Things I miss from FS 10

I now will only post a shorten list of things that I miss from FS10.

The first that I think about is the VFR MAP.

In FS 10 you could do a lot more things than the one we now have.

You could pick up and place your plane any where you please and place it any direction.

You could get rid of any or all of the items that you deem clutter.

You could see the path that your plane took.

If you wanted you could zoom out a lot farther than the new one.

The city's all had names which was great for dorks like me.

I remember one time when I placed my Baron 130,000 feet. The engine died and it went wild until it got down to a lower altitude. Pretty cool.

It is too bad the new map can't do these things. I miss it.

It seems that sometime people makes things more complicated than need be. That is probability not true but we are talking about computers and all the lovely things you can do with them. If they can do so much then how about using some of that computer power to make things a little more simple for us.

Half the time I have no idea what they are talking about. I think they could do it if they were not so lazy. I need to get back on track.

In FS 10 you could move around easier than today. Like in FS 2010 when you start down a path you are locked in and the only way out to start all over from the start. For example, several times when I build a flight I forget about the time and end up starting a flight in the middle of the night when I really wanted it to be high noon.. To correct it I have to go to the runways to build a new flight. (unless I don't know how to build a flight)

In FS 10 all I had to do was pull up the time and just like that my problem was solved.

That is all for now.

I have to fly over to Paris and try for the umpteen time try to fly under that tall tower over there.

Just one more thing.

FS 2010 is my flight sim of choice and I don't want to complain about it too much.

FS 10 has had plenty of time to iron out the kinks. It's time has come and is time to move on.

More to come later.

VFRguy

or example, several times when I build a flight I forget about the time and end up starting a flight in the middle of the night when I really wanted it to be high noon.. To correct it I have to go to the runways to build a new flight.

In the sim, move your cursor toward the top of the screen and click on the white bar that appears there. A row of icons will drop down.

Each icon opens a different settings menu, the cloud icon allows you to change the date and time as well as the weather.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Glen, you’ll find the VFR map by clicking the small white triangle which appears at the top of the screen, as Tim has already said.

However, I personally find it pretty useless.

The are loads of free maps available though, many of which use google street maps

Like this one for example.. https://www.msfsaddons.org/freeware/plugin-vfrmap

There are also maps which will display on a tablet or smartphone. You see your plane moving across the map & it’s ideal for finding your way around the towns & cities.

Like this excellent one.. https://www.fsmaptool.com/. This one isn’t free but it’s very cheap (something like $2 if I remember correctly)

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

For what it's worth, you don't have to give up FSX just because you are getting into MSFS now. They can coexist just fine on the same computer. I have MSFS, P3D5, and FSX all on this computer.

I keep FSX around to fly the Captain Sim 727 and L1011, along with the PMDG MD-11 and JS4100. Dave Maltby's freeware Trident and BAC 1-11 also are worth keeping in flying shape! None of these planes will likely ever make it into P3D, let alone MSFS (maybe the JS4100, because RR loves it). But I can still fly them whenever I want and enjoy some of the things about FSX that you mention missing in MSFS.

FSX with ORBX FTX Global Base and Vector, Active Sky weather, REX Soft Clouds, and Steve's DX10 fixer looks pretty darn good. Honestly, the sky and weather look better than what's available in MSFS, imo. MSFS obviously is a quantum leap in ground scenery!

FSX with ORBX FTX Global Base and Vector, Active Sky weather, REX Soft Clouds, and Steve's DX10 fixer looks pretty darn good. Honestly, the sky and weather look better than what's available in MSFS, imo.

With all these addons I feel no urgency in getting MSFS whatsoever. The sim peaked with FSX. Now had MSFS added something revolutionary it may have been different, but apart from fancy scenery I see no benefit. I'm thinking sort sort of career mode or similar, or actual grading system as in real world maybe.

Edited by anaismith

And THAT my friends is why that ice cream store chain makes all them flavors. Some folks still delight in playing the text version of Zork, and that's fine too.

Thankfully we ALL get to choose how we spend the 24 hours we all get each day. Asobo/Microsoft came out with this latest flight sim version, which I find spectacular by the way, but it did NOT come with a requirement that everyone purchase and use it.

You only gotta keep YOU happy after all. I make MY daily choices based solely upon what I want to do each day with MY 24. Now and then that includes plugging in the various flight-sim hardware I bought and taking virtual flight anywhere on the globe I care to visit.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

• 2 weeks later...

Although I had an FSX demo, I never installed FSX and I really went from FS2004 to '2020. It's true that '2020 seems unnecessarily complex. What is Anthropomorphic Posturatypical Threading and if there was such a thing, why should I care? I'm a pilot and sim fan, not a programmer. I miss instant replay most of all. I am a perfectionist and I loved critiquing my own landings and maneuvers. I miss tower view and fly-by view. I miss being able to have the option of a simplified forward view with basic instrumentation and not being stuck with just the frame-rate-sucking virtual cockpit. I miss being able to fly without the program crashing-to-desktop or freezing half the time. I so much miss being able to download and fly almost every kind of aircraft known to mankind. Seriously, my FS2004 aircraft folder put the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum to shame. Now if I want to fly the extra handful of useable aircraft for MSFS2020, I have to go to their own, approved marketplace and pay a premium for an airplane. I miss the time when updates would not potentially cause Flightsimulator to malfunction or even crash and not be useable. I miss the time when good enough could just be left alone.

