Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nothing But Trouble After May 25 Update!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac6737 View Post
    I usually (>50%) get a CTD when I try to open a flight I saved yesterday!
    Try this (from the flightsimulator.com forums):

The first time you press “LOAD”, it will only display .flt files.

In the File name search window, enter *.pln ( for any file with type pln) and it will display the .pln files.

Select your .pln file and you should be back where you left off.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    Do you use live weather or live traffic? If so, the same logic applies.
    I have never used either, so far.

But I am conducting an experiment: I want to know if shutting down the sim the lo-o-o-o-ng way (ESC; Main Menu; Shut down) makes it more likely that a saved flight will reopen than shutting down the quick way (go to Windows mode, click on the X).

I am also considering trying hopping up and down on one leg and saying "wubba-wubba-wubba" repeatedly.

I am also considering trying hopping up and down on one leg and saying "wubba-wubba-wubba" repeatedly.
    If it works out for you in MSFS, I might try it next time I purchase a lottery ticket
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Default Even Worse Now!

I started this thread after the update on May 25, but I now want to look at the forest, instead of the trees:

Since my last post, MSFS has become totally dysfunctional. I've removed all my add-ons, then moved a few back. Had 3 days of pretty trouble-free flights, then the CTDs started again. Tried the "Repair" function, to no apparent effect. This morning, I had four consecutive CTDs -- three of them at my home airport, KDCA. (By "CTD," I don't mean in mid-flight. I mean I couldn't get past the "Fly" screen after loading my parameters.)

Then (just to complicate things) I went to London City, and flew the default DA62 over what may be the densest photogrammetry scenery in MSFS, with no problem.

I am convinced the problem lies in the May 25 update. So here's my question:

WILL A CLEAN INSTALL FIX THE PROBLME, WHATEVER IT IS?

What are your system specs, and be detailed. It does not help to say I have a Dell. We need to know case and memory and CPU and GPU and monitor resolution. You may have a hardware issue, in which case a clean install might be of no benefit? If your MSFS has become corrupted, then that may be your only solution. Some of those addons may have altered files during the install? There are a lot of us running the program without issue.
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    What are your system specs, and be detailed. It does not help to say I have a Dell. We need to know case and memory and CPU and GPU and monitor resolution. You may have a hardware issue, in which case a clean install might be of no benefit? If your MSFS has become corrupted, then that may be your only solution. Some of those addons may have altered files during the install? There are a lot of us running the program without issue.
    Thanks for your careful reply.

My specs (in as much detail of which I am capable):

i7-8700 3.7 GHz
    GeForce GTX 1070 Ti; 8GB onboard
    AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 LGA 1151 ATX motherboard
    16GB RAM
    2 TB hard drive
    27” MSI gaming monitor (set at 2560 X 1440)

As you may see from this thread, I, too, ran the program without issue (well, not too many) -- all until May 25. So I doubt there's any sort of hardware problem that would suddenly make the sim unusable. I'll add that in the early days, like last fall, I had a lot more CTDs and other stuff than in more recent months, but had long assumed that the substantial improvement in stability was due to Adobo tinkering in the updates.

When you say add-ons may haver altered files, do you mean that they may have altered files in such a way that removing the add-on does not correct the alteration? That would explain a lot! BTW, all my add-ons have come from Flight.to, Orbx (a few scenery enhancements) and the Marketplace in MSFS. Should all be safe, no?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    Try this (from the flightsimulator.com forums):

The first time you press “LOAD”, it will only display .flt files.

In the File name search window, enter *.pln ( for any file with type pln) and it will display the .pln files.

Select your .pln file and you should be back where you left off.
    I must not understand something. Pressing LOAD only displays .flt files. That's because when you save a flight, the sim creates a .flt file. The only .pln files in the sim appear to be canned training situations from MSFS; and, of course, none of them appear when you press LOAD.

BTW, I just reviewed my daily notes since January. I had only 2 CTDs that were NOT experienced when trying to open a .flt file.

I must not understand something. Pressing LOAD only displays .flt files.
    There would seem to be an issue with your setup if you can't see both .flt and .pln saved files. Here's what I see when I press LOAD:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOAD.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	226442

Note that the saved flights are in the LocalState folder, NOT one of the sub-folders such as Missions.
    You may need to navigate to the LocalState folder to see your saved .pln files.
    Last edited by tiger1962; 06-10-2021 at 03:52 PM.
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    There would seem to be an issue with your setup if you can't see both .flt and .pln saved files. Here's what I see when I press LOAD:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOAD.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	226442

Note that the saved flights are in the LocalState folder, NOT one of the sub-folders such as Missions.
    You may need to navigate to the LocalState folder to see your saved .pln files.
    I assumed you meant press LOAD in the sim, from the Welcome page: you can insert parameters or press LOAD to select a saved flight. When I press LOAD at that point, I see nothing like your screenshot. I get a list of saved flights in a window, all designated .FLT, and nothing else.

When I go to the LocalState folder, it appears that every flight I have ever saved is represented with three files: .SPB, .FLT and FLT.SSave. That is, the names I assigned before the dot are identical: "TakeoffKDCA.SPB," TakeoffKDCA.FLT," "TakeoffKDCA.FLT.FSSave."

There is not a single .PLN file!

As I said earlier, there is a solution to this problem: Don't save flights.

I assumed you meant press LOAD in the sim, from the Welcome page
    There's your trouble. Click on the World Map, THEN select load.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast