My flights regularly freeze for 2-3 seconds at a time every minute or so

My computer is relatively new (6 mo old, i7-10700K 3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super, System and games on separate SSDs) and should be able to easily handle anything FS2020 could logically throw at it... My internet connection, on the other hand, is the same-old same-old.

So how can I cut the cord? I suspect it's updating Paris and Brussels weather as I depart KBNA on a VFR-local flight or whatever. I neither want nor need updated European airport data, weather and city photogrammetry as I tool around the hills of Tennessee here in the colonies.

How can I turn all of that sort of online stuff off to help me zero in on the cause of the regular inflight freezes? I tried taking Steam offline but that didn't help- I suspect Steam's offline status doesn't mean anything at all to MSFS2020. I tried searching for similar posts but didn't find any regular, recurring freezes like I'm getting, and most of the hits were about FSX. Thanks.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Hi, the first question is.. how what is your actual internet speed? If you think the pauses are down to the weather updating, then simply try one of the preset weathers rather than live weather.

You can do this before you start your flight (flight conditions, top right of the world map) or during a flight. click on the white bar/triangle near the top of the screen (which appears when you move the mouse) and click the weather option..then change it from live weather to..clear skies...few clouds...rainy....whatever.

If you want to stop all internet activity... press escape during a flight & select the general options page..then click the Data tab (left of screen) you can turn off all online functionality.. or choose which ones to disable (including live weather)

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Hi, the first question is.. how what is your actual internet speed?

speedtest20210619-1856.png

If you think the pauses are down to the weather updating

Well, as you may have surmised, I just this month installed FS20 and only have about 3 hours of actual use, including only 15-20 minutes of C152 and TBM930 training flight, fighting grossly oversensitive controls - I dumbed down my joystick to 30% and it's still twitchy- the rest of the 3 hours being spent struggling to force the sim to even recognize my throttle+joystick and get a few basic flight controls configured. So it's not so much that I believe internet hiccups are the problem, I just can't think of any other reason a flight sim would rhythmically freeze up in mid-approach on a fully capable machine for no apparent reason.

Just as a matter of principle, I do not want the complication (and privacy implications) of all the whiz-bang completely irrelevant doo-dads like up-to-the-minute real world wx and updating European city rush-hour ground traffic in real time while I'm trying to nail a visual approach into Toronto in an uber-sensitive almost unflyable TBM930. So being able to turn off ALL internet connection attempts by FS20 would be a major plus for me, whether or not it stops the freezups.

simply try one of the preset weathers rather than live weather. You can do this before you start your flight (flight conditions, top right of the world map) or during a flight. click on the white bar/triangle near the top of the screen (which appears when you move the mouse) and click the weather option..then change it from live weather to..clear skies...few clouds...rainy....whatever.

If you want to stop all internet activity... press escape during a flight & select the general options page..then click the Data tab (left of screen) you can turn off all online functionality.. or choose which ones to disable (including live weather)

Wow, Steve, valuable info, I had no idea how to do that- FS20 is very different than FSX! Thank you for your help, which I will try to implement as soon as I get back into the sim. I'll post back here whether or not cutting the cord stops the freezups. :D

~Doug

You have 19.12mb/s and you really need over 30mb/s for smooth operation. You can still fly, but the stutters are from data loads from a slow internet.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

i have only 10mbs and very smooth flight, you need to shut down a few online things like photogrammetry, live trafic.

so its all about balancing your particular system. ppl who complain about stutters have not done so.

and yes sometimes you cannot have all, for me this sim runs way more smooth than an fsx wih all orbx stuff , active sky....

and i run on pretty low specs, amd 5 2600 with nvidia 1050ti !!!

Also ensure that you have excluded the MSFS folder from your anti-virus and malware software.

I had an identical problem to you (frequent and regular short pauses) with FSX and DCS World and put exclusions in the Windows Security app (used to be called Windows Defender) as well as Malwarebytes and the problem disappeared. So I nowadays exclude everything that needs to runs fast and unfettered like flight sims.

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]226520[/ATTACH]

Well, as you may have surmised, I just this month installed FS20 and only have about 3 hours of actual use, including only 15-20 minutes of C152 and TBM930 training flight, fighting grossly oversensitive controls - I dumbed down my joystick to 30% and it's still twitchy- the rest of the 3 hours being spent struggling to force the sim to even recognize my throttle+joystick and get a few basic flight controls configured. So it's not so much that I believe internet hiccups are the problem, I just can't think of any other reason a flight sim would rhythmically freeze up in mid-approach on a fully capable machine for no apparent reason.

Just as a matter of principle, I do not want the complication (and privacy implications) of all the whiz-bang completely irrelevant doo-dads like up-to-the-minute real world wx and updating European city rush-hour ground traffic in real time while I'm trying to nail a visual approach into Toronto in an uber-sensitive almost unflyable TBM930. So being able to turn off ALL internet connection attempts by FS20 would be a major plus for me, whether or not it stops the freezups.

Wow, Steve, valuable info, I had no idea how to do that- FS20 is very different than FSX! Thank you for your help, which I will try to implement as soon as I get back into the sim. I'll post back here whether or not cutting the cord stops the freezups. :D

~Doug

No problem Doug. Hope you sort the freezes out. You don’t have the fastest internet available but hopefully changing some of the online functionality of the sim will help.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

You have 19.12mb/s and you really need over 30mb/s for smooth operation. You can still fly, but the stutters are from data loads from a slow internet.

i have only 10mbs and very smooth flight, you need to shut down a few online things like photogrammetry, live trafic.

Thank you for all the responses. I shut down all the internet stuff (turns out FS20 has a single "internet kill switch" control) and flew for a bit with no more freezes.

Also ensure that you have excluded the MSFS folder from your anti-virus and malware software.

Still trying to figure out how to tell my anti-malware suite to ignore the FS20 folder- it always tells me when it blocks anything and gives me 10 seconds or so to respond to the popup "Yes, block it" or "No, I trust that" and it has not raised any issues about FS20, so I don't think it's Emsisoft causing my freezes. Also, since I plan to install addon aircraft, scenery, instruments and sound effects similar to the glorious FSX installation I had *sobs softly* I don't want my AV to ignore the FS20 folder as it fills up with 3rd-party and sometimes possibly sketchy software. But thank you for the suggestion anyway- I may yet need it!

Thanks to all who replied, I'll mark it as "solved" for now.

EDIT to update: I can find no way to mark this solved. On similar fora (Seven and Ten, for example), I would edit the OP and insert "[sOLVED]" in front of the headline, but editing the OP is not available and there is no "Mark as Solved" button. So I guess I have to send all the admins an email? :(

Edited by HoggyDog

My computer is relatively new (6 mo old, i7-10700K 3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super, System and games on separate SSDs) and should be able to easily handle anything FS2020 could logically throw at it... My internet connection, on the other hand, is the same-old same-old.

So how can I cut the cord? I suspect it's updating Paris and Brussels weather as I depart KBNA on a VFR-local flight or whatever. I neither want nor need updated European airport data, weather and city photogrammetry as I tool around the hills of Tennessee here in the colonies.

How can I turn all of that sort of online stuff off to help me zero in on the cause of the regular inflight freezes? I tried taking Steam offline but that didn't help- I suspect Steam's offline status doesn't mean anything at all to MSFS2020. I tried searching for similar posts but didn't find any regular, recurring freezes like I'm getting, and most of the hits were about FSX. Thanks.

go here do the test and you will see the weakest points and hopefully you can turn a tugboat into an aircraft carrier

https://www.userbenchmark.com/page/guide#benchmark

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz