Autopilot Panel Gauge?

Airplane

Does anyone know if there is an autopilot panel gauge utility that I could use across my FSX fleet? I'm talking about this panel type:

Capture1.JPG

I fly in outside view mode a lot on my big jets and popping up the whole cockpit panel display can become annoying since it takes up so much space. I'd like to have a separate panel gauge such as those included in the default aircraft for things like the EICAS or MFD.

Any leads are appreciated!

Are you looking to do it as easy as possible, like a (shift+N) N=any number between 1-9? Maybe replace the Mini-Panel? The other way would cause you to have to bring up your top menu and go through the list of displays.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Are you looking to do it as easy as possible, like a (shift+N) N=any number between 1-9? Maybe replace the Mini-Panel? The other way would cause you to have to bring up your top menu and go through the list of displays.

Yes, I'd like to use SHIFT+0 to bring up this panel. But the question is how would I only bring up this particular autopilot command strip of the panel...

Which mini-panel do you speak of?

1. No such key combo as Shift+0. Only Shift+1 through Shift+9 Shift+1 brings up [window.0]. Shift+9 brings up [window.8].

Depending on what you don't use frequently in the list of popups, you can change what is brought up. I did this exact popup a few years ago and it took a lot of trial and error to get the size of the autopilot gauge popup correct.

You will be adding a [window.XX] XX= the number in sequence between 0 and 8 that you choose in the panel.cfg of each aircraft. the [window] will look similar to this:

[WindowXX]

size_mm=561,330

position=2

visible=0

BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0

ident=OVERHEAD_PANEL

gauge00=gauge07=B737_800!autopilot, 561,330

Don't forget to add this: (I used the one from the C-172 panel.cfg for simplicity!

[Window Titles]

Window00=Main Panel

Window01=Radio Stack

Window02=GPS

Window03=IFR Panel

Window04=Landing View

Window05=Mini Panel

Window06=AUTOPILOT

Edited by mrzippy

1. No such key combo as Shift+0. Only Shift+1 through Shift+9 Shift+1 brings up [window.0]. Shift+9 brings up [window.8].

Depending on what you don't use frequently in the list of popups, you can change what is brought up. I did this exact popup a few years ago and it took a lot of trial and error to get the size of the autopilot gauge popup correct.

You will be adding a [window.XX] XX= the number in sequence between 0 and 8 that you choose in the panel.cfg of each aircraft. the [window] will look similar to this:

[WindowXX]

size_mm=561,330

position=2

visible=0

BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0

ident=OVERHEAD_PANEL

gauge00=gauge07=B737_800!autopilot, 561,330

Don't forget to add this: (I used the one from the C-172 panel.cfg for simplicity!

[Window Titles]

Window00=Main Panel

Window01=Radio Stack

Window02=GPS

Window03=IFR Panel

Window04=Landing View

Window05=Mini Panel

Window06=AUTOPILOT

Thank you so much for the rest of the info, I'm gonna try this out! Could you please also let me know the configuration to add in the panel.cfg that I could also use for the default A321 autopilot panel? I've been trying to figure out the size and location measurements to add but I've given up since I just can't for the life of me.

What I meant previously was that I'd add a key command to bring up the autopilot panel by using SHIFT+0, since it's unused in the key commands. So I could use a SHIFT+0 that brings up [window.09].

I'd want to use a key command to bring up the panel instead of having to go to the menu bar and bringing up the panel repeatedly if I switch views (like from Outside view to Cockpit view). Do you know how I could enable this key configuration?

I don't think that Shift+0 would give you a popup of [window.09]. You can probably use the [window.XX] in my example, for any aircraft.

A good read here:https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?288953-How-to-access-more-than-8-instrument-panels-using-the-keyboard

Edited by mrzippy

I don't think that Shift+0 would give you a popup of [window.09]. You can probably use the [window.XX] in my example, for any aircraft.

A good read here:https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?288953-How-to-access-more-than-8-instrument-panels-using-the-keyboard

Gosh I guess I'll do away with the keystroke entry. Rather complicated and arduous!

I entered the edits in the panel.cfg for the default 737 that you replied with, but nothing appears. The top menu bar has an option for the AUTOPILOT panel, but only shows a black box. What am I doing wrong? (I've cross checked the WindowsXX and gaugeXX numbers, but still nothing.)

Sorry, I don't have any Sim installed on this Chromebook so I can't load it up to check. It may not like the ident=OVERHEAD_PANEL entry or something similar.

I also remember an addon aircraft that had a click-on icon for autopilot popup. I also used the a/p gauge from the 737-400 from FS2004.

I will do some further searching though my files that are on a USB stick that I saved a few years ago.

This is a sample of the 737-400 A/P popup I used: (you can ignore the window number.

[Window02]

Background_color=16,16,16

size_mm=360,80

position=6

visible=0

ident=OVERHEAD_PANEL

gauge00=737-400!Autopilot,5,5,350,70

Edited by mrzippy

Sorry, I don't have any Sim installed on this Chromebook so I can't load it up to check. It may not like the ident=OVERHEAD_PANEL entry or something similar.

