Nothing But Trouble After May 25 Update!

I had two months of CTD-free aviation bliss until May 25, and installation of the last putative "update." Now, I can't open anything in Alaska, and about half of my other attempts to open the sim result in CTDs -- regardless of weather, location, aircraft.

Why is it that the Adobo people cannot learn to leave the well enough alone? Or, barring that, why can't they pre-test and promulgate a bug-free update that does not render the sim totally unusable?

This is technically a question: What can I do?

(Yeah, I know: Reinstall! But I have no reason to believe that would fix whatever problem they have introduced.)

One question... Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder?

It's well documented that older add-ons can cause problems for latest updates. Only add-ons I have are ORBX scenery and FSUIPC7 and also a few repaints.

The add-ons that directly effect aircraft etc. can be troublesome until a updated add-on can be obtained.

Try moving any add-ons out of the Community folder and restart your computer/sim.

I agree with your belief...the last thing you want to do is reinstall the sim since it worked OK before.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

One question... Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder?

It's well documented that older add-ons can cause problems for latest updates. Only add-ons I have are ORBX scenery and FSUIPC7 and also a few repaints.

The add-ons that directly effect aircraft etc. can be troublesome until a updated add-on can be obtained.

Try moving any add-ons out of the Community folder and restart your computer/sim.

I agree with your belief...the last thing you want to do is reinstall the sim since it worked OK before.

Yes, I have many add-ons, but had almost no CTDs before the update last week. As suggested by the on-screen prompts, before proceeding with that update, I moved the entire Community folder out of Packages, created a new empty dummy Community folder, then swapped in the old Community after the update.

If add-ons are a problem with the "latest updates," that would mean that every update renders thousands of sims unstable. How do you know which add-ons are the problem?

I have a few Orbx add-ons, too. Are you suggesting that Orbx add-ons are not problematic?

Only obvious thing I saw with ORBX products was the Content page said they (and all other add-ons) were "Not Installed" when they were in fact installed. This has been corrected in later update.

Guess trial and error are the only way to know which add-ons are a problem.

One thing ORBX recommends though is this...

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/203810-the-rolling-cache-and-new-scenery-installations/

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Y

If add-ons are a problem with the "latest updates," that would mean that every update renders thousands of sims unstable. How do you know which add-ons are the problem?

?

You use an add on manager and enable them one by one. If the sim breaks say after mod #6 is enabled then you know which one is affecting it. Course, it could be several mods which are causing a conflict :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

You use an add on manager and enable them one by one. If the sim breaks say after mod #6 is enabled then you know which one is affecting it. Course, it could be several mods which are causing a conflict :)

1. I have indeed downloaded an add-on manager, but the instrux were so complex it seemed simpler to do what I have done (see above). I can put the add-ons back one-by-one from my reserved Community folder. Better yet, I can add a bunch, and then wait and see. Otherwise, it would take months (well, weeks) of constant rebooting to find the culprit.

2, Sounds good, but NO. As you say, there could be several culprits. Also, I have never found the sim completely unplayable, and even in the best of times there are the occasional CTDs. So if you put one add-on back in and you have a CTD after the second reboot, you have no idea.

I just want to be back where I was on May 24: no CTDs EXCEPT when trying to reopen a saved flight -- a chronic problem for me, and perhaps for others. But one you can live with -- just don't try to open saved flights.

...no CTDs EXCEPT when trying to reopen a saved flight -- a chronic problem for me, and perhaps for others. But one you can live with -- just don't try to open saved flights.

I could see where older saved flights could cause CTD (and as you've experienced) as it attempts to use previous version data. Probably best to delete them.

I could see where older saved flights could cause CTD (and as you've experienced) as it attempts to use previous version data. Probably best to delete them.

I usually (>50%) get a CTD when I try to open a flight I saved yesterday!

Do you use live weather or live traffic? If so, the same logic applies.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I usually (>50%) get a CTD when I try to open a flight I saved yesterday!

Try this (from the flightsimulator.com forums):

The first time you press “LOAD”, it will only display .flt files.

In the File name search window, enter *.pln ( for any file with type pln) and it will display the .pln files.

Select your .pln file and you should be back where you left off.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Do you use live weather or live traffic? If so, the same logic applies.

I have never used either, so far.

But I am conducting an experiment: I want to know if shutting down the sim the lo-o-o-o-ng way (ESC; Main Menu; Shut down) makes it more likely that a saved flight will reopen than shutting down the quick way (go to Windows mode, click on the X).

I am also considering trying hopping up and down on one leg and saying "wubba-wubba-wubba" repeatedly.

I am also considering trying hopping up and down on one leg and saying "wubba-wubba-wubba" repeatedly.

If it works out for you in MSFS, I might try it next time I purchase a lottery ticket :)

I started this thread after the update on May 25, but I now want to look at the forest, instead of the trees:

Since my last post, MSFS has become totally dysfunctional. I've removed all my add-ons, then moved a few back. Had 3 days of pretty trouble-free flights, then the CTDs started again. Tried the "Repair" function, to no apparent effect. This morning, I had four consecutive CTDs -- three of them at my home airport, KDCA. (By "CTD," I don't mean in mid-flight. I mean I couldn't get past the "Fly" screen after loading my parameters.)

Then (just to complicate things) I went to London City, and flew the default DA62 over what may be the densest photogrammetry scenery in MSFS, with no problem.

I am convinced the problem lies in the May 25 update. So here's my question:

WILL A CLEAN INSTALL FIX THE PROBLME, WHATEVER IT IS?

What are your system specs, and be detailed. It does not help to say I have a Dell. We need to know case and memory and CPU and GPU and monitor resolution. You may have a hardware issue, in which case a clean install might be of no benefit? If your MSFS has become corrupted, then that may be your only solution. Some of those addons may have altered files during the install? There are a lot of us running the program without issue.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

What are your system specs, and be detailed. It does not help to say I have a Dell. We need to know case and memory and CPU and GPU and monitor resolution. You may have a hardware issue, in which case a clean install might be of no benefit? If your MSFS has become corrupted, then that may be your only solution. Some of those addons may have altered files during the install? There are a lot of us running the program without issue.

Thanks for your careful reply.

My specs (in as much detail of which I am capable):

i7-8700 3.7 GHz

GeForce GTX 1070 Ti; 8GB onboard

AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 LGA 1151 ATX motherboard

16GB RAM

2 TB hard drive

27” MSI gaming monitor (set at 2560 X 1440)

As you may see from this thread, I, too, ran the program without issue (well, not too many) -- all until May 25. So I doubt there's any sort of hardware problem that would suddenly make the sim unusable. I'll add that in the early days, like last fall, I had a lot more CTDs and other stuff than in more recent months, but had long assumed that the substantial improvement in stability was due to Adobo tinkering in the updates.

When you say add-ons may haver altered files, do you mean that they may have altered files in such a way that removing the add-on does not correct the alteration? That would explain a lot! BTW, all my add-ons have come from Flight.to, Orbx (a few scenery enhancements) and the Marketplace in MSFS. Should all be safe, no?

Try this (from the flightsimulator.com forums):

The first time you press “LOAD”, it will only display .flt files.

In the File name search window, enter *.pln ( for any file with type pln) and it will display the .pln files.

Select your .pln file and you should be back where you left off.

I must not understand something. Pressing LOAD only displays .flt files. That's because when you save a flight, the sim creates a .flt file. The only .pln files in the sim appear to be canned training situations from MSFS; and, of course, none of them appear when you press LOAD.

BTW, I just reviewed my daily notes since January. I had only 2 CTDs that were NOT experienced when trying to open a .flt file.

I must not understand something. Pressing LOAD only displays .flt files.

There would seem to be an issue with your setup if you can't see both .flt and .pln saved files. Here's what I see when I press LOAD:

LOAD.jpg

Note that the saved flights are in the LocalState folder, NOT one of the sub-folders such as Missions.

You may need to navigate to the LocalState folder to see your saved .pln files.

Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

There would seem to be an issue with your setup if you can't see both .flt and .pln saved files. Here's what I see when I press LOAD:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]226442[/ATTACH]

Note that the saved flights are in the LocalState folder, NOT one of the sub-folders such as Missions.

You may need to navigate to the LocalState folder to see your saved .pln files.

I assumed you meant press LOAD in the sim, from the Welcome page: you can insert parameters or press LOAD to select a saved flight. When I press LOAD at that point, I see nothing like your screenshot. I get a list of saved flights in a window, all designated .FLT, and nothing else.

When I go to the LocalState folder, it appears that every flight I have ever saved is represented with three files: .SPB, .FLT and FLT.SSave. That is, the names I assigned before the dot are identical: "TakeoffKDCA.SPB," TakeoffKDCA.FLT," "TakeoffKDCA.FLT.FSSave."

There is not a single .PLN file!

As I said earlier, there is a solution to this problem: Don't save flights.

I assumed you meant press LOAD in the sim, from the Welcome page

There's your trouble. Click on the World Map, THEN select load.

There's your trouble. Click on the World Map, THEN select load.

I click LOAD the only time it appears after starting up the sim. Maybe I shouldn't call it the the "Welcome Page." It's where you go after you click on the upper left quadrant of the first thing you get to after you boot up. But any way you slice it, I have no .PLN files in LocalState.

I see in the fine print you only get a .pln with a "valid flight plan." Maybe that's my problem. I don't seek approval. I put in the destination and follow the GPS route. Or, sometimes, I just load a small plane, like a Cub or Carenado's biplane, at an originating airport to fly around a scenic area, and hope I don't hit anybody.

I see in the fine print you only get a .pln with a "valid flight plan." Maybe that's my problem.

Yes, a valid flight plan must have a departure airport and an arrival airport (which can be the same airport in this sim) otherwise the sim regards your flight as free flight only.

Yes, a valid flight plan must have a departure airport and an arrival airport (which can be the same airport in this sim) otherwise the sim regards your flight as free flight only.

Well, I often put in BOTH origin and destination, as I said, and then follow the GPS route. But I still have no .PLN files in LocalState.

(Wish this were my biggest headache.)

Well, I often put in BOTH origin and destination, as I said, and then follow the GPS route. But I still have no .PLN files in LocalState.

(Wish this were my biggest headache.)

MSFS doesn't automatically save your flight plan for you, like FSX did. You have to press Space or click Load/Save along the bottom of the World Map screen before clicking on Fly.

Edited by tiger1962

Thanks for everyone who's tried to help. But here's some good news:

A week ago, I did 2 things: as advised here, I updated Win 10 and also removed Orbx's "Edgley" plane (installed June 8) from my Community folder. Since then, I have opened 9 scenarios successfully (including 3 saved flights), and only had one CTD. This is a great improvement over the 5 consecutive CTDs I had on June 8 -9.

I am tempted to conclude that the Edgley was the stinker, somehow. I shall test that hypothesis further. Some day.