AI aircraft speed question

ColR1948

Something that I have always wondered about, whenever I view an AI aircraft in flight and press Ctrl Z the KIAS is always 0.0

Now if I view an aircraft I'm flying in spot view the KIAS shows up.

I have Traffic View Board installed and I can see the AI aircraft speed in that but just wondered if there was a tweak to enable it with Ctrl Z

Col.

I'm sure I've noticed the same thing but when I tried to recreate it, I got AI airspeed in Shift+Z. It shows correctly with Ctrl+W and through a double-click in Traffic Tools Explorer.

I'm certain though...

Is there a setting that causes Shift+Z to show the user plane's speed rather than AI? For AI does Shift+Z still show cruise altitude? If you're cruising, do you see a speed if you Ctrl+W to en route AI?

1.jpg

3.jpg

Were you flying both those aircraft and just went to spot view?

Have you got Traffic View Board installed and using that as the follow aircraft, I'm thinking that might be my problem because the KIAS is the speed of the invisible follow aircraft not the speed of the ai in the view?

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

No -- they're both AI, hence the orange info at the top of either window.

I don't have Traffic View Board but it looks as though it just reports what's in FS9's own environment. That's what had me wondering if there's some obscure variable that causes Shift+Z to show the player's speed even when the camera is showing AI. I thought perhaps if Traffic View Board is reporting correct info from FS9 then there must be something suppressing it in the Shift+Z information.

For AI, the Shift+Z text should be a different colour (orange in my case) to player information (red for me).

If the invisible chase plane was at 0 kias then you'd see the AI do a fly by, like a tower view. If it's following then it should have the same speed as the AI.

Has your Shift+Z always shown 0 kias for AI in cruise?

Here's me doing 96 kias in the Cessna (red text for Shift+Z) and then the focus switched to the AI Piper in the popup view doing 88 kias (orange text).

me.jpg

ai.jpg

Yes it has always shown KIAS 0.0 and in red text, yellow text if I am flying myself.

In Traffic View Board it has a TV like screen with all the info displayed like from and to, airline name, aircraft type and height and direction plus the speed, but like I said I can easily see that but it has always puzzled me why it never shows with Ctrl Z

Also with TVB you can follow the AI the whole journey and listen to ATC talking to it.

Uhh... altitude's right, airspeed's wrong. Also, I was unaware that it's possible to change the colour of the Shift+Z text.

Just to confirm that the text relates entirely to the AI, can you set the following:

In fs9.cfg and under the section [AContain],

ShowLabels=1

ShowLabelAltitude=1

ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=1

ShowLabelAirspeed=1

Setting any other labels to 0 will clean things up a bit

LabelDelay=1000 will give 1 second per item

They may or may not already be there. That ought to turn floating labels on for the AI and cycle between the 3 data. I think the altitude label is the only one that can be toggled from within FS2004, the others have to be done in fs9.cfg

On a tangent, what's the A400 and is that your own repaint? I'm trying to fill my FS9 with more cargo flights and don't have a good A400.

I just thought of something else: do you still see 0 kias if you disable TVB and just use Ctrl+W to cycle the popup chase view to a cruising AI?

Edited by defaid

The A400M is the Wilco model, I tweaked it to fly as an AI, I also took out the VC and yes it is my own repaint I've done many.

Most of my paints a fictional, just something I like to do, a lot don't like them because they are not real airlines.

I have turned the labels off I don't like them to be honest but never thought to see if the speed one would register, I also think the speed still shows as 0.0 without TVB but I'm not in the sim right now so will look.

Yes you are right if I don't use Traffic View board and watch the AI the speed shows up in yellow, I tend to only watch with TVB because after a while the sim drops the AI and flirts you back to the ground where as TVB follows it the whole journey if required.

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

Col, I was just wondering why you use the Wilco model for ai. There is a terrific ai specific model (and indeed models) over at the MAIW file library.

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-hangar/file-library/download/7-aircraft-models-fs9/259-maiw-nbai-a400m-atlas

I'm pretty sure they have corresponding paint kits up there too.

--DR

To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Doug not spoke in a while, I have a few of their models never thought of looking there for an A400M, they do great models i'll take a look thanks.

I'm about to do another fictional but it's on an aardvark 737.

Col.

Now it is working! I opened the view with Traffic Tool Box first, viewed the aircraft then opened TVB, pressed Ctrl Z and the yellow text came up with the speed at 0, then it started to taxi and the speed updated, let it fly and still there, yellow text with speed.

KIAS Show.jpg

Good to know it's sorted. :)

I was beginning to suspect from the text colour that TVB was controlling the Shift+Z display and that while it was getting good data from FS9, it was failing to send it back correctly to Shift+Z.