Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with GPU update

Quote Originally Posted by sfojimbo View Post
    The i7 990X will only work with DDR-3 memory; but there is one possibility that might buy you some throughput. The i7 990X processor only requires 1066 mz memory which is almost the slowest DDR-3 memory made. If your installed memory is 1066, swapping it out with faster memory might make a difference since you say your CPU is overclocked. With faster memory, you might even be able to overclock it a bit more - if your motherboard will step up the memory timings along with overclocking.

The only reason I suggest this is because DDR-3 memory is so cheap these days and you or someone you may know may have some DDR-3 1600 or 1866 gathering dust in a closet.

If you do step up the processor throughput of your rig one way or another, please let us know how it affects MSFS performance. This is all very interesting.

I am using 24 Gb DDR3 1333 memory, at three 8 Gb channels, and can buy DDR3 1866 at good price here.- Do you think I can get some better performance ? is worth to get it ?
    Thanks

If the price is $20.00 or less it could be worth a try, but I wouldn't bet more than that on it. Look in your BIOS and see if there's a way to change memory timings; if so, it might be worth trying, if not, then it might just continue to run at 1066 even with the faster chips. If you can boost memory timings, you might be able to squeeze some performance from your 1333 chips before you spend anything.

Your processor isn't a complete slouch, I would guess that you just have an unfortunate timing match between main memory and the 3060 clock rate. A 10% boost in memory speed might bring double the transfer rate. This is all a guess though.

I don't think you need to lament the fact that you have DDR-3 memory especially if you can get it to run at 1866mz. When DDR-4 was announced a few years ago, it got fairly bad reviews, the techies didn't think it brought a very notable performance boost.
    i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

I suggest waiting until the next sim update later this month, which is suppose to provide a performance boost. After this you will have a clearer picture of where things stands as far as performance.

In MY opinion, and the OP did ask for opinions, I have found it to be true that every 3-5 years a jumbo feature-packed latest and greatest new whiz-bang piece of amusement software is created that pretty much forces me to scrap my current desktop Windows PC and buy an upgraded one if I want to play said software.

I did this with MSFS2020, along with buying 200mbps Xfinity servce, a yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals and a head tracking rig to enhance my simulated flight experience.

My truly 'budget' PC hardware allows me to enjoy MSFS at moderate levels of gameplay and that suffices.... for now -lol

Asobo's creation is truly an amazing one and its sheer complexity is born out by how difficult it is to correct its minor flaws and also update and improve it on an ongoing basis.

MSFS 2020 is not 'kind' to "old but reliable" hardware and about all I can do is stay within my limited budget and enjoy the game at the levels that budget presents. I heartily agree with the notion of a balanced 'trinity' of CPU/GPU/Internet Speed for best (for me) performance. FWIW I have NOT experienced a CTD or update issue to date.... knock wood.
    "Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
    HP Pavilion Desktop [email protected], 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 200 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke and throttle quadrant, TFRP rudder pedals, Grass Monkey Odyssey IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick

I agree, it is time to go for a new PC, as your MB and processor can't support fast memory and probably fast storage as well. The good news is your new GPU could be installed and work well, in a new PC or you could probably sell it for a profit??
    I have a few ideas on why your performance may have dropped. I suspect the new card by default installs with different settings in the Nvidea Controi Panel. It probably defaults to increased anisotropic filtering, antialiasing, CUDA cores used, texture filtering, FXAA and maybe even a different monitor recognition. Although your sim settings didn't change, Nvidea may have increased the quality in the background, commensurate with modern hardware expectations. What monitor are you running (resolution)? Your old GPU may not have recognized all the capability of your monitor?
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Blog Entries

Every sim I've had in the past forced a rig upgrade.... first the manufacturers raise the bar with CPU's GPU's MB's Ram and the likes which in turn allows the software houses to raise the bar which in turn forces the end user to to upgrade... I see no end to this ever! it's the way things work in the computer world... A software house has to wait for the hardware manufactures to take a leap before they can take a leap.... which all equates to the end user having to spend lots of money to keep up with the game, no pun intended.... when I'm long gone some of you on here will be using quantum computers, and no doubt over time it will progress into something even faster than that....... and since we use less the a third of our brain mass they will probably develop a way to upload the software directly into the brain...
    Last edited by daspinall; 07-02-2021 at 10:17 AM.
    ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*
    Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler
    Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 32GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*
    XFX RX 5600 XT Thicc III ULTRA-14GBPS 6GB Boost UP to 1750MHz GDDR6 3xDP *Overclocked*
    850W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2
    CH Eclipse Yoke Corsair K60 Keyboard Cherry Mouse

One other thing to consider is the type and speed the PCIe slot on the motherboard the video card is in. Is it PCIE 2, PCIe3, is the speed x4, x8, x16? A modern card expecting a PCIe 3 or PCIe 4 slot with x16 data bus will run a lot slower if it's in an older, slower spec slot.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by SamA29 View Post
    One other thing to consider is the type and speed the PCIe slot on the motherboard the video card is in. Is it PCIE 2, PCIe3, is the speed x4, x8, x16? A modern card expecting a PCIe 3 or PCIe 4 slot with x16 data bus will run a lot slower if it's in an older, slower spec slot.

Sam
    Theoretically you are right, but I read some tests about the real diference between PCI 2, PCI 3 and PCI 4 and shows a very little diference in Video Cards real performance, not more than 4%.
    Where the PCI 4 shines is when used with SSD NVMe disks.

I'm really astonished at some of the responses here. Telling someone without checking first to install DD4 RAM (that won't work on his PC and wouldn't make even a slight bit of difference even if it did) is not helpful. He's on a first gen i7 from ten years ago! That's not even close to meeting the minimum standards for MSFS:
    Here are the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 System Requirements (Minimum)
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 or AMD Ryzen 3 1200 or better.

He has an outstanding video card that has no ability whatsoever to be fully utilized because the the CPU and related hardware. It is hardly surprising that he saw no performance boost. Even a five year old used business HP or Dell will give him great results with that card, but his current PC absolutely should not be trying to run MSFS.

Default Balanced System

What this proves is that you can't 'willy-nilly' buy parts and slap them on an 'older' system. You have to go to a PC Shop, determine what CPU you want and go from there as to what PARTS (ie: specs) you NEED for it to be 'balanced' (ie: work properly) as a 'system'. Dual Channel ram for example. Not garage sale ram with every stick being different. They MUST be identical sticks ...or else! Clean uninstall of drivers is crucial. The latest drivers might not work. And if you let Win10 update your GPU driver you may get WORSE performance!! Do research as to what YEAR driver will work for your card and stick to that. Don't let Win10 ruin it for you. Might be 2017 drivers. You have to read up in order to prevail (ie: get CORRECT drivers to get good performance/FPS). So don't blame MSFS for your woes. It is not the 'problem'. Your (unbalanced) system specs are the 'problem'. Simple as that.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast