Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question

No worries Glen. I too have a lot of respect for Plainsman and he too will probably have the world updates installed as they are by Asobo and are part of the sim. They’re not addons as such.

I personally have many addons myself and can’t say I have any problems. Most of mine are aircraft though as I seem to be a sucker for buying new planes

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs. - Reverb G2 VR Headset

The reason the Washington Monument appeared as a stick building originally, is that the DC scenery at first WAS based on photogrammetry, which cannot properly handle structures of irregular shape such as obelisks. Subsequently this was fixed in the USA World update, which is free, but must be downloaded from the marketplace as Steve suggested.

I am sure Plainsman is a fine man, but in a separate thread he admits that he has never used MSFS add-ons! Something perhaps to take into account in deciding where to get advice.

Hey, I don't appreciate the derogatory inference. I choose not to use addons. Why I do so is none of your business, and it certainly does not reflect on my knowledge in forum participation.
    Steve is correct, I don't consider the update an addon. As others have noted repeatedly, addons can be used without problems if you use them carefully and correctly. If you only install reliable addons to the community folder only, you are ok, BUT don't trust some installer from a forum in Belarus to put everything in the correct folder.
    Last edited by plainsman; 06-10-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Well once again I showed my intelligence or lack of.
    I was looking for that World update and that MSFS menu thing and I found nothing. I assumed it
    was in the Microsoft Store and MSFS was some where inside there.
    If it was there it was playing hide and go seek with me.
    I will be a good boy and try to stay out of trouble if someone would take pity on me.
    VFRguy

Well once again I showed my intelligence or lack of.
    I was looking for that World update and that MSFS menu thing and I found nothing. I assumed it was in the Microsoft Store and MSFS was some where inside there.
    If it was there it was playing hide and go seek with me.
    I will be a good boy and try to stay out of trouble if someone would take pity on me.
    VFRguy

I'm with you stickman.
    So are a lot of other people, I suppose.
    Sorry about the double Post thing.
    I pushed the wrong button.
    Last edited by VFRguy; 06-10-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Hi Glen, to install the update...

launch MSFS and once you're at the main screen, press the marketplace tab at the top of the screen.
    then select full catalogue (bottom right) then you'll see a "free content" tab on the left. make sure YES is selected.
    You should now see the World Updates... clicking on them will say "Buy & download" (or something like that) However, Asobo have given us these, completely freely, so you wont be buying them as such. You will not be charged.

I have just made a little video, showing you how to do it too....

https://youtu.be/ySnldCzpNWs

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Steve
    Last edited by g7rta; 06-10-2021 at 06:33 PM.
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs. - Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    Hey, I don't appreciate the derogatory inference. I choose not to use addons. Why I do so is none of your business, and it certainly does not reflect on my knowledge in forum participation.
    Steve is correct, I don't consider the update an addon. As others have noted repeatedly, addons can be used without problems if you use them carefully and correctly. If you only install reliable addons to the community folder only, you are ok, BUT don't trust some installer from a forum in Belarus to put everything in the correct folder.
    The issue is not whether you choose to use addons; that's up to you. The issue is trying to advise others on whether to do it when you lack experience in this area.

Oh yeah
    I forgot all about that place. I recall browsing through it once
    and then I just forgot all about it.
    I thank you very much for putting me on the right track.
    I don't know why I was fixated on the Microsoft store.
    Thanks again

Holly Smokes
    I'm downloading World update II now
    Easy as pie (so far)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast