World Update V has arrived

MSFS has just prompted me to open the MS Store for a mandatory update.

The sim itself has downloaded a 5.25GB update.. and now the 3.53gb world update (via the Marketplace)

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Update worked to me like a charm.

First part downloaded in 5 min (and virtually didn't take any HD room because most of it must be replacing files), and the world update another 5 min.

Once again, I didn't move anything from the Community folder and there wasn't any problem.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Can’t say I had any problems either. When I saw the “empty your community folder” recommendation I thought I might as well. I simply renamed the folder & created a new one., just in case.

Is it me.. or has the performance improved a little? Flying with the Reverb G2 seems to be a bit smoother, not that I had any issues previously.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

smooth as silk here and NO after effects... I'd bought a 2tb SSD C: drive so did a full reinstall and all working as should... I love the sim now it seems to be very stable this end.... and VR has improved!!!! One very happy customer at long last....... Over the last 5 weeks I've goten to know the sim rather than chasing bugs and not always MSFS but my rig, overclocking the card was the crowning moment, it will now run MSFS in full ultra with no stuttering so no need to upgrade the card at all at this point which is fantastic news!!!!! Happy Landings peeps......

Yes Steve, they tweaked OpenXR and ho what a difference!!!!!

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Update worked to me like a charm.

First part downloaded in 5 min (and virtually didn't take any HD room because most of it must be replacing files), and the world update another 5 min.

Once again, I didn't move anything from the Community folder and there wasn't any problem.

Quite a few people on the official forums reported CTD's at or approaching BIIS Ísafjörður airport in Iceland, which is one of the new Landing Challenges - a few couldn't even load the landing challenge without a CTD.

Turns out that the payware Zinertek and REX airport textures are the problem. Just sayin'.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Quite a few people on the official forums reported CTD's at or approaching BIIS Ísafjörður airport in Iceland, which is one of the new Landing Challenges - a few couldn't even load the landing challenge without a CTD.

Turns out that the payware Zinertek and REX airport textures are the problem. Just sayin'.

Not flown to Iceland recently will check it out...... had a great flight around Norway, no problems there....

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

No worries here since I don't have any of those, but anyhow I think this is a valuable info.

As I've been saying lately, I think it's a nonsense to empty the Community folder before every update, but that's not the same as denying that some of your add-ons may become obsolete after such an update. When there's evidence of one such obsolescence (and not before, obviously) you'll have to remove the involved files until updated versions are available.

In that sense, I think it would be extremely useful to open a thread named "Add-ons known obsolete after update ##" or something of the like, where all that info could be collected. Just an idea.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

I think it would be extremely useful to open a thread named "Add-ons known obsolete after update ##" or something of the like, where all that info could be collected. Just an idea.

The thread itself would become obsolete because most affected add-ons are usually updated within days, and some within hours.

The best practice is to remove them all before an update, and afterward check each add-on developer's website/discord/fb/twitter for news of any patch or update release due.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

…"…The best practice is to remove them all before an update, and afterward check each add-on developer's website/discord/fb/twitter for news of any patch or update release due…….

————————————————————————————

For an automatic dev updates I use

https://flightsim.to/file/15569/msfs-community-downloader

Not flown to Iceland recently will check it out...... had a great flight around Norway, no problems there....

I don’t usually bother with the challenges but thought I’d take a look. No problems here, expect that the area is a bit crowded (as you’d expect)

I managed a ranking of 996.. eventually LOL

Regards

Steve

I don’t usually bother with the challenges but thought I’d take a look. No problems here, expect that the area is a bit crowded (as you’d expect)

I managed a ranking of 996.. eventually LOL

Regards

Steve

I did it in vr 4 or 5 times no problem sim wise rock solid , a slight problem with the score being in millions!...

Lol. My best score was extremely high as well (1369026) but my ranking on the leader board was 996! I thought I could improve even further but..no. It started to climb. I quit while I was (almost) ahead LOL

I was using the G2 of course. Landing is so much easier in VR isn’t it?

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Not necessarily.. well they probably haven’t fixed it but they have / will be improving it.

It’s mentioned in this interview

Regards

Steve

Can’t say I had any problems either. When I saw the “empty your community folder” recommendation I thought I might as well. I simply renamed the folder & created a new one., just in case.

Is it me.. or has the performance improved a little? Flying with the Reverb G2 seems to be a bit smoother, not that I had any issues previously.

