Missing File Error -- What the Heck?

I'm not sure what to make of this, because it just suddenly appeared, and I've never seen it before.

MSFS Missing File Error Notice.jpg

When I first open it up, it always asks if I want to install the Package dependency installer, and I always tell it no. After that, it always used to let me in. Now, it displays the "Package Installer" message, a second time, and then displays the above message pictured.

To the best of my knowledge, I haven't moved the .exe file. I can't even gain permission to access the folder that it resides in, so how could I have moved it?

Any suggestions as to what to do next? Obviously, the sim won't start, if it thinks this file is missing.

Thank you.

I think it is looking for this path?

Program Files (x86) instead of Program Files.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

It doesn’t sound good. It’s as if the installation has been corrupted or deleted.I think the first think to try is go into the app settings & try a repair..

Press the Start button & start typing Microsoft flight... so the sim comes up in the list but don’t actually click it. To the right you will see “app settings” click that & find “repair”

It may not fixit but worth a try.

It appears you may not be the only one this has happened to. This isn’t exactly the same error, but may help...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_store/file-system-error-2015294512/358dcde7-22d7-4b9f-b1e1-e0e02fcdc83d

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I'm not sure what to make of this, because it just suddenly appeared, and I've never seen it before.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]226391[/ATTACH]

When I first open it up, it always asks if I want to install the Package dependency installer, and I always tell it no. After that, it always used to let me in. Now, it displays the "Package Installer" message, a second time, and then displays the above message pictured.

To the best of my knowledge, I haven't moved the .exe file. I can't even gain permission to access the folder that it resides in, so how could I have moved it?

Any suggestions as to what to do next? Obviously, the sim won't start, if it thinks this file is missing.

Thank you.

OMG, I had the exact same thing happen about 3 days ago. I hope there is an easy work around for it and hope someone can tell it to you. I got frustrated to the point of a COMPLETE computer/system wipe. It worked but I don’t wish that on anyone. Hopefully someone can get you a good answer.

Press the Start button & start typing Microsoft flight... so the sim comes up in the list but don’t actually click it. To the right you will see “app settings” click that & find “repair”

It may not fixit but worth a try.

Well thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately though, I tried the repair option, but it didn't work.

I will look more closely at the link you supplied in your reply, and comment further on that later.

Hi Steve, well I tried the link advice by opening up the settings, and going into the command prompt (white letters on a black background), and wound up with an error where I could not go any further:

Command Prompt error 87.jpg

So now I'm wondering if my only solution is to uninstall and reinstall the whole simulator?

And my question is, I bought it from the main Microsoft store, not Steam. I know Steam has easy prompts for uninstall and re-install. I'm not sure how the MS Store works. If I uninstall it, is there an option to reinstall? Or I lose it and have to work hard to prove I had purchased it?

OMG, I had the exact same thing happen about 3 days ago. I hope there is an easy work around for it and hope someone can tell it to you. I got frustrated to the point of a COMPLETE computer/system wipe. It worked but I don’t wish that on anyone. Hopefully someone can get you a good answer.

Hmm... somehow I missed seeing your post until this morning. Wow! A full computer system/wipe?!!! Noooo! I refuse to do all that.

I hate to say it, but what I think I'm going to wind up doing is purchasing the whole thing again on Steam, as I think their installation procedure may be a lot simpler, and will actually work. I personally don't trust the Microsoft Store. Too many weird "pending" & "pause" hang-ups, that tell me the MS Store just handles things way, way too strangely. And the fact that there's a gamer package, a digital package, and 3 simulator packages-- all separate DL's-- to me is just absolutely confusing, and therefore stupid.

There should be just one thing to download, and it should be called "THE SIMULATOR" -- and that's it! MS has made all this waaay too confusing.

It absolutely kills me to have to pay for the simulator twice, but at this point I really see no other solution.

The Steam version is exactly the same as the MS version(s), except you're buying it from Steam instead of MS. Once you've bought it from Steam you have to go MS to download and install it/them just as before. The Steam Verify Files option will only check the Steam app installation, not MSFS.

Sorry I can't be of more help than this, I bought the MS version too and luckily I haven't had this problem (yet).

On second thought, maybe this the GamingServices issue? Try this solution from the Microsoft forums:

Open RegEdit as an administrator and delete the following Keys:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Classes\Local Settings\MrtCache\C:%5CProgram Files%5CWindowsApps%5CMicrosoft.GamingServices_2.45.11001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe%5Cresources.pri]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Classes\Local Settings\MrtCache\C:%5CProgram Files%5CWindowsApps%5CMicrosoft.Gamingservices_2.45.11001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe%5Cresources.pri\1d6937194966bce]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServices]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesNet]

The version numbers may be different depending on what you have installed.

