Frame rate problems? Help is reportedly coming from Asobo

"Asobo is introducing some substantial updates to Microsoft Flight Simulator. In a livestream showcasing the forthcoming Sim Update 5, the development team did a compare and contrast between the two versions. The differences were striking. Where Sim Update 4 struggled to stay about 30fps with a 100 percent CPU load, Sim Update 5 hit a cool 60fps on Ultra Settings using real flying conditions — and all this on an i7-9700k rig with an RTX 2060 Super graphics card."

https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-flight-simulator-framerate-improvements

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Only thing odd about this is for some reason they demonstrated this at 40 render scale in there live stream. If similar improvements come when leaving the RS at 100 4K then I will be happy provided these "improvements" have not come with even more downgrades in visual quality.

ASOBO; "Oh carp it looks like we did something to the tree LOD. No problem it will give them a few more FPS well just call it an optimization"

Edited by natman1965

I do hope the new optimizations don't come at a diminished visual experience! I don't have any problem with frame rates, and I have them maxed at 30 fps, which my system easily maintains in the areas I fly, and my system is about two years old. 71 fps is of no use to me, as I have a monitor refresh limit of 60. Even at 30 fps, my sim is smooth.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I do hope the new optimizations don't come at a diminished visual experience! I don't have any problem with frame rates, and I have them maxed at 30 fps, which my system easily maintains in the areas I fly, and my system is about two years old. 71 fps is of no use to me, as I have a monitor refresh limit of 60. Even at 30 fps, my sim is smooth.

Thanks, I suspected the last optimisation was at the cost of the visuals, that fact you mentioned it confirms it for me... I've never said online but since the optimization I have noticed a slight drop in quality of the graphics, it now looks ever so slightly pixelated compared to before.... The average eye would not notice, the photographer side of me notices it I even went through the graphics setting thinking something has changed....... I have my setting's limited to 30 frames smooth as butter! I will up it to 60 when i start making videos in earnest but otherwise 30 is my sweet spot....

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

You sound about like me. I lock things down at 30 fps too and given the area I fly in the flat lands of west coast FL I can crank most things up to ultra and maintain the 30 FPS. Even the tree LOD that I complained about seems to be better when you not up in the hills. According to the photogrammetry/Bing imagery in Miami the condo collapse there never happened. I wish that was true of real life

Edited by natman1965

Not disputing you, daspinall, but I have looked closely and do not see any change in the graphics -- no pixelation that I can detect, even with a magnifying glass.

it may come down to screen res, I use HD screens in K4 it may still look awesome, but the said I've noticed a very slight drop in quality in VR I think pixelated was the wrong term I'd say noise is more accurate although as said before it's ever so slight.. I see it more in the vegetation grass and trees it's not quite as clean as before.... I thought it was just me put it appears to have been noticed by another simer, I also think the global lighting is not quite as good as in the original release... The dynamic lighting range I would say has suffered too... it's become more akin to a camera dynamic range rather than the human eye.....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz