FSX won't open

I have had MSFSX on my computer for years. Now when i try to open it I get the MSFSX Splash screen then it drops off and the program disappears and doesn't run. All I can say is all was well well until I kept up on my windows update and my Nvidia card up date. I uninstalled and reinstalled MSFSX and still no go. Also I purchased MSFSXs Steam version and the same thing happens. I have Avast anti virus and checked the exceptions and firewall and found no issue there. I have a descent system and like I said iv played MSFSX for years until now Could anybody help me with this issue?

Have you tried rolling back your NVidia Driver to the previous version? Lots of topics about this causing what you are seeing.

This also!https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/602841-fsx-will-not-start/?do=findComment&comment=4567300

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Very good Charlie.

I have an Nvidia GTX 1080 in a new PC that will be for MSFS (with Windows 10, of course) and I found out that I will have to use 2017 Nvidia drivers or the card won't work. The 'latest' Nvidia drivers updated by Windows 10 will not work.

If you get IOBit uninstaller it will do a complete uninstall of drivers (including registry entries, which is crucial). It's free. I won't use anything else to do uninstalls. The Nvidia uninstaller doesn't do a complete job.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

:):)It Worked Thank you for the advise only one thing. Question. I do need to update my Nvidia drivers from time to time because i also use MSFS2020. I understand MSFS2020 wants users to be current on windows store and windows updates. I will be contacting Nvidia about this as well. Could you give me any advise on this as well? Anyway thank you for your help I really appreciated it:)

The 2017 Nvidia drivers applies ESPECIALLY to Windows 10 and FS2020!!! Turn off auto updates (until you get another video card - HA). You can let Win 10 do updates but choose option to download but not auto run/install. You can choose to NOT install what you research and decide you don't want (ie: video card drivers). Stupid Windows makes you work your a** off if you want to do flight simulator - it's not right but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).