Dazed and Confused about MSFS 2020

Richkam

Hi All,

I am a long time flight simmer contemplating buying MSFS 2020 Deluxe Edition for use on my PC. However I am confused about something.

First, in FSX we could add scores of different aftermarket aircraft, panels, etc. to the simulation. My question is can the same be done with this new version? Can it be done with the Steam version? Are there as yet freeware addons available?

Rich

While there are a few addon aircraft available, both payware and a few freeware, the selection is still very limited, and many introduce as many problems as they add variety to the new simulator. This is a completely different program than FSX. It is still being frequently updated with many changes and revisions. What worked in an older version of MSFS 2020 may cause the newer update to crash. The visual environment is truly spectacular, stunning!! The command structure and operation of things like the AP are very different from previous versions, there is a steep learning curve. Once you experience the dramatic scenery you will find it hard to go back to older simulators
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

First, in FSX we could add scores of different aftermarket aircraft, panels, etc. to the simulation. My question is can the same be done with this new version? Can it be done with the Steam version? Are there as yet freeware addons available?

Yes of course, except the process is now EVEN EASIER! Just unzip the add-on file and move it to the Community folder. That's it. No scenery layers or anything else to worry about - 99% of add-on files don't alter the default files in any way, and the 1% that do (usually User Interface or UI mods) come with clear instructions.

The one-stop-shop for freeware add-ons (now referred to as modifications or mods) is flightsim.to:

https://flightsim.to/

For payware mods check out the flightsim.com store from the menu at the top of this page or here: https://store.flightsim.com/product-category/msfs/

PS. Nice Led Zep reference in the title!

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64