Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The mystery of the community folder

I said that many of the addons are based on conjectures for the fact that many of those folks have no idea how the Asobo software is really working. They may work fine in one iteration, but fail after the next update. The SDK isn't even final yet. That is fact based not baseless.
    We see posts everyday from largely the same people over and over, wherein an addon has caused "immense grief"! It may not always be the addon, rather how it is used, that is the problem. Sometimes addons have seemed to be the problem themselves, particularly some scenery files. I can't speak to experience, as I have not used them, but we see lots of posts about the problems they cause for some users.
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Most addon files are placed in Community, where they cannot affect Asobo software. If you don't believe me, read Tim Wright's post. Your statement that you cannot speak from experience because you haven't used them, about sums up the situation. I wish you had said this at the outset, it would have saved a lot of time.

When I first got MSFS. one of the first things I found was the community folder and created a shortcut to it. That shortcut goes into a folder where I store all my flightsim info, notes. little navmap, shortcuts to other msfs folders, cfg files. etc. That way, I never have ot go hunting for anything ever again. I also keep a folder on the same drive that msfs is installed to which contains all of the addon scenery I am not currently using in individual country folders. That way, If I want to fly in Austria, then I put all my UK addons into a dump folder and move the contents of my Austria folder into the community folder (some prefer to use an addons manager for this, but I like to maintain control of my own file structures).
    Ryzen 5600X, AM4, Zen+ 6 Core 12 thread
    Nvidia 3070 Founders edition 16 Gig RAM - Windows 10
    MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition
    Resolution 1920 x 1080

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    Avionics mods/add-ons such as the Working Title garmin screens and others which include avionics such as the FlyByWire A32NX, plus any 3rd party and default aircraft mods/add-ons will usually need to be updated themselves after every sim update.
    OK, but that becomes evident only after the update, so it's after the update when you typically can take any corrective action, such as removing those mods from the Community folder, while waiting for updated versions.

On that basis, and also given that...

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    The Community folder and it's contents have never been part of a hotfix patch or an update.
    The mods/add-ons within the Community folder are entirely self-contained and don't alter any of the base sim files.
    ...why is it said, and repeated ad nauseam, that you need to empty the Community folder before any update?
    Thanks in advance, best regards.

It's simply Asobo being ultra-cautious. Putting that advice in the release notes of each update prevents anyone claiming that an update broke their sim without warning.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.28GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

I don't understand your animosity? I didn't say you or any proficient user should not use addons. There are people that are bright people that just don't comfortably negotiate their computer. Not everyone shares your proficiency. I consider myself a pretty proficient user, but choose not to use addons. I do see a lot of posts from folks who have created problems for themselves by using addons either carelessly or inappropriately or due to some flaw likely from an addon from a questionable source. Once again, if you are you, addons are not a problem. I would not trust my wife to install an addon, and she is certainly brighter than average, but she isn't very computer proficient. If someone is in that discomfort category, I don't think addons are likely to add positively to their experience.
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Come off it, you've advised someone just today that add-ons aren't safe because the SDK isn't finished yet!
    The worst that can possibly happen with installing an add-on into MSFS is that someone moves the .zip or .rar file into the Community folder without unzipping it first.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.28GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    I don't understand your animosity? I didn't say you or any proficient user should not use addons. There are people that are bright people that just don't comfortably negotiate their computer. Not everyone shares your proficiency. I consider myself a pretty proficient user, but choose not to use addons. I do see a lot of posts from folks who have created problems for themselves by using addons either carelessly or inappropriately or due to some flaw likely from an addon from a questionable source. Once again, if you are you, addons are not a problem. I would not trust my wife to install an addon, and she is certainly brighter than average, but she isn't very computer proficient. If someone is in that discomfort category, I don't think addons are likely to add positively to their experience.
    I assume this is directed to me. No animosity here, but please recognize that you yourself used pretty strong language by saying that using an addon could cause someone "immense grief" (like a death in the family?)! My main point was, and is, that in responding to questions we should all stick to what we know, and stay within that boundary. Clearly someone who has never used an MSFS addon, by your own admission, is not in a position to give advice on addons. (Picking up on others' comments in the forums is no substitute for experience). For example, I am not qualified to discuss the intricacies of flight models or photogrammetry, even though I have read a lot about these topics. My admonition to you is the same: please dispense advice only based on what you know for a fact, not what you suspect might be true.

That said, I assure you (again) that you can safely use any addon that is placed in the Community folder. It cannot hurt your system or your MSFS setup, even if it's a poor job (in that case it might not work, but you can just remove it and no harm done).

Best wishes and happy flying!
    Last edited by cobalt; 06-10-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    You are correct that some add-ons may become obsolete and need to be removed -- indeed I have done this. But the OP was claiming that add-ons in general are bad news and should be avoided, which is ridiculous.
    Regarding the need to empty your Community folder before MSFS mandatory updates: IF you use an add-on linker that places only links to add-on files, and not the files per se, in Community, then you do NOT need to empty Community, because in that case it always contains only links; the actual files are stored in another folder and cannot be affected by an update.
    The fact that Addon Linker, at the community folder puts shortcuts to the mods, and not the mods themselves, only means that MSFS looks for the mods via the shortcuts, but it has access to them, and are indeed active that way. So IMHO, should the content of the community folder be some kind of menace for MSFS updates, there is no diference about using or not using the Addon Linker.-
    But the fact is that mods doesnt modify or overwrite any Asobo file, so in case of having problems, the fix is cleaning or moving away the mods from the Community folder. As far as I know, MSFS just allows mods to take precedence, if they improve or modify any Adobo file, without letting any modifications to the original one.

Quote Originally Posted by soldano View Post
    The fact that Addon Linker, at the community folder puts shortcuts to the mods, and not the mods themselves, only means that MSFS looks for the mods via the shortcuts, but it has access to them, and are indeed active that way. So IMHO, should the content of the community folder be some kind of menace for MSFS updates, there is no diference about using or not using the Addon Linker.-
    But the fact is that mods doesnt modify or overwrite any Asobo file, so in case of having problems, the fix is cleaning or moving away the mods from the Community folder. As far as I know, MSFS just allows mods to take precedence, if they improve or modify any Adobo file, without letting any modifications to the original one.
    As a conclussion (once and for all, I hope) I'd say there are 3 alleged reasons to move files out of the Community folder:

1) To prevent problems before a MS update: Since it's well established that the updates don't alter at all the contents of the Community folder, we can discard this reason.

2) To speed up loading times: Some say that replacing files by links in the Community folder (e.g. with MS Addon Linker) speeds up MSFS loading times. I think that add-ons are equally read by the program on loading, via links or files per se, so there should be no difference. I have not checked this out personally, though.

3) To use an alternate drive for the add-ons (either for room shortage or personal preference): to me this is the only case where moving add-ons to another drive and calling them using links is fully justified. Otherwise, using a linker is useless IMHO.

Hope that helps, best regards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast