Hi Glen, I was thinking the answer was The Whitehouse, but maybe you mean the Washington Monument? Either way they both look ok to me, although The Whitehouse looks a little small to me, but being a Brit' I've only ever seen it on tv

This is how they look on my system... sorry there's no sound as the audio didn't record properly for some reason.

If you're seeing these differently on yours, maybe you need to download the USA world update? Just a thought. From the main MSFS menu, click on Marketplace & make sure you say yes to free content (see tab on left of screen) you should then see World Update II: USA

I can’t remember if you have to click “buy” or download. Either way you will not be charged anything

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

The White House IS small, in real life. It is correctly modeled in MSFS, as are the Washington Monument. Lincoln Memorial, Capitol Building, and many other DC buildings -- IF you have a properly updated MSFS (the earlier DC scenery was corrected in one of the updates). This issue has already been discussed in an earlier thread.

The White House IS small, in real life. It is correctly modeled in MSFS, as are the Washington Monument. Lincoln Memorial, Capitol Building, and many other DC buildings -- IF you have a properly updated MSFS (the earlier DC scenery was corrected in one of the updates). This issue has already been discussed in an earlier thread.

Ok on the Whitehouse. Everything looks fine to me then. VFR Guy may need to update his though if he’s seeing them as office blocks.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

He remarked in another post that he could not get photogrammetry to work. I think that may be his problem?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I think Glen simply needs to install the USA world update. There’s a pretty good chance he won’t have done that because having to go into the Marketplace & clicking”buy and download” isn’t all that obvious. Many people would easily think they were going to be charged for it.

Regards

Steve

I was just poking fun at the at the jerk that put a tall ugly apartment building where the the Washington monument should be.

It is hard for me to believe that the big wigs let him get away with that (I assume he was a him, a pretty girl would find something more pleasing for good old George).

I assume that you smart guys have found a work around visual and don't have to look at it. Us dorks have to look at things right out box.

No matter how much you tweak your fancy computers, the ugly building is still there, you just don't see it. It shows disrespect for George Washington and the big wigs let him get away with it. I would fire him.

How hard is it to build a monument? Look at all the pretty stuff that is already in your computer.

VFRguy

Edited by VFRguy

I was just poking fun at the at the jerk that put a tall ugly apartment building where the the Washington monument should be.

It is hard for me to believe that the big wigs let him get away with that (I assume he was a him, a pretty girl would find something more pleasing for good old George).

I assume that you smart guys have found a work around visual and don't have to look at it. Us dorks have to look at things right out box.

No matter how much you tweak your fancy computers, the ugly building is still there, you just don't see it. It shows disrespect for George Washington and the big wigs let him get away with it. I would fire him.

How hard is it to build a monument? Look at all the pretty stuff that is already in your computer.

VFR guy

Glen, I think you need to install the USA World Update (see above posts) and what you are seeing will be replaced with the monument (check out the YouTube link I posted

)

You will also find the other world updates too which you might want to to install. Don’t worry about it saying “buy and download” - its completely free

I guess your fun went over all our heads because we have all installed the update and we see the actual monument.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

OK OK

I take it all back.

I will look into that update stuff despite the dire warning that Plainsman gave me.

He is a nice man and very smart.

I respect him and his advice very much.

So much so, I am thinking about calling him Stickman.

No worries Glen. I too have a lot of respect for Plainsman and he too will probably have the world updates installed as they are by Asobo and are part of the sim. They’re not addons as such.

I personally have many addons myself and can’t say I have any problems. Most of mine are aircraft though as I seem to be a sucker for buying new planes :)

Regards

Steve

The reason the Washington Monument appeared as a stick building originally, is that the DC scenery at first WAS based on photogrammetry, which cannot properly handle structures of irregular shape such as obelisks. Subsequently this was fixed in the USA World update, which is free, but must be downloaded from the marketplace as Steve suggested.

