Simulator-- Freeze and CTD (codes & specs included)

Hi Folks,

I hardly ever do cross country airliner flights w/ autopilot, but when I do, it sure would be nice to line up for landing w/o the above in the title happening. How frustrating that after all that time, I will never know how the landing would have turned out.

A quick flight description: KSFO -- KJFK. Took 5.5 hours (or so), I was not flying by the book, per say, but had set the autopilot. Was just approaching Kennedy, having passed Liberty Airport, double layer of low clouds (so a fairly complex sky), but medium settings (nothing outrageous), when the sim paused and crashed.

Computer Specs description (not sure which is important):

Windows 10, 64-bit

CPU-- Intel Core i7 8700, @3.2 GHz 6-core

GPU-- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 3 GB

Memory Size, 3 GB (192-bit)

Memory Type, 128Mx32 GDDR5 @6 pcs

Engine Clock, 1506 MHz (Base)/ 1708 MHz (Boost)

Memory Clock, 4004 MHz (Gbps)

DirectX, DX 12

(I have not actively tried to overclock the system, it's also been awhile since I've messed around in the settings of the NVIDIA dashboard. I figure, if I don't know what I'm doing, the less I touch, the better).

12 GB of RAM, DDR 4

The "Event Viewer" Codes:

Error Code (Event 1000-- APPLICATION ERROR):

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60a521f7

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.964, time stamp: 0x812662a7

Exception code: 0x80000003

Fault offset: 0x00000000000c9142

Faulting process id: 0x5658

Faulting application start time: 0x01d751807742fef9

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.16.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: e1021386-8c36-4967-8a99-7beddc2f044c

Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.16.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Warning Code (EVENT 2004-- Resource-Exhaustion-Detector):

Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: FlightSimulator.exe (22104) consumed 28,360,413,184 bytes, MoUsoCoreWorker.exe (13960) consumed 1,674,813,440 bytes, and explorer.exe (2392) consumed 996,098,048 bytes.

In regards to the warning code...

1) Is a "Low Virtual Memory Condition" the same as an "Out of Memory" error (OOM), or it's different?

2) Is virtual memory the same as RAM, or it's different?

3) What exactly went wrong, and was this an issue of real weather near an urban location (NY), combined with the previous 5 hours of travel from SF?

4) Would either turning my settings down, or flying under clear skies have made any difference? Or after a 5+ hour flight, this was bound to happen no matter what?

5) Are my computer specs weak for the sim or satisfactory?

Thank you for your time

Edited by b3burner
to bold the .exe files in the warning code

MoUsoCoreWorker.exe is part of the Windows Update process. Perhaps your system was updating at precisely the wrong time.

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

It's an SSD, it's a 1 TB drive, though it says it's capacity is 930 GB. 464 GB of 930 GB is said to be free.

And thank you for the links. I haven't read them yet, I wanted to reply to you first.

EDIT/ADDENDUM: Ahh hah! So that's what virtual memory is! Those links really tell a lot. I've seen file allocation menus before in my old Windows 7 & Vista days, but never really knew what they meant, or how to use them. Sounds like they need to be altered carefully, but that they could and will most likely help my system. Thanks again for sharing.

Edited by b3burner
have read the links and wanted to respond

MoUsoCoreWorker.exe is part of the Windows Update process. Perhaps your system was updating at precisely the wrong time.

Just my darn luck if that's the case. That's something I would have never thought of. I'm glad you read the code notes, and knew what that meant. I had never heard of that .exe file before. It would be nice if the solution is that easy.

I can only imagine that with only 12GB of RAM how much memory your computer is already using up running flight simulator 2020. I'D Upgrade to16GB But 32GB would be best.

I'm Currently Running 64GB RAM and the sim ranges between 16GB to 20GB Memory Usage depending the area I'm flying in.

Edited by Garciamk3g

Phanteks Eclipse P400A, Asus Prime Z490-A, Intel i7 10700k, Nactua U12A cooler, 64GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia EVGA RTX 3060 12GB XC Black Gaming, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NvMe, 1TB WD SSD, 2TB WD SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 650W 80+ Gold Thermatake ToughPower GF1 Fully Modular PSU.

I can only imagine that with only 12GB of RAM how much memory your computer is already using up running flight simulator 2020. I'D Upgrade to16GB But 32GB would be best.

I'm Currently Running 64GB RAM and the sim ranges between 16GB to 20GB Memory Usage depending the area I'm flying in.

Thank you for your input. I had no idea 12 GB was considered that small, and that the sim was that memory intensive.

I thought it only used a limited number of scenery tiles at a time-- for the area I'm flying in-- and then when I go to the next area, it drops the old stuff I've already passed, and then gets the new stuff.

Therefore, I thought that alone kept memory allocation relatively low. Well, I guess I'm wrong then.