Restart your PC.

Once restarted open Microsoft Store find Gaming Services and install, it will now work.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The Steam version is exactly the same as the MS version(s), except you're buying it from Steam instead of MS. Once you've bought it from Steam you have to go MS to download and install it/them just as before. The Steam Verify Files option will only check the Steam app installation, not MSFS.

Ok, I'm glad you warned me before I dropped another $120 on the same thing.

I am in an endless "pending" circuit. The only solution I see is to take my computer to my tech, and have him install it for me. If he has to wipe my hard drive clean to do it, then so be it. Just, I don't know how to do any of that myself, and am too inherently lazy, aptitude-lacking, and easy-to-anger, to try.

I thank you for your information.

Sorry I edited my post while you were typing your reply, try the GamingServices fix before spending any money!

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Have you checked for updates in the MS Store app? There are regular updates for the Store app itself, as well as possible Gaming Service ones. You can also run the MS Store troubleshooter to find and fix some issues with dowloads.

On second thought, maybe this the GamingServices issue? Try this solution from the Microsoft forums:

Open RegEdit as an administrator and delete the following Keys:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Classes\Local Settings\MrtCache\C:%5CProgram Files%5CWindowsApps%5CMicrosoft.GamingServices_2.45.11001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe%5Cresources.pri]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Classes\Local Settings\MrtCache\C:%5CProgram Files%5CWindowsApps%5CMicrosoft.Gamingservices_2.45.11001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe%5Cresources.pri\1d6937194966bce]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServices]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesNet]

The version numbers may be different depending on what you have installed.

Restart your PC.

Once restarted open Microsoft Store find Gaming Services and install, it will now work.

Well, if this works, you are a life saver, I do dare say.

Now when you say, "delete the following keys"... do you mean the file paths with the backward facing slashes? Do I copy the text exactly keystrike for keystrike... everything that is in between the open-brackets and closed-brackets?

Are the % signs actual text to copy, or are those place-holders that I should exclude from the text?

Do I hit "Delete" between each command where you skipped a line, or list them all and then hit delete?

Needless to say, I'm a little clueless in this regard, but willing to give it the old college try, to the best of my abilities.

Thank you again, I'll let you know how it goes, after you maybe answer a few of my questions, so I'm sure I'm doing it correctly.

Have you checked for updates in the MS Store app? There are regular updates for the Store app itself, as well as possible Gaming Service ones. You can also run the MS Store troubleshooter to find and fix some issues with dowloads.

Oh okay. Thank you. I had not thought of this. I'm hoping those updates are fairly straightforward.

I have a big sledgehammer you can borrow, John! :rolleyes:

Cool! I might just need it. Except I don't have spare gaming computers just laying around. It may be a case of having to play "whack-an-update" instead of "whack-a-mole", as you have so stated in your signature line! LOL

Well, if this works, you are a life saver, I do dare say.

Now when you say, "delete the following keys"... do you mean the file paths with the backward facing slashes? Do I copy the text exactly keystrike for keystrike... everything that is in between the open-brackets and closed-brackets?

Are the % signs actual text to copy, or are those place-holders that I should exclude from the text?

Do I hit "Delete" between each command where you skipped a line, or list them all and then hit delete?

Needless to say, I'm a little clueless in this regard, but willing to give it the old college try, to the best of my abilities.

Thank you again, I'll let you know how it goes, after you maybe answer a few of my questions, so I'm sure I'm doing it correctly.

The sections in closed brackets are the file paths in Registry Editor, but if you're not sure about editing your registry you should leave it to your Tech guy.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

You can also run the MS Store troubleshooter to find and fix some issues with downloads.

I wasn't sure if I ever got the Microsoft Store Gamer app to update, but I did run the troubleshooter, and found this which I screenshotted below:

Damn it! I can't get the bloody screenshot to conform to the website's 1200 x 1600 limit, so I will just type out what it said word for word. Everything else has gone bloody wrong today... why shouldn't taking a simple picture go wrong as well?

----

Issues Found:

* Hanging or crashing apps-- Not fixed [followed by a red X]

Reset Hanging or crashing apps-- Completed

Potential Issues that were checked:

* Some security settings are missing or have been changed-- Issue not present

* Check for missing or corrupt files-- Issue not present

* Service registration is missing or corrupt-- Issue not present

* Microsoft Account Required-- Issue not present

* Temporary Internet files location has changed-- Issue not present

* User Account Control has been disabled-- Issue not present

Detection Details:

[lower case i] Service Status

Problem with BITS service: The requested service has already been started. System.Management.Automatioin.RemoteException.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. System. Management.Automation.RemoteException.

