My thoughts on the name "MSFS"

Some people may find it strange there was never a suffix number given to the new simulator, but if you think about it this way, it sort of makes sense:

When Windows 10 came out, Microsoft announced that it would be the last change of a "head number". In other words, no Windows 11 will probably ever exist, because all subsequent OS updates will be done as a sub-number change, within the Windows 10 format. Example: Version "21H1", Build "19043.985". So no need to ever move up from Windows 10.

Well, I'm guessing their thinking was the same with Flight Simulator. All subsequent updates will be given version numbers within the name "MSFS", so no need to ever have an FS11, 12, etc. They could have called it FS11, as that's the next natural number above FSX, but they didn't necessarily have to, if they felt that this sim is the one to end all sims, minus the continuous updates.

Just a theory, and I know some say that this is a tired old topic that doesn't need to be discussed again, but since I offered hypotheses instead of complaining about it, I figured maybe the admins wouldn't mind one more time.

Hi John, it’s not just a theory but a well known fact. They say it will keep going for at least 10 years and will be regularly updated. Whether or not it does keep going that long is another thing.. but I hope it does 😀

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Hi John, it’s not just a theory but a well known fact. They say it will keep going for at least 10 years and will be regularly updated. Whether or not it does keep going that long is another thing.. but I hope it does 😀

Regards

Steve

I hope so too.

Some people may find it strange there was never a suffix number given to the new simulator, but if you think about it this way, it sort of makes sense:

When Windows 10 came out, Microsoft announced that it would be the last change of a "head number". In other words, no Windows 11 will probably ever exist, because all subsequent OS updates will be done as a sub-number change, within the Windows 10 format. Example: Version "21H1", Build "19043.985". So no need to ever move up from Windows 10.

Alas and alack Windows 11 is about 3 weeks away from being announced. :D

Regards

Steve

Didn't know that, I think it helps making clear many things, including some future personal plans.

I also hope it keeps going, but now I'm concerned about that sudden news about a new "threat" named Windows 11. We'll see if the new conflicts it will cause won't ruine Asobo's plans for 10 years.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)