Thank you for clearing that up. I think additional RAM sticks can be added to a computer... right? Is that considered expensive to do, or has RAM memory gotten relatively cheap these days?

Thank you for your input. I had no idea 12 GB was considered that small, and that the sim was that memory intensive.

I thought it only used a limited number of scenery tiles at a time-- for the area I'm flying in-- and then when I go to the next area, it drops the old stuff I've already passed, and then gets the new stuff.

Therefore, I thought that alone kept memory allocation relatively low. Well, I guess I'm wrong then.

Thank you for clearing that up. I think additional RAM sticks can be added to a computer... right? Is that considered expensive to do, or has RAM memory gotten relatively cheap these days?

Lookup your Motherboards Make and Model to determine wich Ram sticks will work and what Configuration it supports.

For Example: I currently have an Asus Prime Z490-A wich has 4 Slots, wich supports the following Configuration (4X8GB=32GB) (4X16GB=64GB) (4x32GB=128GB)

Yours can be different so search your board and determine the supported memory type and best config for optimal performance.

NOTE: 16GB is Good but 32GB is Ideal so if you can bring it up to 32GB that would give you more then enough.

Edited by Garciamk3g

Phanteks Eclipse P400A, Asus Prime Z490-A, Intel i7 10700k, Nactua U12A cooler, 64GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia EVGA RTX 3060 12GB XC Black Gaming, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NvMe, 1TB WD SSD, 2TB WD SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 650W 80+ Gold Thermatake ToughPower GF1 Fully Modular PSU.

Thank you for your input. I had no idea 12 GB was considered that small, and that the sim was that memory intensive. Therefore, I thought that alone kept memory allocation relatively low. Well, I guess I'm wrong then.

Depends Where you Fly, Me I'd rather have more then enough then to little picture below will show you How much memory I'm Using up out of the 64GB Flying in Alaska, and Little NavMap Open in the background Out of 64GB and MSFS,LNM, and some light programs running in the Background I'm Using about 24GB with about 39.8GB Available.

Once the Sim is Closed Memory Usage goes down to about 4GB

re.jpg

Edited by Garciamk3g

In addition to the good advice above, my system is roughly the same as yours except I now have 32gb ram instead of the original 16gb.

As a result, I haven't noticed an increase in performance or a great deal in memory usage, but I could be missing something to be honest!

If you really want to upgrade your system this year, you may have more luck buying a complete gaming PC rather than individual components such as the GPU.

On the bright side, like me, you may have found that your system's limit running MSFS is 5.5 hours - I've done a 4.5 hour flight no problem but I wouldn't push my luck further than that!

I'm currently doing a couple of 1-2 hour flights each day and that's enough for me at the moment.

If I want to do a UK only flight, a prop or turboprop will take 1 or 2 hours to cover the distance. If I want to go from the UK to the Mediterranean, the CJ4 or Longitude will take 2 or 3 hours to cover the distance. Horses For Courses, as they say.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Depends Where you Fly, Me I'd rather have more then enough then to little picture below will show you How much memory I'm Using up out of the 64GB Flying in Alaska, and Little NavMap Open in the background Out of 64GB and MSFS,LNM, and some light programs running in the Background I'm Using about 24GB with about 39.8GB Available.

Once the Sim is Closed Memory Usage goes down to about 4GB

Hi, and thank you for the Task Manager Chart/window, showing where I can see memory allocation in my computer. I knew that information was somewhere... I just couldn't remember exactly where.

In addition to the good advice above, my system is roughly the same as yours except I now have 32gb ram instead of the original 16gb.

Ok I see. That's quite a bit more.

As a result, I haven't noticed an increase in performance or a great deal in memory usage, but I could be missing something to be honest!

That's a bit of a surprise to me. I'd figure you'd notice something.

If you really want to upgrade your system this year, you may have more luck buying a complete gaming PC rather than individual components such as the GPU.

Really? Not even just RAM sticks? Okay, something to consider.

On the bright side, like me, you may have found that your system's limit running MSFS is 5.5 hours

Okay, I see. So it's about each person's computer having its own unique "time limit" in the sim, before it goes down. So I'm good for almost making it across the U.S., if I aim for New Jersey's Liberty Airport, instead of New York's JFK.

I've done a 4.5 hour flight no problem but I wouldn't push my luck further than that!

Really now? So for you does it start with an increase in the number of stutters and freezes? That's what happened to me as things got closer to the end.

I'm currently doing a couple of 1-2 hour flights each day and that's enough for me at the moment.

That's more what I typically do, with lower and slower aircraft. As I had said in my original post, it's nice to do an airliner on auto-pilot once in awhile, but I will probably have to pick less distant city pairs from now on. Thank you for your advice.

Edited by b3burner