Does FSX exist anymore?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m enjoying MSFS so far, and the free a320 fly by wire is fantastic.

Would I ever use this to obtain a real world license? Of course not. Does that bother me? Not in the least.

https://19216801.onl/ https://routerlogin.uno/

I’m enjoying it like those who are enjoying past sims. That’s all that counts isn’t it?

I got this,..

I'm back to FSX! I might even load up FS2004 again. These sims have given me so much enjoyment. Had my day with MSFS. It was like a bad vacation and it's good to be home.

lol MSFS was that bad huh?? i'm glad i didn't waste good money on it then if it sucks that bad. what is it bad graphics?

giving up on flight simulation for good:D

• 1 month later...

Flame War Avoidance Disclaimer: This post is 100% my subjective opinion. It's only intention is sharing a part of me, not trying to convince anyone to change his/her preference/opinion regarding Flight Sim.

FSX will be the chronological end point for my flight simulator collection. My first exposure to the hobby was FS4 on a tiny black and white Mac back in the early 90s. I was 12. I remember painfully longing for the IBM version with all it's amazing add ons, and a machine that could actually run it smoothly in color. I also distinctly remember the first time I saw the bundled Sublogic ATP with the USA East/West scenery. It was in the Cherry Creek Mall in Denver. The entire US modeled in one place, what an innovation! Then ATP 3DAGS with the first attempt at an FMS/Moving Map, unbelievable!

I finally got my first PC, A Compaq Presario running a P75, in 1995. Flight Simulators were my first exposure to aviation and ended up being the inspiration for my professional pilot career. Regrettably now, I ended up donating all of it to my high school science department when I was in college. Until 2017, the last time I had anything to do with FS was a dabble with FS2002 after I got furloughed following 9/11.

After many years of exclusively doing the real thing, I was caught off guard by how much my curiosity was re-peaked in 2017 when I randomly came across a sealed copy of ATP/USA East/West on eBay. I never ended up getting it before, so I bought it, along with a 486 DX4 100 I found to run it! Over the last five years I have been on a time-compressed FS collection journey of acquiring/reacquiring simulators and PCs. The journey has ranged from FS4 to FS9, including almost every civilian simulator in between. After recently building my first custom PC for FS9, a Windows XP P4 670, the final frontier is FSX.............along with another custom build for it ;)

For all the reasons you all are mentioning, FSX is looking like my final sweet spot in the hobby. Nothing against P3D, X-Plane, or even MSFS, but there is something magical to me about FSX that the others are missing. For whatever reason, my niche in the sim is mostly the world of commercial aviation, circa the 90s and early 2000s. I like to see the aircraft/airlines/airports represented in a sim as they were then. Hah, again everyone, COMPLETELY subjective here ;) I also like a sim to leave at least a slight delineation between the real world and sim world. That blurring really accelerates with P3D, more so with X-Plane, and is officially gone with MSFS. It's understandably inevitable in the progression of the hobby......so be it. But despite the technological achievement, it's meh for me. Even with allllllllll the scenery add ons, FSX still manages to look like a cartoon...................but at an amazing level of detail. So cool.

With the exception of a few true pieces of garbage along the way, most sims have their place in the world. I much prefer the boxed versions of things and have been incredibly lucky to eventually find almost everything I've ever wanted on eBay. As an aside though, I'm surprised at how many crucial patches are no longer available.....would think they would have ended up in a centralized repository on some site by now. Thanks to all on forums who share what they have. Anyway, it's great for all of us to have the ability to pick and choose what suits us best. The cool thing about FSX for me, at this moment in time, is that I get to tackle it with mass developer support, full add on availability, reasonable prices, an established user history, and modern hardware. After six months of research, I'm surprised at how much debate there still is about FSX performance, namely it's multi-core capability. I look forward to answering that question for myself in my new modern build soon!

Thanks for all the posts and to those of you who continue to educate me!

