I mentioned this here a few weeks back that I thought OpenXR is a problem for VR in MSFS, now it looks like the big guns have come round to my way of thinking and about bloody time!!!!!!! They need to look at windows mixed reality portal too!!

"The patch introduces a number of changes to navigation, weather, and planes, and of course makes a number of bug fixes to the game and its editors. There's also a warning that VR users may experience crashes when exiting VR mode: Developers aren't completely certain why but suspect that OpenXR preview runtime v106 might play a role, so if you run into the problem, revert to the v105 runtime and see what that does for you. The full patch notes are up at"

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Daspinall, do you mind if I pick your brain about using vr oculus quest 2 and msfs2020?

So I just picked up an oculus quest 2 to use in msfs2020. I won't bore you with all the particulars but my computer is definitely up to speed as it's brand new and I made sure to buy it specifically for Microsoft light simulator. I normally fly with all the Logitech sacks equipment on a 65" curve TV, But I have all the particulars like the yoke petals throttle instrument panel auto pilot panel, 6 logitech 3" flight screens (just like a 6 pack in my Cessna 172, also a Garmin GNS530. So I'm not completely an idiot. I know how to fly as I fly A Cessna 172 now in real life, Plus I'm one of the originals where I even pre ordered msfs2020 And have been using it since day 1. Normally not using VR everything works great. I have an occasional Issue but nothing like what other people are reporting so I'm one of the lucky ones. I will spend hours flying I love it.

So here's my problem, I got the oculus quest 2, But didn't spend the $90 for the name brand link cord, Went on to Amazon and got an aftermarket $30 link chord that says it's made for the oculus quest 2. My problem is if freezes up, When I look to the left or right it's a black screen and then finally fills in but that's only when I'm able to actually fly. Last night I spent an hour and a 1/2 just getting a 20 minute flight.. When it does work it's amazing I actually feel like I'm in my plane so I'm saving a lot of money by not constantly refuelling my real plane lol. My question is what am I doing wrong why is it not running smooth? I played with the vr settings in Microsoft flight simulator, I have it plugged in to the USB 3.0 port. But even that sometimes will just disconnect and reconnect. I was in the middle of a flight and it just disconnected from the computer and within a second it reconnected but I had to of course hit all the different things to get it back into the simulator and by that time if I'm not on autopilot it's probably going to crash plane lol.

I have noticed when I click out of VR it does crash the whole program also so I figured I just won't click out of it.

But can you give me some tips and tricks on what settings I should have the VR on in Microsoft lights simulator and is there anything else I should be doing in the actual oculus.

So I note I have the oculus quest 2, the 64 GB one not the 256 GB one. Did not know if that makes a difference as I am only using it for msfs2020.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give me I'm really hoping that you have some good suggestions as when it did work it was wonderful

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Hi Nick, what’s it like if you use the Quest 2 without a cable at all? You can now use the “air link” (see settings/experimental features within the Q2)

Might be worth trying. It works best if you’re near your router though & your pc is connected via an Ethernet cable.

What I will suggest though... go into flight sim”s graphics settings page (PC / non-VR) and reduce everything to the minimums (or at least low)

You will find that VR will work much better. Also keep rendering down to no more than 100 (70 or 80 should be good) as this is a huge FPS killer.

Although I too have just bought a Quest 2, I use a Reverb G2 which works brilliantly.. but I still keep my non-vr settings on low etc

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

As I said I was brand new to the whole VRI did not know that I can do it wirelessly to my computer without the link cord. You are a genius my friend and my new personal hero lol. I do have my computer hooked up with an ethernet cord and and My business is doing electrical contracting and all the voltage work including home networks so I will simply add a wireless access point to my home network in my Home Office. I tell people all the time never add a Wi-Fi extender that they're craft but an access point is really a hard wire from your router to an access point That's on the other side of the house that will send out a Wi-Fi signal.

