Aircraft pitch up with reduced power?

sonett3

Firstly just want to say how much I've appreciated the generosity of those who create freeware aircraft for us to enjoy over the past 17years (can it really be that long!). One issue I've had with one or two otherwise great models is the flight characteristic of pitching up when you reduce power and down when you increase it. As I understand it the opposite should be the case - as you accelerate airflow over the wings increases and with it lift. It makes a controlled descent on approach difficult and unrealistic? Is there anything that can be adjusted to improve this in the aircraft file? Thank you

when I encounter funny behaviour with aircraft I find another model of the same and look in the aircraft.cfg and in some cases swap then over, a lot of times it saves me the trouble and also cures the problem.

Col.

Firstly just want to say how much I've appreciated the generosity of those who create freeware aircraft for us to enjoy over the past 17 years (can it really be that long!). One issue I've had with one or two otherwise great models is the flight characteristic of pitching up when you reduce power and down when you increase it. As I understand it the opposite should be the case - as you accelerate airflow over the wings increases and with it lift. It makes a controlled descent on approach difficult and unrealistic? Is there anything that can be adjusted to improve this in the aircraft file? Thank you

High wing or low? Name the model.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Both aircraft in question, Blackburn Skua and Comper Kite, should be pretty much all in line so behave conventionally you would imagine. I have a Supermarine Walrus with its high mounted engine, which behaves perfectly, ie cut throttle gently, nose slowly drops and aircraft descends, add power and it climbs. The difficulty with the other two is that you cut power slightly, the nose comes up, speed tends to bleed off so the nose comes up further, and vice verse making trimming very tricky and in the rear world the aircraft inherently dangerous! I've tried playing around with c of g and engine height in the Comper aircraft.cfg but there are clearly other factors at work as it doesn't improve things, in fact makes them worse.

Hi,

the plane which flies correctly is High Wing A N D a pusher and it behaves correctly when power is reduced.

IF you would relocate the engine as a puller than .... it would behave differently by Pitching Up with Power Reduction.

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein