Working Title G1000 mod problems

I downloaded, installed it per the instructions, dragging the "workingtitle-g1000" file into my community folder (Steam Edition), and tried it out in the G36. I used the Garmin to set a course from Watsonville to Monterey, with an ILS approach to RWY 10R. When I engaged the autopilot after takeoff, the G36 immediately veered some 180 degrees away from the magenta line. In other words, the AP worked worse than before. I read the "readme" file before I installed the workingtitle-g1000 file. Per the readme instructions:

Due to changes in how planes load their configurations in WU4, we had to change the code that loads custom display gauges from WTEngineDisplay.xml, as is done with our sample for the G36. In order to get these to work now, aircraft creators or modders must put the contents of the `WTEngineDisplay` section directly into panel.xml, within the body of the main `PlaneHTMLConfig` section. This is unfortunate, but it was the only way we could preserve this functionality.

I literally could not follow this, in that I couldn't find the "WTEngineDisplay" section of the file, or the "panel.xml", or the "body of the main PlaneHTMLConfig section." Maybe this is why the mod didn't work as it's supposed to?

Or perhaps I should've exited out of MSFS and restarted it, they way you do after an OS update?

I have deleted the Working Title G1000 file from my community folder for now. I would like to hear from anyone who's successfully installed this mod and can tell me how I screwed up.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

2 thoughts on this. First, doing a restart of MSFS is a good idea, to make sure it picks up any changes.

Second, somewhere along the line, I read instructions to be sure in the Community folder that the folders for tools were loaded before the planes. And it cares about alphabetical order. So I have renamed the working title to a-workingtitle-g1000 (and a-workingtitle-g3000 for the other Garmin). Also renamed the plane folders to prefix z- on the name. It seems to work for me.

Not sure about using the ILS as I have only tried that once or twice. You engaged the AP and then went to NAV? And had the CDI set to GPS?

Pat

2 thoughts on this. First, doing a restart of MSFS is a good idea, to make sure it picks up any changes.

Second, somewhere along the line, I read instructions to be sure in the Community folder that the folders for tools were loaded before the planes. And it cares about alphabetical order. So I have renamed the working title to a-workingtitle-g1000 (and a-workingtitle-g3000 for the other Garmin). Also renamed the plane folders to prefix z- on the name. It seems to work for me.

Not sure about using the ILS as I have only tried that once or twice. You engaged the AP and then went to NAV? And had the CDI set to GPS?

Pat

Thanks, Pat. Yes, I engaged AP and went to NAV, with the CDI set to GPS. I'd loaded the approach, but had not activated it. I had nothing else in my Community folder, by the way. As for a restart of MSFS, as I'd installed the Working Title mod in my community folder before I launched the sim, I don't know that a restart would've helped much. Perhaps my mistake was trying to set up a flight plan in the modified G1000 instead of going to the World Map screen to do it?

As far as the aircraft, I found them in the "Steam" folder. Here's one file's name: "asobo-baron-g-58". The aircraft file is then followed by a bunch of livery files. (I wonder where I would find those while in the program.) Anyway, the aircraft files all start with "asobo," so maybe giving the Working Title file an "a" prefix is not the best? As for renaming the aircraft files, I'm really, really, wary of tinkering around with the innards of MSFS's software.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I was talking about only the Community folder. Don't change or rename anything anywhere else. And the idea was to rename the folders there based on advice about how these add-ons loaded.

If you are not comfortable about this, don't change anything. I was comfortable that I could copy them back in if something went wrong. But I'm an old coder who has a bit of knowledge.

Pat

Thanks, Pat. Yes, I engaged AP and went to NAV, with the CDI set to GPS.

While I've never tried to do what you described, I have had much better luck with the autopilot if I completely program the required settings and activated the required functions, before actualling turning it on.

For example, last night before departing an airport, I pre-programmed the autopilot for a specific altitude, vertical speed and VOR radial before I even started to taxi to the runway. I also pressed the ALT, VS, and NAV buttons (bot not the AP button). Then, at about 1000ft AGL, I just flipped the AP switch and it flew perfectly.

Now sure, that was on the ground. But previously, if I had switched on the autopilot and then pressed the ALT, VS and NAV buttons, it would have tried to murder me; even when already in the air.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

While I've never tried to do what you described, I have had much better luck with the autopilot if I completely program the required settings and activated the required functions, before actualling turning it on.

For example, last night before departing an airport, I pre-programmed the autopilot for a specific altitude, vertical speed and VOR radial before I even started to taxi to the runway. I also pressed the ALT, VS, and NAV buttons (bot not the AP button). Then, at about 1000ft AGL, I just flipped the AP switch and it flew perfectly.

Now sure, that was on the ground. But previously, if I had switched on the autopilot and then pressed the ALT, VS and NAV buttons, it would have tried to murder me; even when already in the air.

I have Logitech Multi and radio panels, and I use them instead of mousing over sim panels for settings. In most instances, this has worked well. If I’ve already set up a flight plan in the World Map, for example, when I press the NAV button on the Multipanel, the AP in the sim will adhere to the flight plan. But sometimes, it won’t. This is an issue the mod is supposed to address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realized I had copied the Working Title G1000 mod over to my community folder unzipped. No wonder the AP went nuts. Today I followed the proper procedures, downloading the online file, right-clicking on it (per instructions from the Google) to unzip and extract the contents or whatever, and then copied the unzipped file to the community folder.

Then, to test it out, I launched MSFS and went to the World Map to set up a flight plan from Watsonville to Monterey with an ILS approach to RWY 10R at KMRY. I took off, engaged the AP, and it worked as it should. At Monterey, I went to the Garmin, selected Salinas from among the nearest airports, and set up a flight plan with an ILS approach to RWY 31L there. Again, the AP worked fine all the way down to about 300 ft AGL, when I disengaged the AP to land.

I have now also downloaded and installed the Working Title mod for the G3000, and I'm itching to see what difference that makes in the Daher TBM.

I have now also downloaded and installed the Working Title mod for the G3000, and I'm itching to see what difference that makes in the Daher TBM.

You'll be absolutely stunned by what shows up on the map screen, I know I was when I first saw it!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

You'll be absolutely stunned by what shows up on the map screen, I know I was when I first saw it!

Yes, the map screen in the Daher is pretty cool. But how useful is it? I tried to set up a flight plan from Watsonville to San Jose with an instrument landing on RWY 31L at KSJC using the modded Garmin. I wanted a course that would take me to the first final intersection at "KLIDE," in south Santa Clara County. But the plan that came up would have taken me to "BORED," which is way out of the way over the mountains to the east of the valley. This is the intersection or waypoint for aircraft coming from the east, as opposed to coming from KWVI on the coast. "KLIDE" is on the list. I wanted to delete all the intervening waypoints, but couldn't find a way to do that. Is there one?

I saw an option in the mod Garmin to set up a VNAV approach to a small public airport near KSJC and tried it. It previewed a roundabout course to this field, with a list of waypoints/intersections. Have you tried to use the VNAV feature yet, and does it work like an ILS approach? I will try it tomorrow to see what happens. I didn't have time today.

Edited by Aptosflier

FWIW, this describes my experience exactly. So I don't activate the AP until I've loaded any parameters I want, like ALT and NAV.