[lower case i] The same service status as above is repeated again word for word.

Page 2:

Publisher Details

Window Store Apps--

Trouble shoot problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working properly.

Package Version: 4.0

Publisher: Microsoft Windows

Window Store Apps--

Trouble shoot problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working properly.

Package Version: 4.0

Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Find and fix problems that may prevent background downloads from working.

Package Version: 3.5

Publisher: Microsoft Windows

Hi John, I hope you (or your tech guy) manage to sort it. I’m not a big fan of Steam myself & try to avoid it if poss, so I also bought MSFS from the MS Store. Can’t say I’ve ever had a problem with it though.

Assuming you do get MSFS back up and running, we don’t actually know what caused it in the first place do we? Hopefully it won’t happen again

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Hi John, I hope you (or your tech guy) manage to sort it.

Yes I currently have a phone message into him. He was out of the office for the day.

I’m not a big fan of Steam myself & try to avoid it if poss,

Interesting, as I've never had a problem with it and swear by its relatively trouble-free installation/un-installation interface. But different experiences for different folks help to form lasting opinions I suppose.

so I also bought MSFS from the MS Store. Can’t say I’ve ever had a problem with it though.

Well I guess you're lucky. I hadn't really had problems with it either, until now. Though before, I just noticed that progress bars don't really move... you have to trust that they are working.

Assuming you do get MSFS back up and running, we don’t actually know what caused it in the first place do we?

No, unfortunately we don't.

Hopefully it won’t happen again.

Regards

Steve

Yes, I hope not as well!

In case you're curious, I found a workable if not "feeling defeated" solution:

I simply purchased the cheapest version I could get-- the $59.99 version-- on the Steam store, and it took and DL'ed the initial 3gb file right away. The 80.90 gb file started around 2:15am my time, and was done by 9am. I have lost the hand drawn airports that came with the $120 Microsoft Store version I bought last July, but that's the least of my problems at this point. At least I got it to work again... though I am slightly frustrated I had to pay twice to get it to work.

What's more, to upgrade at this point to the deluxe premium version Steam wants to charge me and additional $80 something above and beyond the $60 I've already spent! So I'd have been better off paying $120 again for the D.P. version to begin with, but I wasn't sure it was going to work any better, so I went the cheap route just in case.

I'm actually amazed it worked. I thought Steam had to route itself through the Microsoft Store to do the download, and that I'd wind up in the same place as before.... but it didn't. It was able to download through it's own network.

I'm now also wondering if now that I have a brand new install at 80gb instead of the old MS install at 170-something gb, if the sim will run overall more efficiently or not. This will be interesting. Sorry this had to be the solution, but I was seriously banging my head against the wall trying to get that Gaming Services and Digital Downloads files to work... so the extra money spent I suppose was worth avoiding anymore aggravation than I've already been through.

Sorry you had to buy it again. I’m sure there would have been a simpler (& cheaper) option. It might have been a case of simply logging out & back in. Personally I probably would have wiped the pc & reinstalled everything, but I realise that’s a big job for anyone and not often recommended. At least you’ve got a flyable Sim again.

Regards

Steve

Sorry you had to buy it again. I’m sure there would have been a simpler (& cheaper) option. It might have been a case of simply logging out & back in. Personally I probably would have wiped the pc & reinstalled everything, but I realise that’s a big job for anyone and not often recommended. At least you’ve got a flyable Sim again.

Regards

Steve

Yes, it was not my first choice. It felt like throwing in the towel, waving the white flag, and basically giving up. But my tech never called back (he may be off this whole week), and try as I might with the HKEY edit deletes that were recommended, and logging out of my Microsoft account and coming back in, I was never able to get my Gaming App to do anything other than hang up.

With no other solution at hand, I guess you can say I was simply desperate to try anything. Buying it on Steam and hoping the download took, was my Hail Mary pass into the end zone, with 4th down and 15 yards to go, and 00:02 left on the clock in the 4th quarter. I don't know if you're too familiar with American Football, but that's about as desperate as it gets, and my wide receiver managed to catch the ball in the back corner of the end zone! That was basically my Steam Install.

It could have easily been a waste of another $60 that just led back to the MS Store, but surprisingly it worked on its own. I couldn't believe it.

So glad I didn't have to clear my whole hard drive and/or computer OS. That would not have been worth it. To me the $60 spent is peace of mind knowing I didn't have to do all that.

Thank you for trying to help me out. I do appreciate that.