I think MSFS2020 was released prematurely and probably should have been more like MSFS-2021 or 2022. It could have been made, while not perfect, at least been reliable and useable. I am going back to FSX, maybe even X-Plane for now.

Edited by Ducktooth
Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz, 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Windows 10

I was a long-time user of FSX (15 years), augmented by Ultimate Terrain and other add-ons, and can testify that it was a great sim for its time. But I have a completely different perspective from some of the opinions presented in this thread. For me, MSFS 2020 completely blows away FSX and X-plane; it is a revolutionary advance, as has indeed been recognized in most professional reviews. The ultra-realistic satellite-based scenery and advanced weather and flight dynamics give a feeling feeling of immersion that is beyond what any earlier sim has to offer. To address some specific points raised:

First, while I had hundreds of aircraft in FSX I flew only a select few; most just stayed in the hangar. What is the the benefit of having zillions of planes when most of them go unused? The premium deluxe version of MSFS comes with 40 planes, and others (e.g. the Grumman Goose) are available as freeware. This is a bit more than a "handful".

Second, the virtual cockpits in MSFS are NOT "frame-rate-sucking", if your system is reasonably good. Frames are not an inherent problem in MSFS; in comparison, it was much worse in FSX when it was introduced. Especially since the latest update, I have found that flying in most regions is silky smooth, even in scenery-dense areas.

Third, tower view and fly-by view ARE available in MSFS via the drone camera, which is an amazing tool if you take the trouble to learn how to use it, but it takes patience. For those unwilling to do this, sorry, but it is hardly a defect in the program.

Finally, whether or not MSFS was released prematurely, after 9 months and five major updates it has evolved into a truly fantastic sim, and with many hundreds of add-ons (many of them freeware) it is becoming more so all the time.

Edited by cobalt

opinions , opinions thats all what we hear here, and i have those too.

it doesnt really matter whatever you play, as long as you have fun doing it.

still i see a trend of certain ppl really sticking to their old , probably heavily invested stuff, and bashing

the sim for no reason at all.

no way i can go back to the other sims, and it seems a vast majority thinks the same.

opinions , opinions thats all what we hear here, and i have those too.

it doesnt really matter whatever you play, as long as you have fun doing it.

still i see a trend of certain ppl really sticking to their old , probably heavily invested stuff, and bashing

the sim for no reason at all.

no way i can go back to the other sims, and it seems a vast majority thinks the same.

I agree. But there will always be people who want to spit in your soup.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

My fav thing in FSX was the ability to record my own flight, then add the recording as an AI aircraft in the mission builder, start it up and fly wingman to myself :D

Then of course doing several different ones, and timing them all together to make scenario's of aircraft doing complex maneuvers together :cool:

If I could trade one item from FS20 for one item from FSX it would be the VFR MAP.

Are you guys talking about the top-down (satellite map) which you get when you press the F12 key?

In that case yes I miss that too.

Other things I sorely miss from FSX is:

1. Flyby view

2. Flyby view

3. Flyby view.

4. Ability to change liveries or entire aircraft in mid-flight.

5. Ability to jump to another airfield in mid-flight, instead of having to go all the way back to the main menu

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

If I could trade one item from FS20 for one item from FSX it would be the VFR MAP.

I did not know how much I liked the FSX VFR MAP until I moved to FS20.

VFRguy

Hi Glen, there are loads of free maps available though, many of which use google street maps

Like this one for example.. https://www.msfsaddons.org/freeware/plugin-vfrmap

There are also maps which will display on a tablet or smartphone. You see your plane moving across the map & it’s ideal for finding your way around the towns & cities.

Like this excellent one.. https://www.fsmaptool.com/. This one isn’t free but it’s very cheap (something like $2 if I remember correctly)

I even have one which I use in VR. I put the map on the empty co-pilot’s seat & works well. I can even click on the map somewhere & teleport my aircraft to that location should I want to.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

It’s fine Glen. Your phone needs to connect to flight sim.

It’s a very good tool once it’s set up. I take it you’ve downloaded the server?

You can see what others are saying about it here..

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/587506-fs-map-tool-a-new-mobile-map-app-utility-for-ms-fs-2020/

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Did you download & install the map tools server?

You install the server, then it puts a little icon at the bottom right of your computer screen. Clicking that will display your IP address.

You then simply enter that on the phone app (& launch flight sim of course)

https://www.fsmaptool.com/setup

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

you may need to click the little chevron to see the plane icon. (not sure why my icon was red when I took the screenshot, but it’s green now)

maptool.jpg

clicking the icon will display the ip address to enter on your phone

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

OK

I am up and running.

Had to reinstall server.

All is ok

Flying over Enid, Oklahoma as I speak.

APP looks good

Will need to make a few test flights

to check this thing out.

THANKS a bunch.

VFRguy

No problem, glad it’s working :)

You can zoom in on the map of course and it also displays your speed & heading.

Regards

Steve

Tablet? No problem at all.

I have it installed on my iPad. Much better than a phone. Having both an iPhone & an iPad.. I only had to buy the app once.

Hope you don’t have to pay for it again, not that it’s costs very much.

Regards

Steve