Hi, even if I don't have too many add-ons in my Community folder (about 20 count as 'many'?), and have never had problems with it, I've just started using MS Addons Linker (as advised in this forum), just in case.

I'd much appreciate if someone could let me know:

1) Since I don't have any files anymore in the Community folder (only links instead), do I still need to disable as many as possible for a particular flight in order to increase loading speed?

2) For the same reason (no files, only links), do I still need to disable all of them before a MSFS update in order to prevent possible problems?

Thanks in advance, best regards.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Regardless the Mods are in the Community folder or not the sims loading time will remain the same as it's still loading the sceney.

The only difference is it's pulling the data from the newly created folder(s) its linked to. So I suppose disabling scenery to increase loading time would be necessary deepending on how much scenery you have.

Edited by Garciamk3g

Phanteks Eclipse P400A, Asus Prime Z490-A, Intel i7 10700k, Nactua U12A cooler, 64GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia EVGA RTX 3060 12GB XC Black Gaming, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NvMe, 1TB WD SSD, 2TB WD SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 650W 80+ Gold Thermatake ToughPower GF1 Fully Modular PSU.

I would say:

1) Yes, to speed up load time you would still need to disable addons in Addon Linker. A simple test is to activate all your addons in Addon Linker and start MSFS. Time it. Then uncheck all addons, start MSFS and time it. I believe you will see a difference.

2) For me, rather than uncheck individual items in Addon Link. I kept them just the way I wanted them but I went over to my Community folder, renamed it to HOLDCommunity and created a new blank Community folder. Did my update, then deleted the blank Community folder and renamed the HOLDCommunity back to Community. Worked for me. :)

OK, question #1 clarified, thanks for all replies.

As for question #2, it's often said that you need to have your Community folder empty before any update, in order to avoid possible problems. What if you have only links (no files) in the Community folder? Would it make a difference?

If it wouldn't, it would imply you need to know beforehand if an update is going to be downloaded on your next MSFS launch, in order to take preventive action. How can you know that? Just for the announcements by MS?

I expected MS Addons Linker to get you rid of this problem...

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

When your using Addon Linker and move the Addons to a different location and create a link in your Community folder for those Addons, you're practically creating a shortcut telling the sim where to look to load the Addon's ....in short the Addons are no longer in your Community folder.

Anything that affects the community folder via update will not affect the Addons because technically the community folder is empty. The actual Folder structure for the Addons you had are elsewhere therefore nothing will be affected.

Edited by Garciamk3g

Phanteks Eclipse P400A, Asus Prime Z490-A, Intel i7 10700k, Nactua U12A cooler, 64GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia EVGA RTX 3060 12GB XC Black Gaming, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NvMe, 1TB WD SSD, 2TB WD SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 650W 80+ Gold Thermatake ToughPower GF1 Fully Modular PSU.

My understanding of this is that nothing in the Community folder should be any problem during the update. MSFS should only be looking in the Official folder or off in internal places. But if something in the Community folder is broken by the changes then some planes or scenery or whatever will not be working right After the update. My recent experience was that the G1000 glass instruments from Working Title were broken by sim update IV. I removed them and it ran with the default G1000. Then I went and updated from the Working Title to the newer version - which worked just fine.

My understanding of this is that nothing in the Community folder should be any problem during the update. MSFS should only be looking in the Official folder or off in internal places. But if something in the Community folder is broken by the changes then some planes or scenery or whatever will not be working right After the update. My recent experience was that the G1000 glass instruments from Working Title were broken by sim update IV. I removed them and it ran with the default G1000. Then I went and updated from the Working Title to the newer version - which worked just fine.

I see we all approach the question in similar ways, but I feel nobody comes out with a final, positive answer.

I understand you can have 3rd party add-ons in your Community folder, which can become obsolete after a MSFS update. That's simply obvious, and then it will be up to you looking for updated versions of those add-ons. But:

1) What I don't realize so far is why it is said to be crucial to have your Community folder empty before any update, in order to prevent potential problems. The "before" is what has me confused.

2) And even accepting that, I'd like to know: if you have only links in the Community folder (no files), will it count as an "empty folder" for an eventual update?

I see we all approach the question in similar ways, but I feel nobody comes out with a final, positive answer.

I understand you can have 3rd party add-ons in your Community folder, which can become obsolete after a MSFS update. That's simply obvious, and then it will be up to you looking for updated versions of those add-ons. But:

1) What I don't realize so far is why it is said to be crucial to have your Community folder empty before any update, in order to prevent potential problems. The "before" is what has me confused.

2) And even accepting that, I'd like to know: if you have only links in the Community folder (no files), will it count as an "empty folder" for an eventual update?

I can somewhat answer question #1 from my own experience. I have yet to empty/clean out/move ANYTHING in my Community folder before an update. To date, has not made a difference.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I can somewhat answer question #1 from my own experience. I have yet to empty/clean out/move ANYTHING in my Community folder before an update. To date, has not made a difference.

Same here.

Consequently, I'm starting to think all this hassle of moving or linking files is a nonsense.

Thanks anyway.

I, also, have never moved anything out of the community folder before an update. I have had no issues with the items installed there.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

I would say:

1) Yes, to speed up load time you would still need to disable addons in Addon Linker. A simple test is to activate all your addons in Addon Linker and start MSFS. Time it. Then uncheck all addons, start MSFS and time it. I believe you will see a difference.

2) For me, rather than uncheck individual items in Addon Link. I kept them just the way I wanted them but I went over to my Community folder, renamed it to HOLDCommunity and created a new blank Community folder. Did my update, then deleted the blank Community folder and renamed the HOLDCommunity back to Community. Worked for me. :)

Rather than checking/unchecking every time I change flights I use the Presets function, creating a specific set of addons for whatever I want to do. It's then easy to make minor changes to suit a particular flight e.g. I'm currently flying a tour of European Capitals in the CJ4 and all I do is change any scenery/airports - the amended preset can be saved by using the icon on the right at the bottom of the left hand panel. I also like to fly locally VFR so have another preset for that.