Does FSX exist anymore?

That's not true at all but ok.

Yes it is. I've even given an example with golf games. I've been giving examples in my last couple of posts.

Again, I have a great answer for this but I won't bother because it's pointless

I guess I will just have to take your word that you have great wisdom...again. lol

Mark Daniels

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is. I've even given an example with golf games. I've been giving examples in my last couple of posts.

I guess I will just have to take your word that you have great wisdom...again. lol

You want examples? Ok, here's some examples of recent games that have gotten popular and DON'T have the most realistic graphics:

Among Us

Valorant

Apex Legends

Fortnite

Cuphead

Team Fortress 2

Pretty much every game on the Nintendo Wii (1595 games)

Pretty much every game on the Nintendo DS (2042 games)

Most games on the Nintendo Switch (154 games so far)

In the racing sim world, some new releases with arguably better graphics, have been complete failures because they're not as realistic as their predecessors, and are worse games overall:

DiRT 5 was a complete failure compared to the previous DiRT game by Codemasters, DiRT Rally 2.0

Project Cars 3 was a complete failure compared to Project Cars 2.

That's 3978 examples, and most of these are games that people actually have played and were popular. I have never in my life met someone who plays golf games.

Let me know if you want my examples on how you're wrong about MSFS users only caring about graphics.

Edited by jeanl2

You want examples? Ok, here's some examples of recent games that have gotten popular and DON'T have the most realistic graphics:

Among Us

Valorant

Apex Legends

Fortnite

Cuphead

Team Fortress 2

Pretty much every game on the Nintendo Wii (1595 games)

Pretty much every game on the Nintendo DS (2042 games)

Most games on the Nintendo Switch (154 games so far)

In the racing sim world, some new releases with arguably better graphics, have been complete failures because they're not as realistic as their predecessors, and are worse games overall:

DiRT 5 was a complete failure compared to the previous DiRT game by Codemasters, DiRT Rally 2.0

Project Cars 3 was a complete failure compared to Project Cars 2.

That's 3978 examples, and most of these are games that people actually have played and were popular. I have never in my life met someone who plays golf games.

Let me know if you want my examples on how you're wrong about MSFS users only caring about graphics.

Well...that tells me all I need to know.

No, you would never have met anyone who plays golf games. I could've probably told you that after reading the rest of your post even if you didn't mention it.

Your post demonstrates a great list of "modern" and "arcade" style games. I couldn't imagine you NOT preferring MSFS to any of the other flight sims.

I can see I'm wasting my time arguing with you. It's pretty clear the type of gamer you are.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Well...that tells me all I need to know.

No, you would never have met anyone who plays golf games. I could've probably told you that after reading the rest of your post even if you didn't mention it.

Your post demonstrates a great list of "modern" and "arcade" style games. I couldn't imagine you NOT preferring MSFS to any of the other flight sims.

I can see I'm wasting my time arguing with you. It's pretty clear the type of gamer you are.

Just because I enjoy playing arcade games doesn't mean I don't want MSFS to be as realistic as the other sims. I used FSX and P3D for many, many years, do you think I and many other people would've moved to MSFS if I thought it was a game? No, that's my MS Flight was a complete failure, because it wasn't a flight simulator, it was a game. And I have never met anyone who plays golf games because no one plays them. Instead, I have met many people whom I have flights in VATSIM with, and others who I race with on realistic racing sims. I'm also not sure how my examples don't prove my point, just because I occasionally like to sit down and have a go with some of my other friends at some first person shooters.

There's a reason I use MSFS and not a game like Ace Combat.

Why are the FSX community being so negative toward MSFS, I find this very pathetic indeed.... we live in a world that is constantly moving forward for better or for worst...... get real FSXers and drag your heels in silence!... my sim is better than your sim sounds like a load of little kids.....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Why are the FSX community being so negative toward MSFS, I find this very pathetic indeed.... we live in a world that is constantly moving forward for better or for worst...... get real FSXers and drag your heels in silence!... my sim is better than your sim sounds like a load of little kids.....

I agree. Whatever happened to “if you prefer _____ over ______, great!”

I’m at the point in my life where FSX still gives me enjoyment, as does my now “ancient” PC. I don’t have children and I quit the “buy the newest technology to keep up” phase long ago..

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I have both. I use FSX for serious simming. Plus I can easily customize the gauges, panels and cockpits to look exactly like what I fly, or want to fly.

On the other hand, I use MSFS for pretty jaunts around the patch in their stock Cessna 152. And boy, does my city landscape look real!! However, I cannot customize the panel to look like the ones that I rent, nor can I adjust the flight characteristics. But I expect that they will simplify/expand/explain the SDK sometime in the not-too-distant future to where I can figure out how to do those things that I can do in FSX.

Until then, I'll happily fly both.

Cool beans, okBob

Just because I enjoy playing arcade games doesn't mean I don't want MSFS to be as realistic as the other sims. I used FSX and P3D for many, many years, do you think I and many other people would've moved to MSFS if I thought it was a game? No, that's my MS Flight was a complete failure, because it wasn't a flight simulator, it was a game. And I have never met anyone who plays golf games because no one plays them. Instead, I have met many people whom I have flights in VATSIM with, and others who I race with on realistic racing sims. I'm also not sure how my examples don't prove my point, just because I occasionally like to sit down and have a go with some of my other friends at some first person shooters.