Regards

Steve

I wish I could check it out in VR but unfortunately my Reverb G2 quit working yesterday. Called technical support today (try finding the phone number to call a real live person as they seem to only want to diagnose via online with a virtual assistant) and talked to a very nice and enthusiastic lady (Rosa). After explaining my problem and describing in great detail what was happening or not happening, she determined I had a faulty cable. She is sending me a new cable under warranty, but unfortunately, they are on backorder. My 2 daughters who live in Portland Oregon (I know) came up to Nine Mile Falls Washington to celebrate Fathers Day with me and my wife. I have bragged about using VR in this flight sim and how fantastic it is. They wanted to try it but unfortunately it wasn't working, so they couldn't. Very big disappointment. But I am thrilled Rosa has taken care of my situation. Kudos to Rosa, where ever you are.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I wish I could check it out in VR but unfortunately my Reverb G2 quit working yesterday. Called technical support today (try finding the phone number to call a real live person as they seem to only want to diagnose via online with a virtual assistant) and talked to a very nice and enthusiastic lady (Rosa). After explaining my problem and describing in great detail what was happening or not happening, she determined I had a faulty cable. She is sending me a new cable under warranty, but unfortunately, they are on backorder. My 2 daughters who live in Portland Oregon (I know) came up to Nine Mile Falls Washington to celebrate Fathers Day with me and my wife. I have bragged about using VR in this flight sim and how fantastic it is. They wanted to try it but unfortunately it wasn't working, so they couldn't. Very big disappointment. But I am thrilled Rosa has taken care of my situation. Kudos to Rosa, where ever you are.

Oh Kevin, I am so sorry this has happened. I’ve read reports that the cable is often the first thing to go. Mine often gets twisted and I suppose it’s only a matter of time. I have a Quest 2 Asa a backup but I still haven’t really set it up for use with MSFS. Maybe I should.

Glad you spoke to “Rosa” and that the issue will be sorted under warranty. Hope you don’t have to wait too long.

Regards

Steve

Oh Kevin, I am so sorry this has happened. I’ve read reports that the cable is often the first thing to go. Mine often gets twisted and I suppose it’s only a matter of time. I have a Quest 2 Asa a backup but I still haven’t really set it up for use with MSFS. Maybe I should.

Glad you spoke to “Rosa” and that the issue will be sorted under warranty. Hope you don’t have to wait too long.

Regards

Steve

Thank you Steve, I appreciate your reply. You have been a fantastic source of VR stuff I needed to know. I will let you know when things are fixed.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Unfortunately, I gave my backup Occulus Rift S to one of my son-in-laws after I got my HP Reverb G2. He won't return it. Told me nicely what to do with myself. I can respect that.

Unfortunately, I gave my backup Occulus Rift S to one of my son-in-laws after I got my HP Reverb G2. He won't return it. Told me nicely what to do with myself. I can respect that.

I can imagine what he said LOL

Hope you’re not waiting too long for the replacement cable

Regards

Steve

As I've been saying lately, I think it's a nonsense to empty the Community folder before every update, but that's not the same as denying that some of your add-ons may become obsolete after such an update. When there's evidence of one such obsolescence (and not before, obviously) you'll have to remove the involved files until updated versions are available.

In that sense, I think it would be extremely useful to open a thread named "Add-ons known obsolete after update ##" or something of the like, where all that info could be collected. Just an idea.

Just curious -- can anyone cite one single verified case in which failure to empty the Community folder prior to an update caused a problem? The operative word here is "verified".

Just curious -- can anyone cite one single verified case in which failure to empty the Community folder prior to an update caused a problem? The operative word here is "verified".

See the BIIS Isafjordur thread in this forum: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?332172-BIIS-Isafjordur

I think you're forgetting about the other side of upgrades where add-ons themselves break or do conflict with updated scenery, and from there some users have blamed the base sim itself. There have been cases where people had a third party scenery add-on installed for something that was subsequently included in one of the world updates, but couldn't tell the difference because they forgot the add-on was still overriding the now included version. I don't think anyone claimed the add-ons were somehow corrupting or breaking the sim's own files directly.

Thanks, but this is speculative and I don't think it answers my question. I am looking for a specific verified example in which an update problem was traced to a non-empty Community folder. Are there any?

Have you read posts #5 and #6 in that thread?

And here's another example of the same issue: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/multiple-ctd-since-world-update-5/410405

Edited by tiger1962

Well, there have been a few issues with MSFS updates and the FBW A32NX mod. Including the example below where having the mod installed also affected the default A320.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?330203-Fly-By-Wire-A320NX-instrument-panel-not-working-after-update-3

Perhaps you remember this one? Seems like a pretty good reason for Asobo to recommend clearing out your community folder before updating.