Choose another runway

Oakland Airport KOAK operates commercial jets on 29 and GA on 27R and 27L with odd operations on 33.

FSX ATC always gives me 29 in small GA aircraft. There doesn't seem to be a way to override this. Landing at 29 is not only unrealistic (not as real as it gets :)) and also has a monstrous long taxi to parking.

When I asked for ILS27R, I got it, but then "circle to land runway 29".

Any suggestions on how I can land 27R? Should I just go for it and see if they yell at me?

Aside: When I was learning to fly in OAK, back in the 1980/90s, if you parked out at the "old tees", you could request to make a low approach 27R, landing 33. I experienced this with my instructor flying the plane. I don't know if they still do it, nor am I sure I would have ever tried it.

Tnx,

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

At most ATC will tell you to go around, but you can ignore them. No FAA to file a complaint against you in the sim! ;) The joy of using FSX is you're at the controls and can use the sim as you like, so go ahead and land on the runway anyway.

The other way to get the correct runway usage would be to maybe install a freeware scenery for Oakland or create and edit the scenery itself using ADE, which is a long process but is worth a shot if you're up for learning how to create/edit airport scenery files in FSX.

Any suggestions on how I can land 27R? Should I just go for it and see if they yell at me?

Tnx,

Ed

In my meager experience, I have run afoul of ATC many times in many ways. Whether or not they "yell at you" differs between airports.

If you have contacted ATC and gotten a clearance or an instruction, the severity of what happens when you disobey is what differs.

Sometimes they will call you on the radio and say " [your call sign], you are not cleared to land- exit the runway!" And that will be the end of it. However, other places, for example Juneau Alaska (PAJN) will send ground vehicles out on to the runway for you to crash into.

The airport in Galveston Texas will immediately send a programmed aircraft to land in the opposite direction of you. I have seen several others that will pull a so called "AI" plane into position on the runway you are sneaking on to, and it will be taking off while you are landing. (same direction) You land on top of it.

Depending on your realism settings you can blow right through all of that if you want.

The fact that you even asked the question tells me you are the sort that prefers to do things right (when you can )

Thus, I believe the answer for you is - if you already know you are going to do as you please, best not to contact ATC at all. That reduces most of the interference. It won't help you at Juneau though. Those baggage buggies and forklifts will still come after your ass.

Oakland Airport KOAK operates commercial jets on 29 and GA on 27R and 27L with odd operations on 33.

FSX ATC always gives me 29 in small GA aircraft. There doesn't seem to be a way to override this. Landing at 29 is not only unrealistic (not as real as it gets :)) and also has a monstrous long taxi to parking.

Aside: When I was learning to fly in OAK, back in the 1980/90s, if you parked out at the "old tees", you could request to make a low approach 27R, landing 33. I experienced this with my instructor flying the plane. I don't know if they still do it, nor am I sure I would have ever tried it.

Tnx,

Ed

Change the wind direction, and follow the subsequent recommendation. You DO have a weather engine?