Edited by Ottersphere

You sound like you were much like me, although I had the good fortune to never have been furloughed.

An often overlooked advantage of the older sims like FSX, FS9 and XP 11 is that they delivered with the nav database that existed at that time. Every day now, it seems, I look at a sectional or IFR chart and discover that another VOR that I knew from time immemorial has bitten the dust. Unfortunately, the data from Navigraph reflect these changes; and flying like we did it in the "old days", using Jet Routes and airways, is no longer fully possible on an updated sim. Until someone comes up with a way to preserve the old navaids and airways in a modern setup, those old sims, non-updated (for nav data) will be our only link to the past!

Over at Justflight everythings now geared for P3D and MSFS, poor old FSX now resides a long way down the list. Interestingly the prices are still high imo.

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Yes boys and girls, MSFS has sucked the life out of the older sims. If you enjoy the older sims, keep using them. I still get a kick out of changing panel configurations or painting the older files. There are plenty of files yet to be discovered in the older sims to keep anybody busy.

Flight Sim developers need to earn income, so MSFS is the way to go for them and I have no problem with that. But as long as I can keep my wallet shut, I will continue to enjoy FS9 and FSX.

For all the reasons you all are mentioning, FSX is looking like my final sweet spot in the hobby. Nothing against P3D, X-Plane, or even MSFS, but there is something magical to me about FSX that the others are missing. For whatever reason, my niche in the sim is mostly the world of commercial aviation, circa the 90s and early 2000s. I like to see the aircraft/airlines/airports represented in a sim as they were then. Hah, again everyone, COMPLETELY subjective here ;) I also like a sim to leave at least a slight delineation between the real world and sim world. That blurring really accelerates with P3D, more so with X-Plane, and is officially gone with MSFS. It's understandably inevitable in the progression of the hobby......so be it. But despite the technological achievement, it's meh for me. Even with allllllllll the scenery addons, FSX still manages to look like a cartoon...................but at an amazing level of detail. So cool.

This is the single most fascinating statement I've seen in any flightsim forum.

This is the single most fascinating statement I've seen in any flightsim forum.

The old sims are the best! To prove it, here's a real pilot using one:

Earhart.jpg

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hah, don’t overthink it cobalt!

For context and clarification, I would use “cartoonish” as a descriptor for most sims starting with FS5 when textures began, all the way through FSX, and even maybe P3D to some extent. Another way of saying it would be easily distinguishable from what things look like from the cockpit in real life. In contrast, I would not describe MSFS that way as it looks incredibly close to real life IMO.

Also please don’t interpret cartoonish as a criticism, as it is quite the opposite in this case :)

Hah, don’t overthink it cobalt!

For context and clarification, I would use “cartoonish” as a descriptor for most sims starting with FS5 when textures began, all the way through FSX, and even maybe P3D to some extent. Another way of saying it would be easily distinguishable from what things look like from the cockpit in real life. In contrast, I would not describe MSFS that way as it looks incredibly close to real life IMO.

Also please don’t interpret cartoonish as a criticism, as it is quite the opposite in this case :)

Unless you have wiiiide experience, the whole world over, I would have to ask you how you know WHAT the ground should look like, from the air?

I have hundreds of hours, VFR, in the UK and I declare no such experience in my view.

Let me know how much air time you have in the real world in Europe, Africa, Asia, the USA and the ROTW... I will then be in a better position to assess your opinons.

Thanks for the clarification. As a matter of fact, I agree with you that FSX is cartoonish and MSFS is not. It's just that in my years of reading posts in this and other forums, "cartoonish" has always been a derogatory term in reference to any flightsim program, so your usage presents a whole new perspective!

I have over 10,000 hours as a professional pilot in both Part 121 & 135 operations. North and South America. I have four type ratings and am currently a Citation X Captain for a 135 operator. I’ve also looked out the window A LOT as a passenger in other regions of the world.