Sorry for the little Wi-Fi home network lesson lol, But being that is my business I Ran network wires everywhere so I definitely have 2 or 3 in my Home Office that are still available as I ran 4 network wires per Room like a mad man. I know it's a little excessive.

I cannot wait to get home today and Try to connect it to my computer wirelessly. Some of my settings are off and higher than what you suggested so I'll definitely try that too.

I am 41 years old and I feel like a kid on Christmas and I can't wait to get home, wake up Christmas morning lol and Try these settings and wirelessly because when it did work it truly was amazing. I was looking all around including even the back seed and for a moment i panicked because I Did not see my 13 year old daughter sitting in the back seat and figured maybe I forgot her at the airport lol.

This next part might seem really stupid and/or funny but I put a fan head height blowing so when I stick my head out the VR window of the plane I have a fan blowing on me :) lol It's actually kind of cool and refreshing but to look all around inside and out of the plane and just fly in general. The only thing I don't like is when I go to hit the controls on my multi panel or garmin 530 I really have to have muscle memory on exactly what button and where they are. But I guess that's good because it really trains you to be a better pilot but when I say it felt like I was in my own sesna flying out of Flagler airport here in Florida, It really felt that way. Thank you for all your help I will definitely report back and let you know how it goes

Not a problem. I too get very excited when it comes to VR & flight sim etc LOL

I believe “air link” was only added to the Quest 2 recently. There are plenty of YouTube videos about it, like this one...

One thing to mention.. the Q2 needs to be on 5ghz rather than 2.4ghz (but I’m sure you’ll have already guessed that)

You’ll have noticed that when you add VR to MSFS, you get two graphics settings pages... VR and PC.

It’s the PC settings that you want to reduce completely.

By the way, I too have a multipanel and I have three of the 3” Saitek panels (plus three 43” TV’s!)

see

They all became semi-obsolete when I got my VR headset LOL

They’re still on, only I can’t see them. Like you I try to use the multipanel still by touch, but I do occasionally cheat & lift the headset up slightly.

Happy flying :)

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Awesome no I wasn't sure which Megahertz to put him on yet the 5 or the 2.4 so thank you that save me some time.

I do very much appreciate you taking the time in responding and answering my questions you probably have way better things to do so I just want to let you know how much I appreciate it and if you have any questions on electrical, surround sounds, home Wi-Fi networks or home networks in general, smart homes like control 4 or URC, Please don't hesitate to ask I'll be glad to help out in any way I can. When I get home and make those changes I will let you know how it flies :)

Hey Steve,

You where right!!! No cable was the trick and thw setting you recommended. It all worked great, I am flying and loving it. I was using the vr with msfs2020 until 1 am last night. My wife was like "are you ever coming to bed or do I just give up" . I almost told her to give up until I turned around and took off the head set... well I won't say anything else but , I went right to bed [emoji6].

But I wanted to thank you for all your great advice and let you know the oculus quest 2 is working like a champ and it is everything I wanted it to be and more.

So thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Safe [emoji3575]flights

Nick

Hi Nick, you’re welcome! Glad it all worked for you. Hope you didn’t get into too much trouble for staying up late 😀

Happy flying!

Regards

Steve

g7rta you have quest 2 now, wow what you use it for, surly not for flight sim.... although its great for other games......

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

To be honest I haven’t really used it much yet LOL

It is lighter than the original Quest and the increase in speed in very noticeable. It’s so much quicker.

I do intend to try it again with MSFS using airlink.. but they do say the G2 is still better.

I should’nt really have bought the Quest 2 but I love VR headsets 😀

Regards

Steve

I tried, not much improvement on the resolution still unreadable dials, but hey it's great for everything else..... at this stage in the quest 2 development Virtual Desktop rules over airlink, that could change as development progresses... Edited by daspinall

I will te you that basically all I am using now is the quest 2 for msfs2020. It is truly amazing, and now with your help I am using the air like with no studder at all and no problems at all. I feel like I am in my own 172!!! They have fixed just about all the problems!!

• 2 weeks later...