Moving packages from C to E

Like many of us, my C drive where FS2020 is installed is getting fuller... I am considering moving the packages folder from my C; (SSD) to my E (non SSD) which has much more available space.

My question is: should I expect a loss in smoothness, frame rates moving the package folder out of an SSD drive to an old-fashioned HD?

Or do you think the drive where the packages folder is has no impact on the overall performance of the simulator, since FS2020 is still located on the C drive.

Thanks for your input

J-Louis

J-Louis Belard, 6 miles SW of KGAI

Dell XPS,8930, I-7 9700, 32GB DD4,

512 SSD, 2TB HD, 6GB GeForce GTX 1660

Like many of us, my C drive where FS2020 is installed is getting fuller... I am considering moving the packages folder from my C; (SSD) to my E (non SSD) which has much more available space.

My question is: should I expect a loss in smoothness, frame rates moving the package folder out of an SSD drive to an old-fashioned HD?

Or do you think the drive where the packages folder is has no impact on the overall performance of the simulator, since FS2020 is still located on the C drive.

Thanks for your input

J-Louis

I can't speak for MSFS, but I had 200Gb of addons in FSX on my F drive and it didn't have any unwelcome effects. I think you're right that the important thing is the location of the program. When FSX started up, it created a database of scenery in the scenery.cfg file, then loaded it when the plane was in that part of the world.

i run completely form hd , so its possible, but starting up the sim will take longer, especially if you have addons, in that case use the addon linker. i do plan to get a 1 tb ssd later in the year, it has too much

advantage obviously.