How Do They Get Those Waves??

Todays' Home page shows a link to a promo video for the JustFlight Stearman biplane. Towards the end, there's a shot of the Stearman about 10 feet up in the air over highly realistic waves, including some whitecaps. The Stearman, I note, is a small airplane, and its top speed is said to be 96kts.

The only way I can get real-looking waves in MSFS is by cranking the wind up so high that I can't control a plane -- and certainly not a slow, little plane. I had resigned myself to this deficiency, and prior threads have indicated that my frustration is shared by many. But the Stearman video has rekindled my envy. Look, someone had to do that video in MSFS with a Stearman. What do they know that I (and many others) do not know about getting wave action in MSFS? With manageable winds, my ocean looks like a millpond!

Could it be one of the new features due out at the end of July? We already know that amphibious aircraft will have a wake as they land... landing on snow will price tracks... dust will fly up behind aircraft..etc

So presumably waves will be more realistic too.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Could it be one of the new features due out at the end of July? We already know that amphibious aircraft will have a wake as they land... landing on snow will price tracks... dust will fly up behind aircraft..etc

Wow, really?

Further info available somewhere?

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Wow, really?

Further info available somewhere?

:)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

The only way I can get real-looking waves in MSFS is by cranking the wind up so high that I can't control a plane -- and certainly not a slow, little plane.

I think MSFS has the best representation of waves and water of any sim by far, DCS would be 2nd. From all the times I've flown over water in real life, I don't think its all that off. sure maybe a bit less wind to make it choppy would be nice, but it's really close I think. some complained that they can't see cloud reflections in certain scenarios. In all reality, the only time I EVER see the clouds reflecting off water in real life is in perfectly glass water. below is a photo from when we flew through yellowstone to KWYS on the last leg of the day from Ohio. you can easily see where the wind is a lot stronger and where the water is being stirred up. I've only ever seen this in MSFS, no other sim. 20210530_172750.jpg

I think MSFS has the best representation of waves and water of any sim by far, DCS would be 2nd. From all the times I've flown over water in real life, I don't think its all that off. sure maybe a bit less wind to make it choppy would be nice, but it's really close I think. some complained that they can't see cloud reflections in certain scenarios. In all reality, the only time I EVER see the clouds reflecting off water in real life is in perfectly glass water. below is a photo from when we flew through yellowstone to KWYS on the last leg of the day from Ohio. you can easily see where the wind is a lot stronger and where the water is being stirred up. I've only ever seen this in MSFS, no other sim. [ATTACH=CONFIG]226637[/ATTACH]

Yes, I admit the MSFS ocean has texture that would be realistic, if only it were a lake. Aesthetic opinions will differ, but I think P3D with Rex Texture Direct looks better, on the whole.

I take few screen shots over ocean water in MSFS because it looks so unreal to me, but here's one at Cape Henlopen, where Delaware Bay meets the Atlantic. I can't say the ocean has never looked that calm anywhere; just that I've never seen it -- and I've spent a lot of time in, over and under the ocean.

Lewes Approach 2.jpg