Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Update V has arrived

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Just curious -- can anyone cite one single verified case in which failure to empty the Community folder prior to an update caused a problem? The operative word here is "verified".
    See the BIIS Isafjordur thread in this forum: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...IIS-Isafjordur
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Just curious -- can anyone cite one single verified case in which failure to empty the Community folder prior to an update caused a problem? The operative word here is "verified".
    I think you're forgetting about the other side of upgrades where add-ons themselves break or do conflict with updated scenery, and from there some users have blamed the base sim itself. There have been cases where people had a third party scenery add-on installed for something that was subsequently included in one of the world updates, but couldn't tell the difference because they forgot the add-on was still overriding the now included version. I don't think anyone claimed the add-ons were somehow corrupting or breaking the sim's own files directly.

Thanks, but this is speculative and I don't think it answers my question. I am looking for a specific verified example in which an update problem was traced to a non-empty Community folder. Are there any?

Have you read posts #5 and #6 in that thread?
    And here's another example of the same issue: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...pdate-5/410405
    Last edited by tiger1962; 06-21-2021 at 03:57 PM.
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Well, there have been a few issues with MSFS updates and the FBW A32NX mod. Including the example below where having the mod installed also affected the default A320.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...after-update-3

Perhaps you remember this one? Seems like a pretty good reason for Asobo to recommend clearing out your community folder before updating.

A good point. In fact most of FBW's and Working Title's updates have been fixes for compatibility with each successive sim update.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Thanks. I am well aware that some add-ons require fixing (or removing) after MSFS updates, but in my experience this is easily done. My question is whether the presence of files in Community interferes with the update process itself, which seems unlikely. It was prompted by the fact that I have never had a problem with updates despite never emptying my Community folder, and I've read a number of posts from others saying the same thing.
    Last edited by cobalt; 06-21-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks. I am well aware that some add-ons require fixing (or removing) after MSFS updates, but in my experience this is easily done. My question is whether the presence of files in Community interferes with the update process itself, which seems unlikely. It was prompted by the fact that I have never had a problem with updates despite never emptying my Community folder, and I've read a number of posts from others saying the same thing.
    Completely agree.

If some are willing to empty the Community folder before every update and, later on, check the add-ons one by one and move them back, it's up to them. For sure I won't, and I firmly stick to what I said in post #7 in this very thread, with the only exception of the last paragraph, where admittedly I was perhaps a little too naive and well-meaning.

To each one their own.

If you have only added all the free stuff and one small ultralight from the MARKETPLACE
    can you NOT worry about the Community folder?

Quote Originally Posted by VFRguy View Post
    If you have only added all the free stuff and one small ultralight from the MARKETPLACE
    can you NOT worry about the Community folder?
    Every author does things their own way, so you can never be absolutely sure, but most probably you shouldn't worry.

Anyhow, don't get obsessed with the Community folder. Just take it easy and enjoy your add-ons. If you ever run into problems after a MS update, you'll have all the time in the world to investigate.

BTW I love your enthusiastic reportings. They're a breath of fresh air in our little world

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast