Create approach flight for landing practice

Hi there

After starting with an early version of MS Flight Simulator I eventually migrated to x-plane up to the latest 11.53 version. I then decided to give FS2020 a try as I have only been an occasional simmer and never got as proficient as I would have like with x-plane which is good but in some ways over-demanding for the likes of me.

My first impressions of FS2020 are good but I hate the file structure, which a question for another date.

My question this time is that I would like to create an approach flight, similar to that in x-plane (and older versions of FS) which gives the option of either a 3 or 10 mile approach so as to be able to practice landings. I have looked at the training section but its not to my liking as I find the Cessna a bit too twitchy and which like the choice of a different aircraft and airport.

Hope someone can help with the easiest way to create my flight so I can save it and use it as needed.

Thanks

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Try these freeware ready-made landing challenges from flightsim.to: https://flightsim.to/c/user-content/landing-challenges/

There's an excellent flightsim.com tutorial on how to install add-ons in MSFS: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?21235-Finding-The-MSFS-2020-Community-Folder

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Or you can simply press Escape during a flight (while on final approach for example) then press the spacebar (or the option at the bottom of your screen) to save / load a flight.

It’s not brilliant, as you can’t change the time..weather etc when you load it... but it’ll probably do what you want.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Try these freeware ready-made landing challenges from flightsim.to: https://flightsim.to/c/user-content/landing-challenges/

Thanks for the message/suggestion.

Where do I install the challenges? I have been trying to setup MSFS Addons Linker but have only just started that so not sure if I have verything correct? I have setup sub folders for aircraft etc. and could create one for challenges but then what do I do?

Sorry to be dim but at 81 learning new things is a lot more difficult but also a good way of keeping the brain active (at least I hope so).

Steve

Thanks for the Escape tip, will give that a go, hadn't thought of that.

Edited by chris18p
change

Where do I install the challenges? I have been trying to setup MSFS Addons Linker but have only just started that so not sure if I have everything correct? I have setup sub folders for aircraft etc. and could create one for challenges but then what do I do?

I don't use MSFS Addons Linker, but as I understand it you would:

unzip the challenges from flightsim.to

move each unzipped challenge folder into your MSFS Addons Linker challenges folder

launch MSFS Addons Linker and click on each challenge to activate it in MSFS

find the challenges in game under Activities > Landing Challenges

Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks, just out of curiousity if I don't use Addon Linker do the challenges go in the Community folder?

Next item on agenda is to get the sensitivity of my Cessna Yoke & Thrustmaster pedals sorted.

i have now created acouple of approach/landings using the Escape key method mentioned by Steve.......simple when you know how!

Thanks, just out of curiousity if I don't use Addon Linker do the challenges go in the Community folder?

Yes, without MSFS Addon Linker all unzipped add-on/mod folders go in the Community folder.

Thanks for the reply.

Just for my own clarification, and apologies I have gone slightly off topic, do all mods get installed in the Community folder e.g aircraft, liveries, challenges etc. or are there some files that don't go into the Community folder.

Also, is there a specific method of install or just unzipping?

I am going to stick with manual installs for the moment and leave Addon Linker for a later date as from what I have read it works very much like x-plane xOrganiser in limiting what files get loaded at start up and I need to be more familiar with the Community folder before playing about with it.

Is there a tutorial/guide that would explain the use of the Community folder that I could read at leisure?

Hi, I think the easiest way to practice landings is this. In world menu choose arrival, leave departure blank. Set which aircraft, weather and time and you will see that departures says "near to ......". That's it! The plane will be about 2300 feet and about 10 miles from touchdown. It will be configured but if you pause it you can change things. Beware when you unpause it jumps a bit. When you finish and want to do it again just click esc and choose Reset, it will load faster than the first time as the scenery is already loaded.

This may help.

Just for my own clarification, and apologies I have gone slightly off topic, do all mods get installed in the Community folder e.g aircraft, liveries, challenges etc. or are there some files that don't go into the Community folder.

Also, is there a specific method of install or just unzipping?

Yes, all mods go in to the Community folder, just unzip them and move the unzipped folders into the Community folder.

There are no scenery layers to worry about in MSFS, just unzip and move to Community folder is literally all there is to it.

Hi, that's a great suggestion...so simple and the video is easy to follow too.

I am not a multi player and ATC is not of much use to me at the moment.

Am I correct in saying that if I key 1(one) this will acknowledge ATC messages? If that is the case i might chnage the key binding to one of my own choosing (if possible).

Hi, that's a great suggestion...so simple and the video is easy to follow too.

I am not a multi player and ATC is not of much use to me at the moment.

Am I correct in saying that if I key 1(one) this will acknowledge ATC messages? If that is the case i might chnage the key binding to one of my own choosing (if possible).

Glad to have been of assistance. Regarding ATC I never use it so I don't know.