Thread: Nothing But Trouble After May 25 Update!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Nothing But Trouble After May 25 Update!

I had two months of CTD-free aviation bliss until May 25, and installation of the last putative "update." Now, I can't open anything in Alaska, and about half of my other attempts to open the sim result in CTDs -- regardless of weather, location, aircraft.

Why is it that the Adobo people cannot learn to leave the well enough alone? Or, barring that, why can't they pre-test and promulgate a bug-free update that does not render the sim totally unusable?

This is technically a question: What can I do?

(Yeah, I know: Reinstall! But I have no reason to believe that would fix whatever problem they have introduced.)

One question... Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder?

It's well documented that older add-ons can cause problems for latest updates. Only add-ons I have are ORBX scenery and FSUIPC7 and also a few repaints.

The add-ons that directly effect aircraft etc. can be troublesome until a updated add-on can be obtained.

Try moving any add-ons out of the Community folder and restart your computer/sim.

I agree with your belief...the last thing you want to do is reinstall the sim since it worked OK before.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dogdish View Post
    One question... Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder?

It's well documented that older add-ons can cause problems for latest updates. Only add-ons I have are ORBX scenery and FSUIPC7 and also a few repaints.

The add-ons that directly effect aircraft etc. can be troublesome until a updated add-on can be obtained.

Try moving any add-ons out of the Community folder and restart your computer/sim.

I agree with your belief...the last thing you want to do is reinstall the sim since it worked OK before.
    Yes, I have many add-ons, but had almost no CTDs before the update last week. As suggested by the on-screen prompts, before proceeding with that update, I moved the entire Community folder out of Packages, created a new empty dummy Community folder, then swapped in the old Community after the update.

If add-ons are a problem with the "latest updates," that would mean that every update renders thousands of sims unstable. How do you know which add-ons are the problem?

I have a few Orbx add-ons, too. Are you suggesting that Orbx add-ons are not problematic?

Only obvious thing I saw with ORBX products was the Content page said they (and all other add-ons) were "Not Installed" when they were in fact installed. This has been corrected in later update.

Guess trial and error are the only way to know which add-ons are a problem.

One thing ORBX recommends though is this...

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/...installations/
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mac6737 View Post
    Y

If add-ons are a problem with the "latest updates," that would mean that every update renders thousands of sims unstable. How do you know which add-ons are the problem?

?
    You use an add on manager and enable them one by one. If the sim breaks say after mod #6 is enabled then you know which one is affecting it. Course, it could be several mods which are causing a conflict
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by davidc2 View Post
    You use an add on manager and enable them one by one. If the sim breaks say after mod #6 is enabled then you know which one is affecting it. Course, it could be several mods which are causing a conflict
    1. I have indeed downloaded an add-on manager, but the instrux were so complex it seemed simpler to do what I have done (see above). I can put the add-ons back one-by-one from my reserved Community folder. Better yet, I can add a bunch, and then wait and see. Otherwise, it would take months (well, weeks) of constant rebooting to find the culprit.

2, Sounds good, but NO. As you say, there could be several culprits. Also, I have never found the sim completely unplayable, and even in the best of times there are the occasional CTDs. So if you put one add-on back in and you have a CTD after the second reboot, you have no idea.

I just want to be back where I was on May 24: no CTDs EXCEPT when trying to reopen a saved flight -- a chronic problem for me, and perhaps for others. But one you can live with -- just don't try to open saved flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac6737 View Post
    ...no CTDs EXCEPT when trying to reopen a saved flight -- a chronic problem for me, and perhaps for others. But one you can live with -- just don't try to open saved flights.
    I could see where older saved flights could cause CTD (and as you've experienced) as it attempts to use previous version data. Probably best to delete them.

Make sure your windows are up to date with the current version..Not installing windows updates can cause CTD's

Try creating a flightplan with waypoints, for example select VOR to VOR flightplan from the drop down menu, then save and load it again. You should definitely have a .flt and .pln file.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64