There's a reason I use MSFS and not a game like Ace Combat.

Here's the thing, I would bet a great deal you are no retiree.

Regarding other comments made here, no one is unfairly bashing MSFS but common, when you switch your engines off you are booted back to the main menu I have read. Well that's...GAME OVER! What else can you say? lol

A flight sim with literally no realistic jets? Sheesh, c'mon.

The best you can call MSFS is American Prop Simulator.

I don't fly props and I don't like to fly in the US only.

You MSFS guys telling me if I want to fly a jet around Australia MSFS is the big leap forward???

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Here's the thing, I would bet a great deal you are no retiree.

Regarding other comments made here, no one is unfairly bashing MSFS but common, when you switch your engines off you are booted back to the main menu I have read. Well that's...GAME OVER! What else can you say? lol

A flight sim with literally no realistic jets? Sheesh, c'mon.

The best you can call MSFS is American Prop Simulator.

I don't fly props and I don't like to fly in the US only.

You MSFS guys telling me if I want to fly a jet around Australia MSFS is the big leap forward???

You definitely are unfairly bashing MSFS, starting with the fact that all you know about the sim comes from "i have read". Well, let me yell you, no, when you switch your engines off, it shows you a screen that shows the flight has been logged to your logbook and gives you the option to exit to the main menu, look at your logbook, or continue with your flight. And even that screen is possibly getting removed because people have complained that it's annoying. That's what's great about a sim that is still being supported: You request something and if enough people agree, it's changed!

It's really unfair that you talk about MSFS having no realistic jets considering that vanilla FSX also had no realistic jets, unless you bought something from PMDG or Aerosoft, because MSFS is less then a year old, and the addon devs haven't had the time to convert their massively complex planes. Even then, as I said before, it's not true that the MSFS has no realistic planes: PMDG has already released the DC-6, Aerosoft has released the CRJ, and community mods bring the default A320 and Citation to payware quality for free. Other community mods that focus on specific planes, and the ones that improve the G1000 and G3000 makes many of the other planes payware quality for absolutely free. The only payware quality freeware plane I can think of for FSX is the great Manfred Jahn DC-3 but that's about it.

And the US is not the only country in the sim, every country in the world has satellite imagery, so with just that it's already better than FSX, and Asobo launches free updates every few months that focus on perfecting regions of the world. Out of the 5 world updates, only 1 has focused on the US. The rest have been on the UK, France and Belgium, Nordics and Japan. Even if the region you like to fly in hasn't been in one of these world updates, you can still fly to it and it will still look fantastic. There's also lots of community sceneries that you can get if you don't quite like the default one. There's 178 of Australia alone and also many hundreds for other countries.

We live in a world that is constantly moving. As to whether it is in the forward direction or not depends on goals. Goals are different for each person. I think you just said (my paraphrase) that someone disagreeing publicly with your goals is pathetic. Did I get that right?

I think you also said, "if one is not on the same page as you, they should be quiet." Did I get that one right?

Though I really do enjoy your company on this forum, I actually hope you don't become an elected official. :-)

Must admit I haven't got round to reinstalling FSX SE yet after my unscheduled Windows Reset nuked most of my Steam programs. I have put MSFS back on but, typically, have spent most of the time thus far trying to get it configured and updating all the rather large file downloads.

The big problem as I see it and what will no doubt lead me to wrestle once again with FSX, is that add on development so far as passenger jet aircraft is stagnant. There's the Frankenstein 737, the lovely A320 FBW and the no doubt very expensive PMDG 737 still WIP, but if I want to fly a DC10, MD11, Tristar or any of the older Boeings seems there will be a very long wait, if such aircraft ever appear at all. By now you would have though even something basic from Just Flight might have appeared but, nada.

So FSX will live on, so long as the hardware and OS etc. can run it, for those of us wishing to fly the classic tubeliners.

Vern.

It's somewhat peculiar that a debate rages about the value and sustainability of FSX when even FS2004 is still viable as evidenced by 41 new files having been uploaded here in just the month of June alone!

• 3 weeks later...

FSX does exist and I still love it. Unless you have lots of cash to spend on high end computers to deal with the massive files in MSFS, I, like most of you guys will be staying put.

On a personal level, I admit that I'm a lazy writer, but I have extended my FSX sim to unbelievable standards, no stutters, aircraft performance improvements, scenery, water, terrain, weather,(realworld) in fact just about everything is enhanced, and all on a $450 computer, iG3 chip, NVidia 630GT graphic card, 4GB Ram.

FSX does exist and I still love it. Unless you have lots of cash to spend on high end computers to deal with the massive files in MSFS, I, like most of you guys will be staying put.

On a personal level, I admit that I'm a lazy writer, but I have extended my FSX sim to unbelievable standards, no stutters, aircraft performance improvements, scenery, water, terrain, weather,(realworld) in fact just about everything is enhanced, and all on a $450 computer, iG3 chip, NVidia 630GT graphic card, 4GB Ram.

