I believe I have tried everything now to get rid of the dreaded crash to desktop.

Nothing in the Community folder.

Windows Page file set as advised

Hard drive checked for both errors and viruses.

Nothing else running but MSFS

Video drivers are the latest

Windows 10 fully up to date regarding updates

And yet I can still only fly for about 90minutes before I get the dreaded pause and stutter followed by the crash to desktop without any message or explanation.

I have monitored the CPU and memory useage in task manager and nothing seems to be amiss.

Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, have you overclocked any of your hardware? If you have, then you might want to go back to the default speeds. MSFS doesn’t like it and I believe it’s more prone to CTDs if you do.

If you haven’t overclocked then it’s back to the drawing board. You seem to have checked all the usual stuff already.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I second Steve's suggestion, but if that does not work, I suspect it is heat buildup in your GPU. What case are you using, and how many case fans do you have?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I second Steve's suggestion, but if that does not work, I suspect it is heat buildup in your GPU. What case are you using, and how many case fans do you have?

Heat could be a problem.

I would suggest that he monitor the heat his CPU's and GPU are putting out. I use MSI afterburner, it has an option to output what items he wants monitored and while flying he can toggle the display.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Thanks for the suggestions. I've not overclocked.

Never thought about a heat problem, its an off-the-shelf DELL xps case, I think there are two fans, but have never had the cover off to check. I'll look into it.

Thanks again,

Geoff

Geoff, here are some links to a couple of useful utilites that can help diagnose if you are indeed having a heat problem.

Core Temp-https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

HW Monitor-https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I love HW monitor!

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I have a Radeon card and the two things that have helped me reduce CTDs to an acceptable level are (1) close all windows other than MSFS, especially on the same monitor, and resist the temptation ever to alt-tab to some other window while playing the sim, and (2) exit the Radeon Software that runs resident behind the game (I think NVidia has a similar one). The idea behind both is to reduce the load on the GPU and the number of different things talking to the GPU. Removing mods didn't help at all, and I think this is only rarely the cause of CTDs, especially ones that occur after many minutes of play.

August

Geoff, here are some links to a couple of useful utilites that can help diagnose if you are indeed having a heat problem.

Core Temp-https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

HW Monitor-https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I love HW monitor!

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded HW monitor and will use it for a few longer flights and see if anything shows up.

Geoff

I've recently had a couple of CTD's during longer flights - never used to happen but this thread has put me on to a strong possibility that the GPU is overheating. It's almost always running at 100% (GeForce GTX1650) whilst the CPU is just pootling along at around 50%. As a first step I've cleared a bit more space around the case to try and improve ventilation. However if I think about it, it's occurred on a couple of the significantly warmer days we're getting here in the UK, also I cannot recall the fans running.................

I've downloaded HW Monitor and will keep an eye on things to see if this could be the cause. I'll also have to research some additional cooling if it turns out to be the problem although a more powerful graphics card would obviously be a much better solution.

But not at todays prices!

I've recently had a couple of CTD's during longer flights - never used to happen but this thread has put me on to a strong possibility that the GPU is overheating. It's almost always running at 100% (GeForce GTX1650) whilst the CPU is just pootling along at around 50%. As a first step I've cleared a bit more space around the case to try and improve ventilation. However if I think about it, it's occurred on a couple of the significantly warmer days we're getting here in the UK, also I cannot recall the fans running.................

I've downloaded HW Monitor and will keep an eye on things to see if this could be the cause. I'll also have to research some additional cooling if it turns out to be the problem although a more powerful graphics card would obviously be a much better solution.

But not at todays prices!