Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jim Vile's approaches for AIs

Hans-Gunther,

I substituted my original AI LET-410 AIR file with one included in an AI LET-410 base files download and saw that it was basically a DH-6 Twin Otter AIR file. Did not notice much difference in the flight characteristics though but this (AI) Twin Otter at least externally looked a little more like an (AI) LET-410 than my originally used Beechcraft King Air's AIR file. However, I have the feeling that this in itself was not the definite "cure-all" for my original problems/questions.

I also increased the pattern altitude at UGAM to 2760 feet (ASL) because the original was even (far) below the actual airfield altitude of 1760 feet (ASL). However, I have not tested the effect this could have had any further.

I took off in one of my flyable LET-410s behind an AI LET-410 from Tblisi airport (UGGG) and followed it to UGAM while it was flying a VFR flight plan but it again disappeared into a mountain during the last stages of it's approach, seemingly to RWY 11. I then changed it's flight plan into IFR and again followed it.

Low and behold ....... this time I was able to follow the AI LET all the way through the valleys to a final touch down on UGAM's RWY 29 and to me this confirms that any AI flight plan involving UGAM as it's destination, MUST be IFR and not VFR, especially when a custom Jim Vile type AI approach is active. This then automatically also holds true for any other airports/airfields where Jim Vile type approaches are active. The only problem now left over is that AI take offs, cannot follow the same mountain dodging routes ...... yet.

My only criticism on this UGAM airport is that the README file is not very clear on this whole subject.

Anyway Hans-Gunther, thanks for the lesson and your part in the UGAM approach project, I have learnt a lot from it.

I also thank all you other guys for your reactions.

Regards

Hans.

This sounds like what I said earlier, VFR fly through mountains IFR get guidance from ATC and avoid obstacles most of the time.
    I always set my AI to IFR, I got fed up with VFR going haywire.

Col.

Yes Collin, you are right but without any mountains or other high ground in the direct vicinity of the destination fields, it doesn't make much difference, other than that approaching VFR AIs make quite some turns and twists before entering final, while IFR AIs make more straight in and ILS-like approaches.

For testing/checking purposes I quite often position my Grumman Tomcat somewhere on my airports/airfields and therefore also on UGAM, predominantly to check approaching and departing AIs.
    Why a Grumman Tomcat ? Because it has a radar gauge in it's panel and on which I can follow airborne IFR and VFR AIs to/from maximum 40 Nms away. Not only that but I can also check their flight dynamics at different speeds.

As the result of your earlier IFR remark I checked all my AI flight plans involving the six airports/airfields in my list and changed all VFRs to IFRs. So, it's a big thanks to you as well.

Regards and happy landings.

Hans

Hi Hans, I tried to sent you a PN, but I anm not sure it worked.

@Hans

Why not get Traffic View Board, you can follow the ai from takeoff to landing and listen to ATC as well.

Col.

I use MS Traffic Tool Box to watch my AI aircrafts, and see all the FDE behaviour by "Map"

Traffic Tool box is OK for a short follow but then it boots you back, where as Traffic View Board lets you follow the whole journey.

Col.

AIROUND also

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    happy landings! Christian
    Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB
    MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;
    WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

Quote Originally Posted by ColR1948 View Post
    Traffic Tool box is OK for a short follow but then it boots you back, where as Traffic View Board lets you follow the whole journey.

Col.
    thanks for the information, I will give it a try.

Guenther,

I have reacted to your private message but also have some initial technical questions for you, which I hope you can answer.

What are the basics for creating such a (mesh-)mountain dodging AI approach path all the way down a winding valley to a final landing at the valley's bottom ? E.g. What is the first point to which the AI plane is steered and what path(s) does it then follow to the airfield ? Is XML the only way of programming this ?

Do you know of any tutorial I can make use of ?

Fond regards

Hans

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast