Alternative Flight Sims

BJ054

Greetings,

I've used MSF for years and gradually drifted away from flying after using the Steam version since it's release. I was very excited about the prospect of MSFS and planned a new build for MSFS to get back into the hobby. Unfortunately I live in an area where internet speeds are no better than about 14-15 Mbps. Thus, as I understand I would require about 30 mbps or more to really enjoy or use MSFS.

I've never used anything other than MSF and was interested in anyone's thoughts about other flight sims out there that would be a noticeable upgrade (scenery, weather, and flight dynamics) compared to MSF that I could use as an alternative to MSFS. Preferably one that is well supported by 3rd parties with lots of add-on content. Example, I've used and enjoyed Air Hauler 2 in the past with MSF.

Thanks for any thoughts. BJ054

Greetings,

I've used MSF for years and gradually drifted away from flying after using the Steam version since it's release. I was very excited about the prospect of MSFS and planned a new build for MSFS to get back into the hobby. Unfortunately I live in an area where internet speeds are no better than about 14-15 Mbps. Thus, as I understand I would require about 30 mbps or more to really enjoy or use MSFS.

I've never used anything other than MSF and was interested in anyone's thoughts about other flight sims out there that would be a noticeable upgrade (scenery, weather, and flight dynamics) compared to MSF that I could use as an alternative to MSFS. Preferably one that is well supported by 3rd parties with lots of add-on content. Example, I've used and enjoyed Air Hauler 2 in the past with MSF.

Thanks for any thoughts. BJ054

i am not so sure, i have only 10Mbps and it works very fine, ofocurse on low/medium settings.

why not test it out via the gamepass, only 1 euro/dollar for 3 month., then you know if its possible.

i did that too and thats why i bought it.

haha oh lots, warning , you cant go back after you seen msfs, low settings are way better already.

try it out !!!

Until you try to fly like a pilot!

MSFS2020 might be many things, but its not a flight simulator... not even 10 months after release.

P3dv 5.2 is far superior as a flying representation.

maybe for some planes, certainly not for all, maybe you need to setup your peripherals better, the ga aircaft fly quite

realisitc in msfs, if you have set it up well.

i say p3d is dead, only a handfull with keep playing there, especially now with the dc6 out on friday.

it always amases me how people cling to their old stuff, yeah probably invested lotsa money there, well its old tech now.

i say p3d is dead, only a handfull with keep playing there, especially now with the dc6 out on friday.

it always amases me how people cling to their old stuff, yeah probably invested lotsa money there, well its old tech now.

Wow! It amazes me how some youngsters think that new is ALWAYS better (it's not) and that there's somehow something wrong with "old tech." It also would be interesting to know on what basis you claim "only a handfull with keep playing there" and what the DC-6 has to do with it. Sometimes the "new tech" is a waste of money, and a portion of the reason that this polluted world is so polluted is some people's tendency to get with "new" automatically, as if it is somehow better.

Granted that new IS sometimes better, but not always. And is it mandatory that everyone have the "best?"

maybe for some planes, certainly not for all, maybe you need to setup your peripherals better, the ga aircaft fly quite

Since I don't know your background, I don't know if you've flown real aircraft, but you might keep in mind that mallcott is a very experienced real world pilot, in addition to being a very experienced simmer. Based on your attitude in your comments, I suspect he's been a pilot longer than you've been alive (if you're much older than that I'd be surprised).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

"What's the best car -- a Suzuki Swift or Chrysler Crossfire?"

The answer is likely to depend on whether or not you're a widowed retiree who only drives to fetch groceries once a week. If it ticks all the boxes (including economy and ease of parking)...

As for old tech, consider the Lockheed C-130, first flight 1954. It's probably older than your grandparents.

Denigrating investment? What payback will there be from the exploration of uninhabitable planets?

Finally... are PC based simulators anything like the real thing? I have one whole RW hour under my belt and I'm confident that they all, even in VR, bear about as much resemblance to the real thing as playing Dirt Rally on a laptop in your bedroom does to doing a ton fifty through a snowy forest at night.

Best keep quiet until you have more experience. ;)

Edited by defaid

I have about 3 Mbps in a good day and works ok for me. Sure, it takes forever to load and an update may take the whole afternoon, but I still enjoy it. You need to adjust your settings to what you have and you will be ok.

One of my grandfathers just made it, born in 1899 and five years after my house was built. I'm not sure what he did during the great war but he told me once of being flown over Basingstoke in a biplane by one of his friends in the Royal Flying Corps.

I imagine it was quite a 'compact' experience. I don't think he ever flew again...

• 4 weeks later...
Weighing in from Oz having had a glass of red wine, and gleaning that this thread seems to be morphing into a flame war, here is my five cents worth! Doesn't matter what sim you use. There are very good alternatives to Microsoft products or derivatives: try X-plane and Flightgear. Also, one doesn't need to be stuck with Microsoft Windows operating systems, opensource software is very viable e.g. Linux including Ubuntu platforms. Lots of choice out there. Just experiment with stuff and see how you go. Of course as we all know, that can be the biggest time waster, along with the simming hobby itself, just ask my wife! ("Darling, why haven't you done anything in the last month fixing the house, its falling down?" "Yes dear, I know, but I have very important things to do right now, I'll fix the house next weekend" (not!) Edited by MAD1

• 1 month later...

It would be interesting how you know that -- perhaps you have sources we don't know about?.? The forums are not necessarily an indicator, though they sometimes reflect how much trouble people are having.

After all, it's still being marketed, and that doesn't happen very long for a "dead" piece of software.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!