Here's wishing everybody a smooth World Update V: Nordics update

Knock on plastic.

Don't forget to empty out your Community folders before updating.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Don't forget to empty out your Community folders before updating.

Once again I must ask why.

I think this is a mantra we've got used to hear on occasion of every update, but it's quite clear that MS updates don't alter the Community folder at all.

I for one have never emptied my Community folder, and have never experienced a single problem.

Sure some of the add-ons in the folder may become obsolote after the update, and require ulterior updating in turn, but that will happen regardless of where they're stored.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Not necessary. Updates have no effect on the Community folder, and files placed in Community have no effect on the basic functioning of MSFS. Community is empty by default, and is used only for add-on files. If you have Add-on Linker, it places only links to files there, in which case there will be no files at all in Community. Either way, there is no need to empty Community before an update.

When does update 5 hit the servers? It's after midnight of 17 June, here in California, but I don't see it listed when I open the simulator.

https://fselite.net/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-nordic-world-update-releasing-next-week/

Should be released today, June 17

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Why is MSFS 2020 seemingly so Eurocentric? Specifically so Central and Northern European centered? What about the rest of us "S...hole" countries? USA, Africa, Middle East.......Canada? Mexico? Not all of us will be strolling around Luxembourg or Austria (do they let foreigners in there anymore? Who knows.) anytime soon. I did like seeing my hometown in Texas moldered well. :confused:
Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz, 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Windows 10

Why is MSFS 2020 seemingly so Eurocentric? Specifically so Central and Northern European centered? What about the rest of us "S...hole" countries? USA, Africa, Middle East.......Canada? Mexico? Not all of us will be strolling around Luxembourg or Austria (do they let foreigners in there anymore? Who knows.) anytime soon. I did like seeing my hometown in Texas moldered well. :confused:

Now that's interesting because a few years ago, following the release of "Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight", I posed this same question the other way round. It looked to me too "Americacentric".

Maybe something related to where the authors are from? I'd say so... :)

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

In fairness, the first two world updates were Japan and USA. I believe they're going to do various regions in the world as time goes on. Maybe they figured that they'll do Europe now and be done with it.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

The update froze about 187MB into downloading. I pressed PAUSED (still was working), and restarted the PC to begin again. This time I got the endless loop of checking for updates and would never go beyond.

The trick I learned... go into the main One Store folder and delete all the files that were dated for the day of my freeze up (the newly installed files). Restart PC, restart MSFS and sure enough the install started again without a hitch.

IT went smooth for me. I update from Steam. The first update was quick. When FS2020 was started, I went to the Content Manager and updated some but did not take all of the updates. Some of the airport updates were quite large and I did not want them that bad.

One this to note about the updates for FS2020. The World Updates seem to be mostly scenery and objects that get updated. But not much of the code. So it does not seem to break the add-ons. The Sim Updates are where coding gets changed, so those are where it might have an impact.

Keep flying and have fun!

Pat