Does FSX exist anymore?

If Asobo can eventually get MSFS into a playable state for the MAJORITY of users, and developers feel it's worth it to go all in, I think we will see FSX go the way of FS2000 and FS2004. But I still expect FSX to live on as the others have. I got my first new PC in 7 years, mainly to use MSFS, but that also allowed me for the first time be able to run XP11 and FSX. XP11 was a new experience for me, FSX I have had for years but couldn't get out of the teens in FPS. Now they run like champs. I'm getting to use all the addons I have missed. It's like I just got 3 new flight sims.

Most of my flight time is still in FS2004, and I still pick up pay-ware on occasion and am archiving as much of the quality free stuff as I can. Same as well now with FSX.

Use what you enjoy. There are people who would tell you over a year ago that XP11, or FSX, or P3D were far superior to the others. Then MSFS comes out and those same people are arguing it's the end all be all and everything else is rubbish. These are elitists, or front-runners. "My 2021 BMW makes your 2020 BMW look like garbage". I don't want MSFS to fail, in fact the newest update has doubled my FPS. Which could be a good sign for people with less powerful systems. It's possible if I had only replaced my old vintage nvidia with what I am using in my new rig, I may have been able to run MSFS on my old PC.

In the end, if I enjoy flying from KJFK to KMIA in a CLS 742, using FS9, then that is what I am going to do. If I am the last one doing it, it doesn't affect my enjoyment. When I was flying F19 Stealth Fighter in the late 80s on my Commodore 128, I had no idea and didn't give a darn what everyone else was doing or if I was using the latest/greatest.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if my machine could run 2020 I'd have to pass, since I'd be unwilling to have to reinstall stuff so frequently, especially the add-ons that I'd probably have, not to mention having to (according to numerous comments) even set everything up again. Evidently every update is actually a complete reinstall of the whole sim, ignoring what you did to set it up and making you repeat.

If the install weren't forced on you, that might help, since you could choose to only update once or twice a year, or whatever suited you, but even there the wholesale replacement, ignoring your configuration(s) and add-ons is still unacceptable.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Just to chime in... I always thought FS2004 was the Golden Age of flight simulation. Ran pretty good right out of the box, friendly community, and lots of freeware development. I think I could grab versions of any kind of aircraft I could imagine. I remember FSX release was a disaster. You think MSFS was bad, ha! Nothing compared to FSX to the point they closed down the franchise.

Switched to P3Dv1 as quick as I could when it came how and that had a real bumpy start but stuck through it all the way to P3Dv5.2. Now I am into MSFS and have not looked back. The community is back with loads of freeware. True, more costly for the premium version ($120?), but I find myself buying way less addons than before because the base platform looks so good and all those freeware goodies.

Guess I am saying each platform has had its day in the sun and I have enjoyed each one despite the ups and downs. I have them all still loaded (I mean I literally have Flight Simulator 1 through MSFS installed), but I rarely load them up despite me telling myself I will someday. :)

It's been a fun hobby and a great journey to see such advances.

Funny thing is now, when I use MSFS, and then go to FSX or FS9, my yoke/throttle wont work. I have to reboot the PC. The way this game can affect other things is nuts.

I get MSFS thru the gamepass subscription, which allows me to try other games. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

No matter what people think or hope, there is no guarantee that ASOBO will get things right. I'm also not fully comfortable being joined at the hip with an internet connection and Microsoft for a sim to run fully.

As far as the installs of MSFS, I have only ever had to install the update, and for the most recent, both hotfixes. But that's what is so bad about the whole thing, some people have had NO issues other than a few small ones, and others can't even boot the sim. And for many, it's day to day.

No matter what the fanatic defenders say, MSFS is a trainwreck. If it wasn't there wouldn't be a hotfix to fix a hotfix. Some say they are experiencing no issues, and are able to enjoy it. But that isn't the case for everyone. All the people who deleted P3D/FSX/XP11 on day one and now are finding they can't enjoy their hobby because of issues with MSFS, puzzle me.

But, everything aside, I do hope they get it straight. Because I do love what they have created and the potential of MSFS. If things improve, it would definitely pull me away from all the others.

Edited by ussmidway

I would agree with you as far as FS2004 is concerned. That one is still a classic, perhaps the best of all time in its' day, and I still have the disks, albeit no longer installed on the new computer I got 6 months ago. But the add-ons were superb, particularly the Cal Classics and that other Golden Era site the name of which escapes me at the moment. We get spoiled by the realism, particularly the visual realism, of the new platforms, but those really were the "good old days"!

Reading thru the MSFS forums, seems after almost every update, there are issues. Numerous updates, numerous issues.

By and large, when something goes smoothly people don't go rushing into the forums to say so.

Cheers!

Luke

Well, I will wait for a "MSFS + Acceleration" in a couple of years... :rolleyes:

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

If it makes you feel better, I'm working on repaints for FSX. It's the latest version of Flight Simulator I have, b/c I can't afford X-Plane, Prepar3D, or MSFS. So, I'm doing my best to keep FSX alive.

what repaints are you working on? i don't fly the default stuff much any more I'm all A2A my self. that's another reason i am avoiding MSFS 2020 no A2A

giving up on flight simulation for good:D

Difference between the launch of FSX in 2006, and the overly-hyped MSFS 2020: 2020 had dozens of volunteer beta testers for months supposedly giving feedback to the Asobo Team prior to the actual launch day. I'm sure many problems were apparent more than a year ago - so why are endless fixes still in play? Only Microsoft can answer that one..

I'm sure many problems were apparent more than a year ago - so why are endless fixes still in play? Only Microsoft can answer that one..

I can. It's called the modern gaming industry.

