Perth CTD Upon Approach

Jarhead1971

I'm stumped.

Flying IFR from Sydney to Perth, absolutely smooth flight.

Descent from FL360 to FL250, smooth as silk.

Descent from FL250 to FL150, smooth as silk.

Get to PIY marker and begin my final descent and turn toward approach marker and my A330-300 went from 250kts to 000kts in a split second. Plane dropped slowly out of the sky and "landed" on grass surrounded by trees, then CTD.

Rather than start that flight over, I got into a Fokker 100 at Albany and flew to Bunbury and north to Perth.

Everything fine until I was 15 miles out, cleared to land on Runway 3.

CTD.

Tried starting from Perth: CTD.

Ideas?

PER International. YPPH.

Nothing new in scenery. I have been ignoring Australia for quite some time and decided it was time to go explore it.

This is actually the first time I have sim flown Australia in FS2004: A Century of Flight, even though I've had it since it came out.

I have FSX also, but have yet to fly Australia in it, too.

I am basically a CFS2 guy. Flown some over Australia in CFS2.

I know it has to be a scenery conflict.

I figured perhaps there was a known issue you all would have already covered with a specific Perth area scenery conflict.

I wasn't clear.

Yes, I had add-on scenery, but installed long ago. Just never flew into Perth.

It was by Claude Schmidt from back in 2003.

I removed it and restarted the sim and flew into Perth default airport without problem.

One of Claude's bgl files must be causing the CTD.

I will search for newer YPPH scenery files for FS2004 and see what I can find.

I'm having too much enjoyment flying around virtual Australia to give up now....

I've had the same problem myself when flying ATC but not (yet) at Perth. After much searching and sweating I found that there were errors in the Afcad file of the destination airport. The start positions turned out to be the cause, which was consequently also confirmed by the Afcad "fault finder" process. I deleted the start positions and replaced them with my own = end of problem.

Another possibility is that your Perth airport is a duplicate, whereby "duplicate" means that the addon Afcad header data does not EXACTLY match the default header data. You will normally be able to see this in the FSNavigator map, where two of the same YPPH ICAO codes can then be seen very close to each other, in other words, on top of each other = a duplicate.

Hope this helps.

Hans

Thanks guys.

I removed Claude's Perth and put in Ray Smith's AFCAD and it all works fine now.

I have Claude's other airports and no problems. Perhaps I will place each bgl back in one at a time and see which one(s) cause the issue.

I'll also look for the duplicate in the map, if any.

Lee