Way to go dude !!!!!

I have a bullet on my list of things to do to investigate the real world weather thing.

I applaud you for staying away from MSFS.

Wow, lots of replies and info here.

I have moved on to XP11 and enjoy it very much. Tried MSFS and enjoyed the eye candy then deleted it. Maybe in the future? I like the realistic X-PLANE aircraft and a big range of quality freeware.

As far as FSX, there still is a large community of users because the sim is still great and there is much available for it. I enjoy Fightsim.com but there is a large and very active FSX user base at sim-outhouse.com. Try it, both sites are on my daily website visits.

• 2 weeks later...
i am going to be with the other pc pilots sticking with FSX. i have watched Froogle videos about MSFS and i think the graphics look nice and the DC-6 sounds nice. but it's way about my paygrade to pay 120.00$ for the deluxe version. besides i don't have a computer strong enough to run it. and i have FSX the way i want it finally and i have a lot of good flight hours so far. so the new sim might be way better then FSX but im sticking with it for good. it my be 10+years old but it still works great for me:pilot:
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

I play a bunch of old abandoned games. The masses always will go to the latest. I only go to the latest if it’s also the greatest and MSFS is not.

For a flight game which MSFS is, X-Wing from 1993 leaves it for dead imo!

As for flight sims, heck, I will always happily use FS9. Could not care less everyone is gone.

I'm right there with you too. Even though I am attempting to install the latest FS version (MSFS), I :o embarrassingly have a crap TON of $$$$$$$ invested in FSX-SE, mainly in Orbx products, etc. I can't afford to not keep it. As for FS9... It will ALWAYS remain on my system. It is still my favorite simulator :pilot: and I have a ton of $$$$ invested in it as well.

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

I'm right there with you too. Even though I am attempting to install the latest FS version (MSFS), I :o embarrassingly have a crap TON of $$$$$$$ invested in FSX-SE, mainly in Orbx products, etc. I can't afford to not keep it. As for FS9... It will ALWAYS remain on my system. It is still my favorite simulator :pilot: and I have a ton of $$$$ invested in it as well.

Woohoo! Yes! Many people are coming around to the latest is not the greatest idea.

FS9 is great. I don't use FSX because I think it really needs a better CPU than is currently available and when that CPU arrives, I'll possibly use FSX along with FS9. MSFS will never be a consideration. It's not really part of the Microsoft FS franchise but more a modern attempt at a FS clone gone bad. For anyone playing Microsoft Links golf, we have an equivalent version of failure with the recently released Links E6. It's absolutely not the real Links series.

The main thing is enjoyment. If it still makes you happy when you open up FS9 or FSX, you don't have a problem.

Mark Daniels

Woohoo! Yes! Many people are coming around to the latest is not the greatest idea.

FS9 is great. I don't use FSX because I think it really needs a better CPU than is currently available and when that CPU arrives, I'll possibly use FSX along with FS9. MSFS will never be a consideration. It's not really part of the Microsoft FS franchise but more a modern attempt at a FS clone gone bad. For anyone playing Microsoft Links golf, we have an equivalent version of failure with the recently released Links E6. It's absolutely not the real Links series.

The main thing is enjoyment. If it still makes you happy when you open up FS9 or FSX, you don't have a problem.

Agreed. Despite the lower poly models of Virtual Cockpits (which I can fix by downloading upgraded VC's for certain aircraft), I still get a thrill out of FSX. And like you guys, I've invested a ton of money into it with addons like the QW 757, FS Passenger, FS Cabin Crew, GSX levels 1 & 2, JFK v2, and subs to sites like Fly Away Simulation and Flightsim.com. I continue to believe in FSX. It's why I'm picking up my repaint project up after 8 years. B/C I've finally gotten enough experience with Photoshop to make some quality repaints. FSX has a LOT of life still left in it. While the mainstream developers for addons may be moving onto to Prepar3d v4, X-Plane 11, and FS2020, there will still be people working on FS9 and FSX. And there will be other developers who have a desire to keep the FS9/FSX communities alive by continuing development of those two games as well.

I stick with FSX too...

To much $ invested in the last ten years; All ORBX basics + all FTX regions in NA + add-ons airport

+ twenty A2A, Carenado/Alabeo GA aircraft and, like many of us, hours and hours of learning and

tweaks & tuning, fooling with NVIDIA Inspector and Steve's DX fixer to get the most of FSX and the

right balance between graphic details and fps on his dedicated system.

But, more important, I am very happy and satisfied with my FSX set-up and hours of enjoyment still to come...

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

WOW! Cant believe this post has had so many positive replies thanks a bunch all. Like many of you I cannot afford the move up to MSFS my fear was that FSX was getting treated like it never existed.

LONG LIVE FSX!!!

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Reading thru the MSFS forums, seems after almost every update, there are issues. Numerous updates, numerous issues.

I remember FSX SP 1 and 2 were all that was needed. Big difference.

Imagine getting MSFS running just the way you like, then, bam, another update, and it’s back to square one.

No thanks!

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home