I am sure Plainsman is a fine man, but in a separate thread he admits that he has never used MSFS add-ons! Something perhaps to take into account in deciding where to get advice.

Hey, I don't appreciate the derogatory inference. I choose not to use addons. Why I do so is none of your business, and it certainly does not reflect on my knowledge in forum participation.

Steve is correct, I don't consider the update an addon. As others have noted repeatedly, addons can be used without problems if you use them carefully and correctly. If you only install reliable addons to the community folder only, you are ok, BUT don't trust some installer from a forum in Belarus to put everything in the correct folder.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Well once again I showed my intelligence or lack of.

I was looking for that World update and that MSFS menu thing and I found nothing. I assumed it

was in the Microsoft Store and MSFS was some where inside there.

If it was there it was playing hide and go seek with me.

I will be a good boy and try to stay out of trouble if someone would take pity on me.

VFRguy

Well once again I showed my intelligence or lack of.

I was looking for that World update and that MSFS menu thing and I found nothing. I assumed it was in the Microsoft Store and MSFS was some where inside there.

If it was there it was playing hide and go seek with me.

I will be a good boy and try to stay out of trouble if someone would take pity on me.

VFRguy

Hi Glen, to install the update...

launch MSFS and once you're at the main screen, press the marketplace tab at the top of the screen.

then select full catalogue (bottom right) then you'll see a "free content" tab on the left. make sure YES is selected.

You should now see the World Updates... clicking on them will say "Buy & download" (or something like that) However, Asobo have given us these, completely freely, so you wont be buying them as such. You will not be charged.

I have just made a little video, showing you how to do it too....

Hope this helps.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Hey, I don't appreciate the derogatory inference. I choose not to use addons. Why I do so is none of your business, and it certainly does not reflect on my knowledge in forum participation.

Steve is correct, I don't consider the update an addon. As others have noted repeatedly, addons can be used without problems if you use them carefully and correctly. If you only install reliable addons to the community folder only, you are ok, BUT don't trust some installer from a forum in Belarus to put everything in the correct folder.

The issue is not whether you choose to use addons; that's up to you. The issue is trying to advise others on whether to do it when you lack experience in this area.

Oh yeah

I forgot all about that place. I recall browsing through it once

and then I just forgot all about it.

I thank you very much for putting me on the right track.

I don't know why I was fixated on the Microsoft store.

Thanks again

Great :) no problem Glen.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy see the sights even more now. So many buildings.. bridges....etc are included now.

One more thing.. I can’t remember if you have to reboot MSFS before you get to see the updated stuff. I think you probably have to.

Happy flying.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

This is going to be great.

I am going to have to take back so many things that I have said when I should have kept

my mouth shut until I have all the facts.

I have learned a good lesson today.

VFRguy

As others have noted repeatedly, addons can be used without problems if you use them carefully and correctly. If you only install reliable addons to the community folder only, you are ok, BUT don't trust some installer from a forum in Belarus to put everything in the correct folder.

Since almost all 3rd party addons are, in fact, made for placement in Community, I would say this argument is over. I will be sure to avoid installers from forums in Belarus (whatever that may mean).

That is an oblique reference to unreliable or untested websites which might have files with nefarious installers or addons by people that may not know enough to execute them properly. I never intended this as an argument about addons in general. I will PM you to explain further..

Your earlier posts seemed to convey a very different message, but I am glad we appear to be on the same page now -- at least I hope so. In regard to "nefarious installers", I have over 800 addons in MSFS, acquired over the last 8 months, and never once have encountered one. If they exist, they are insignificant in the overall picture. Since practically all addons are installed in Community, where they are harmless even if they are faulty (which is rare), there is just no problem here. Most 3rd party addons are excellent and are the result of hard work by the designers. I heartily recommend you check them out, as they add tremendously to the enjoyment of MSFS. For starters, check out the website flightsim.to, a fabulous resource.