Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The mystery of the community folder

point 2 works , because you only load the stuff you need for that particular flight, so thats certainly a lot
    quicker, if you have addons all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    ..... you are just asking for trouble to start putting addons into FS2020. The sim is still being substantially revised on a frequent basis, and many of the addons are using conjecture rather than documented knowledge to fabricate their addon. The SDK isn't even complete yet. Many of these addons will cause you immense grief if you don't know what you are doing, and clean your community folder before each update. I don't have any addons at this point. I am not saying they can't be deployed successfully, but I am warning you that you will become one of those chronic disgruntled if you don't know what you are doing.
    I think you would be far better served, to master and enjoy the stock aircraft and scenery, until a more final SDK is finished. At some point, it will become possible to add addons with little problem, but I don't think we are there yet for folks like yourself! You were warned!!

I have a long list of excellent addons with zero issues. The sim runs just fine.

As for updates - no problem because by using the excellent Addons Linker (which creates symbolic links) you can keep you addons *anywhere* without touching the Community folder.

There are some truly excellent modded planes on flightsim.to and also some great utilities (like SHIFT+Z mod!). Why miss out on all these things? I do agree the stock planes are good and so is the stock scenery but modding these games is where half the fun is
    i7 920 @ 3.00Ghz // GTX 1060 6GB // 12GB DDR3 // Win10 Pro

This thread is a good example of good intentions -- warning against add-ons -- that were based on inadequate knowledge of the subject. The evidence is overwhelming that add-ons are not a problem, and in fact greatly enhance MSFS, as the previous poster noted. I hope we can put this issue to rest.

Blog Entries

Default BS

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    Glen, I am going to try to say this in as inoffensive way possible.
    You don't strike me as the kind of guy who has mastered his computer. You also don't strike me as a person who takes direction very well.
    If my assessment is correct, you are just asking for trouble to start putting addons into FS2020. The sim is still being substantially revised on a frequent basis, and many of the addons are using conjecture rather than documented knowledge to fabricate their addon. The SDK isn't even complete yet. Many of these addons will cause you immense grief if you don't know what you are doing, and clean your community folder before each update. I don't have any addons at this point. I am not saying they can't be deployed successfully, but I am warning you that you will become one of those chronic disgruntled if you don't know what you are doing.
    I think you would be far better served, to master and enjoy the stock aircraft and scenery, until a more final SDK is finished. At some point, it will become possible to add addons with little problem, but I don't think we are there yet for folks like yourself! You were warned!!
    BS...

I had an issue before too with the community folder. Best solution: Right click the zip file, a box will pop up. Browse to the location of your community folder. Again, should be in app data/local/ packages /the long named Flight Simulator Folder/ then select Commubity and unzip directly to NJ it. Mine works unzipping directly. Not v dragging and dropping but the other way. Let me know how that works and if you have trouble I’ll try to work something out with screenshots, it bear in mind your folder structure may be different than mine. I have tons of airports now and aircraft so you CAN add to this sim even BBC with updates
    Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

How about guys like me?
    I know very little but I am learning something new quite often.
    I know that I have no business fiddling around with those files and folders.
    So for now, I think it would be best if I used the Marketplace for my shopping.
    And as far as making my computer run better and faster, well, someone else will have to worry about that.
    Lord knows I have many many many things better to do with MSFS than gimp around with files.
    It would nice to know how to do that stuff but for now, I'll just leave it all with you guys and watch from the background.
    And put in my 1.5 cents worth from time to time.
    VFRguy

PS You guys scare me.
    Thank you JohnJohn, I will file that away under things to do. I mean it.
    Last edited by VFRguy; 06-17-2021 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    This thread is a good example of good intentions -- warning against add-ons -- that were based on inadequate knowledge of the subject. The evidence is overwhelming that add-ons are not a problem, and in fact greatly enhance MSFS, as the previous poster noted. I hope we can put this issue to rest.
    Hadn't seen it under that point of view: a warning against add-ons!!
    Guess you're right.
    However nothing could be further from my case: I use almost exclusively 3rd party add-ons, both freeware and payware, and these are real fun.
    Happy flying!!

Default Conversation about community folder in MSFS2020

Interesting conversation on the operation of new simulator. I have watched a few videos lately on add on aircraft, cockpit looks great and detailed,787,777. It was mentioned that he does not use any default craft. I built my own computer recently just for MSFS2020 but after feedback by flight sim members and all the issues, crashes and so on I have yet to purchase the download. I use only one default craft Cirrus SF50 the other three are freeware in different simulator. This is my choice of planes to fly if possible, 787,777, F35, Cirrus SF50 or something similar, BD-5 or something similar. Can this be done now or sometime in future? My first impression from videos is they put a truck load of aircraft into system that may not be used at all or very little. If some people have little or no trouble and others have problems and I have been there it just could be there is something missing in the translation of procedure. If there was instructional video on procedure, you see it that is clear, if you read it then people form different meanings to what is said. Is MSFS2020 too complex, a go or a no go?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123