I also remember an addon aircraft that had a click-on icon for autopilot popup. I also used the a/p gauge from the 737-400 from FS2004.

I will do some further searching though my files that are on a USB stick that I saved a few years ago.

This is a sample of the 737-400 A/P popup I used: (you can ignore the window number.

[Window02]

size_mm=360,80

position=6

visible=0

ident=OVERHEAD_PANEL

Should I try this entry in the panel folder? And is this the A/P gauge from FS2004 you were referring to that you used?

Airplane: If you are installing into FSX, FSX-SE, then MrZippy gave you the correct listing in his post #4. Just copy and post what he mentioned in post 4 above, with the exception of the window number, which might be different in your case. Change that to whatever number is appropriate for your installation.

The one thing that's easy to get hung up on is.. the gauge is " gaugeXX=B737_800!autopilot, 561,330 for FSX, the one mentioned in the other posts, 737-400!Autopilot is for FS2004. Your FSX install may not have this gauge in the GAUGES FOLDER, whereas B737_800 is in FSX by default. It's very easy to overlook and confuse the two . This would explain why you have a black square and not the gauge itself. Please note that is an UNDERSCORE not a HYPHEN.. between the numbers... Good luck...tp

Edited by simtech95209

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

The 737-400!Autopilot gauge was from the TDS 737 when first released for FSX. They included all of the necessary gauges for the 737-400 2D panel with their download.

• 2 months later...
The 737-400!Autopilot gauge was from the TDS 737 when first released for FSX. They included all of the necessary gauges for the 737-400 2D panel with their download.

No luck with the autopilot gauge. :/ I've attached a screenshot below. It's still popping up as a black box.

Capture1.JPG

Here's the Panel CFG edits; I've added the autopilot entry into the Trim Panel section as I don't use that panel too much.

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG

What am I doing wrong?

This is the A/P pop up I used in may of my aircraft using the 737-400 autopilot.

Notice what I have in RED.

[Window05]

size_mm=360,80

position=6

visible=0

ident=OVERHEAD_PANEL

Try substituting the 737-800 gauge to replace the 737-400.

Airplane, referring to your panel.cfg, you have "gauge=00=gauge=07.". This won't fly It must read whatever next gauge # only once ie: "gauge07= 737_800!Autopilot,5,5,350,70"

PLUS

the numbers after the gauge file has to have four descriptors : x pos, y pos, x size and y size.

Yours only has two descriptors.

I suggest correcting these glitches and then post back your results...Good luck.....

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

No luck with the revised panel.cfg.

Capture4.JPG

And the revised panel.cfg

Capture5.JPG

Also, just to make it clear, I hope this "add-on" does not require any sort of 3rd party utility, because I'm guessing the panel edit would incorporate the autopilot mini panel from the default panel itself from FSX. I don't have any add-on downloaded for the panel, just to be clear.

Maybe try using 0, 0, 0 for background color??

Since I don't have any Sim installed, I don't think I'll be of much more help on this. I just remember it was a pain in the butt when I was fooling around with it! The 737-400 A/P was much better!

Edited by mrzippy

Airplane, here's my entry from an AC I used the AP popup:

[Window06]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=450,80

position=5

visible=0

ident=COMPASS_PANEL

gauge00=737-400!Autopilot, 0,0,450,80

You have to be sure that the 737-400.gau and the 737-400.dll files are in the main FSX gauges folder.

If you don't have the 737-400 then try substituting 737_800.cab in the gauges folder.

Ray and Mr. Z above have good suggestions. You should be good to go.. Keep us posted..tp

I would try changing the first line to:

BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0

And, changing the last line to:

gauge00=B737_800!autopilot, 5,5,350,70

This fixed it! Thank you so much Ray.

Capture9.JPG

Now all that's left is for a default A321 autopilot panel. Would you be knowing how to add that mini-panel to the sim by any chance?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

Got the A321 mini autopilot up and running too, with just a quick edit in the gauge line in the A321 panel cfg. Instead of the "B737_800!autopilot" line entry, I just had to replace it with "gauge00=Airbus_A321!popup_overhead, 0, 0".

One thing I haven't been able to get my hands on is how to make the mini panel resize-able without undocking the panel window itself in the sim. I've entered the sizeable=1 line entry but it's not helping. Any help on this?

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, although the autopilot panels are up and running, still can't seem to be able to resize the panel without going into window mode in FSX and undocking it manually.

Could anybody please shed some light on what might help resize the windows in full screen mode?

Hi,

You could try changing the info relating to the panel sizing...

Look at the info from the example posted in post #19 - you will see a entry line titled size_mm=450,80

The same figures are quoted directly at the end of the gauage00= entry....

One entry relates to the holding 'window' size and the other relates to the actual gauge size itself

Try changing these numbers to get the size you want - in the example the first figure (450) gives the screen width and the second (80) the depth/height....simply make sure that both entries have the same numbers....

The position= entry determines where on the screen the gauge popup is displayed and can be 0 - 8 with 0 being located at top left....

Note - this option will not allow you to adjust the size on the fly by dragging the mouse but at least you will be able to set it to a size that suits you....experimenting is the game here using small increments each time....

Regards

Brian