In the past you had to release a decent product to make money. Now you can release complete garbage and all you have to do is state you will continue development into the future. You don't have to spend appropriate development time or expense on your product prior to release and it will still sell like hotcakes.

What happens from this point on varies. As soon as they announced the 10 year development cycle for MSFS I knew what was coming and stated so. People didn't believe me! lol

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Difference between the launch of FSX in 2006, and the overly-hyped MSFS 2020: 2020 had dozens of volunteer beta testers for months supposedly giving feedback to the Asobo Team prior to the actual launch day. I'm sure many problems were apparent more than a year ago - so why are endless fixes still in play? Only Microsoft can answer that one..

FSX also had many volunteer beta testers, so that isn't a difference. And SP1 and SP2 weren't instantly available, either.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

and i don't think they ever will. another reason i am not buying it is because of the computer requirements for one the price for another and lack of aircraft.

giving up on flight simulation for good:D

At first glance this may seem off topic, but I believe it is relevant.

Taking note of Microsoft's revenue, and which of their products feed that revenue, and in what proportion,

where would you imagine a flight simulator game shows up in that graph ?

More simply, what percentage of Microsoft's revenue do you think their flight simulators represent?

Yet, games concerning travel and city planning, city building, etc. are strategically important enough to spin up a few game publishers but always keeping themselves in the loop.

What would motivate the strategic importance?

I don't believe the strategic opportunity they are chasing was a factor in 2004, or FSX.

Any synaptic lighting bolts going off yet ?

Taking note of Microsoft's revenue, and which of their products feed that revenue, and in what proportion,

where would you imagine a flight simulator game shows up in that graph?

More simply, what percentage of Microsoft's revenue do you think their flight simulators represent?

Near the bottom.

About 1%.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Near the bottom.

About 1%.

I think you are being generous. In fact, I think it costs them money. They have to prop up the publishers and associated development companies/contractors who could not make a profit on selling one shot licenses alone. But they are very happy to do it.

For anyone interested, I found some hints among the posts on this Forum. Here are the credited quotes:

I posed this whole question because after a few months trying to get some fun from MSFS 2020, I'm sometimes under the impression that it's just a flying version of Google Maps.

-danbiosca-

In fact I thought I'd reinstall FSX (and not FS9) because I think I might be already spoiled by the stunning MSFS visuals, and I'm afraid I could find FS9 graphics disappointing today.

-jorgen.s.anderson-

Stunning Visuals within a flying version of Google Maps, on airplanes that all act the same (anybody can do it ) has the potential to move a flight simulator out of niche level sales volume and into the realm of ubiquitous - such as Microsoft currently enjoys with all it's other Applications. (e.g. multiply MSFS license count by a million by tapping the general population versus pilots)

And that is all great for the Sim Publishers, but still not the essence of the strategy. That's just the fly paper.

MSFS is not a flight Simulator. It is expected to play it's role in a bigger picture business model.

Consider this - "Oh, did I tell you, you can also arrive by airplane, and you can be the pilot ! It's so cool!"

Corporations usually do not expend rather generous amounts of money to lose money - this also applies to Microsoft. If they only break even on FS2020, it allows them to advertise all the other XBox and PC games via this new flight sim. A lose-leader perhaps? Plus, there are still corp. tax write-offs.

I actually still fly FSX mostly: FS2020 heats up my current PC components to unacceptable levels - so I'm still waiting for higher-end gaming PC's prices to taper off a little (perhaps in vain) till I invest in one...

what repaints are you working on? i don't fly the default stuff much any more I'm all A2A my self. that's another reason i am avoiding MSFS 2020 no A2A

I'm currently working on creating repaints for Deutsche BA - both actual aircraft that served in the fleet, and fictitious aircraft. They're uploaded on Flightsim.com if you want to check them out. There's a thread from me where I post my releases.

• 6 months later...

I play a bunch of old abandoned games. The masses always will go to the latest. I only go to the latest if it’s also the greatest and MSFS is not.

For a flight game VidMate which MSFS is, X-Wing from 1993 leaves it for dead imo!

As for flight sims, heck, I will always happily use FS2004. Could not care less everyone is gone.

I got this,...

Great graphics are interesting; but, I see FSX as a flight simulator not a sight seeing simulator. Above a few thousand feet, there's not much to look at -- even in an actual aircraft.

I have always and continue to enjoy FSX for the technical side of air navigation and flying.

With the paucity of new FSX files I will not be renewing my subscription to either Flightsim.com nor Simviation when they fall due this year.

I do not like X-Plane either so this is the end of my flightsimming now. Thanks for everything in the past and good luck for the stayers!

I have noticed an uptake in files and interest for FS2004 lately. There is a vast resource of great free files for that sim. I still have it on my PC though I still mainly use FSXSE. Also have P3dv4.5 but cannot warm to its interface. Never got enthused about MSFS for various reasons.

I have noticed an uptake in files and interest for FS2004 lately. There is a vast resource of great free files for that sim. I still have it on my PC though I still mainly use FSXSE. Also have P3dv4.5 but cannot warm to its interface. Never got enthused about MSFS for various reasons.

There are other games that are effectively dead in the modern market. When this happens, people tend to gravitate to what was the best version of the game regardless if it was the last version of the game in the franchise or 2 or 3 versions before the last.

Flight Sims will be/already are on their way out. FS9 is the best sim. I think many others will come to the same realization and this will be the FS version many will gravitate too in the future. It has many advantages over the other sims and is the best all rounder.

People will come in and quote me and argue with me BUT my statements are the exact reason FS9 simply has not died off over the years like FS2002 and the other FS versions before FS2002. It has too much to offer. The masses will always race to what is new but when there is no new or new becomes no good, they then look back over all the previous versions and settle on what is the best version. For flight sims, it will be FS9.

Mark Daniels