World Update V has arrived

A good point. In fact most of FBW's and Working Title's updates have been fixes for compatibility with each successive sim update.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks. I am well aware that some add-ons require fixing (or removing) after MSFS updates, but in my experience this is easily done. My question is whether the presence of files in Community interferes with the update process itself, which seems unlikely. It was prompted by the fact that I have never had a problem with updates despite never emptying my Community folder, and I've read a number of posts from others saying the same thing. Edited by cobalt

Thanks. I am well aware that some add-ons require fixing (or removing) after MSFS updates, but in my experience this is easily done. My question is whether the presence of files in Community interferes with the update process itself, which seems unlikely. It was prompted by the fact that I have never had a problem with updates despite never emptying my Community folder, and I've read a number of posts from others saying the same thing.

Completely agree.

If some are willing to empty the Community folder before every update and, later on, check the add-ons one by one and move them back, it's up to them. For sure I won't, and I firmly stick to what I said in post #7 in this very thread, with the only exception of the last paragraph, where admittedly I was perhaps a little too naive and well-meaning.

To each one their own.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

If you have only added all the free stuff and one small ultralight from the MARKETPLACE

can you NOT worry about the Community folder?

Every author does things their own way, so you can never be absolutely sure, but most probably you shouldn't worry.

Anyhow, don't get obsessed with the Community folder. Just take it easy and enjoy your add-ons. If you ever run into problems after a MS update, you'll have all the time in the world to investigate.

BTW I love your enthusiastic reportings. They're a breath of fresh air in our little world :pilot:

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

THANKS

Just trying to stay out of TROUBLE.

A few weeks ago a Microsoft TEC moved my Community folder closer to the top of “C:\”.

I have since wiped out my hard drive and reinstalled WINDOWS and then reinstalled FS20 (which is the only thing in my computer now).

Now my Community folder is back at the original place and I have no idea where that is.

It pains me to look at that big long path to it's location.

I can’t worry about it now any way.

VFRguy

Edited by VFRguy

THANKS

Just trying to stay out of TROUBLE.

A few weeks ago a Microsoft TEC moved my Community folder closer to the top of “C:\”.

I have since wiped out my hard drive and reinstalled WINDOWS and then reinstalled FS20 (which is the only thing in my computer now).

Now my Community folder is back at the original place and I have no idea where that is.

It pains me to look at that big long path to it's location.

I can’t worry about it now any way.

VFRguy

it may be worth learning about file structures... it really doesn't matter at all where your community folder is as long as MSFS has a link/shortcut to it.... that's one of the things I like with MS flight sims, they force you to look under the bonnet of your computer and learn/increase your knowledge... not to mention dragging us into the future screaming and kicking for most part... ha

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

As i've been saying lately, i think it's a nonsense to empty the community folder before every update, but that's not the same as denying that some of your add-ons may become obsolete after such an update. When there's evidence of one such obsolescence (and not before, obviously) you'll have to remove the involved files until updated versions are available.

In that sense, i think it would be extremely useful to open a thread named "add-ons known obsolete after update ##" or something of the like, where all that info could be collected. Just an idea.

Amen!