Also, as I said in my first long post on this thread, I’m not trying to change anyone’s opinion about ANY flight simulator. I’m just sharing mine in a way that provides some context for my affinity for FSX, which is the topic of this thread.

Relax y’all, this is flight simulator, not brain surgery. It’s supposed to be fun ;) My whole intention in posting here was just to connect with others who love FSX too, for whatever reason :)

Edited by Ottersphere

Hi everyone.

>

Not likely to happen , see my last paragraph.

I've been in RW and SimW for many years. My first sim was before PC sims existed.

I wrote my own Nav VOR, ADF sim on the Main frame, and Minis, before PC existed, had all the Micros sims, and many hundreds of hrs in the 6DOF C130.

I've purchase just about every sim since they first showed up, toys / games and for Professional training and built my own 3DOF motion chairs..., created my own acft from scratch and modified many of the existing flight models to better approximate what I know to be more Real life like representation of the actual acft flight dynamics that I fly in Real World.

In my opinion this is the absolute worse release that I've seen.

When I first used it and did an approach into an airport that I fly into on a daily basis, I did not recognize it at all. The Tower was the wrong shape, there were trees and building.. where they should not have been, the Flight dynamics model was incorrect, even the numbers were off...

I expected a lot from this sim, it had a good foundation and my hope was that they will continue to improve on that not turning it into a game / toy / scenery viewer that forces you to be on the Inet, and have MS smell your shorts every time you want to practice and or use the sim. Add to that the continuous forced on us, broken updates.. and you have a huge disappointment.

I have no real hope for this to become a useful sim / tool, ever, and as long as I can use FSX and XP11 with my own scenery this will not be used and I do not recommend it to any serious aspiring pilot.

There will be what I refer to as fanatics, pretenders, that will never listen to any constructive input and will try to discredit people that actually have the best intentions to improve everyone's experience including this sim.

Hi everyone.

>

Not likely to happen , see my last paragraph.

I've been in RW and SimW for many years. My first sim was before PC sims existed.

I wrote my own Nav VOR, ADF sim on the Main frame, and Minis, before PC existed, had all the Micros sims, and many hundreds of hrs in the 6DOF C130.

I've purchase just about every sim since they first showed up, toys / games and for Professional training and built my own 3DOF motion chairs..., created my own acft from scratch and modified many of the existing flight models to better approximate what I know to be more Real life like representation of the actual acft flight dynamics that I fly in Real World.

In my opinion this is the absolute worse release that I've seen.

When I first used it and did an approach into an airport that I fly into on a daily basis, I did not recognize it at all. The Tower was the wrong shape, there were trees and building.. where they should not have been, the Flight dynamics model was incorrect, even the numbers were off...

I expected a lot from this sim, it had a good foundation and my hope was that they will continue to improve on that not turning it into a game / toy / scenery viewer that forces you to be on the Inet, and have MS smell your shorts every time you want to practice and or use the sim. Add to that the continuous forced on us, broken updates.. and you have a huge disappointment.

I have no real hope for this to become a useful sim / tool, ever, and as long as I can use FSX and XP11 with my own scenery this will not be used and I do not recommend it to any serious aspiring pilot.

There will be what I refer to as fanatics, pretenders, that will never listen to any constructive input and will try to discredit people that actually have the best intentions to improve everyone's experience including this sim.

While I didn't have any problems with the updates, I understand your negativity. I personally enjoy FS over FSX, but that's me. I'm not looking to acquire a license, so for me it's a great leisurely past time. I did buy Vegas scenery as I too was disappointed in the airport which in real life, is near my workplace, but also the default scenery didn't even have Raiders Stadium.

I'm a huge fan of the free Airbus FlyByWire. It's damn near payware quality, so I'm happy.

As I've so often said, to each their own. I wouldn't go so far as to call it the "absolute worse release" tho.

Sorry for turning this into a FS thread, but I just wanted to respond to Flytv1.

Edited by kingnorris
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home