Long Timers

andyjohnston

A thought occurred to me this evening, how many others are here who have been around a long time?

Nels obviously.

But I've been here long enough I remember before the site had the current software, probably started around 1997/1998ish.

Who else?

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

As for me, I'm barely breeched yet. My first flight sim was Flight Unlimited 3 in 2008 so I was late to Flightsim.com too. I've only ever known the current appearance.

I've had FS9, P3dv4 and X-Plane 10 since then but have only retained FU3 and FS9.

We had Flight Simulator (Sublogic) for the Apple II way back in 79, so I guess I go back a bit.

W33

X-Plane 11, P3D. 32GB RAM, i7 8700k, 1080Ti, Oculus Rift, 1TB SSD

I've been around MS Flight Simulator since FS2 in 1984. I can't remember when I first came here but it was a long time ago.
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Been in flight sim since about 1984. I don't know how long I have been here, but it was sometime around 2000. I don't make a lot of comments, and was a real busy guy when I was working. I notice I uploaded a file in 2004 (search on polyb to find it). Now I am working on a large freebee flightsim database thing for FSX based in the US and Canada. When I get the database for msfs 2020 it will work as well...

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get a computer until 2003, and at that it was a Dell Latitude C600 laptop which often times made me late to work since I was on it for hours on end. LOL

Back in ~2006 when I had a desktop, I acquired the FS2004 disks from my brother and I was hooked. I then latter became a member here. Prior to all this I played the earlier versions of Flight Simulator on other people's computer and longed to have a computer of my own but could never afford it.

In 1997 I was trying to hack the school At Ease computer system on the Macintosh computers. LOL I still have the At Ease manual somewhere here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Ease

https://jurassicsystems.com/

https://jurassicsystems.com/about

Edit-

NSFW LOL

https://app.box.com/s/d771rgbvwnz2f1wgi4lg8bfnj1itqogt

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

• 2 weeks later...

The very first "flight simulator" I played was Star Fox on Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). I was totally blown away by the graphics and played every day after school. Then I learned about a game called Pilot wings on SNES, this was a bit more realistic because it involved taking off and landing, it it was completely 3D, which was crazy for 16bit SNES system.

In a video game section, I found a PC game called Pro Pilot and I bought it and tried it out. It was awesome but it was limited to United States only but it was an amazing sim. Here I figured out how to navigate using VOR and NDB and also figured out ISL by trial and error. There was a book, manual that came with the game which I still own today.

Then a friend in school introduced me to FS98 sometime in 1988 and I was like holy crap you can fly around the world!!!

So I started flight simming since early 1999 and discovered this site around the same time. I had a user name but I lost its password as I was away from simming because FS2000 requierd some super computer.

Then I came back to flightsimmming and have been using it ever since.

Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)

Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

I told my story several times in this and the other Forum. In brief, someone gave me a copy of MS FS ver. 1 in 1984, and then I got version 2, (which I played on a NYC government PC in my office). and it was off to the FS races. Later purchased my own PC. Bought Flight Unlimited, and IFly after that, and it was off to the flight sim races. Purchased every edition of MS FS (except FS95 which was a turkey).

Now I'm trying to fly with MS2020 - should get a new upgraded gaming PC. But I probably do not have that many more years 'till MS fixes all the remaining bugs in 2020...

I started my own flightsim journey on the Tandy-TRS80 with "Sublogic FS1"

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80

- https://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/fs1.htm

My 1st PC-based flightsim was "Sublogic Jet V1":

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_(video_game)

- https://archive.org/details/msdos_Jet_1985

I have flown all "Microsoft Flightsimulator" ™ version including MSFS FSX and

many military (helicopter / jet) sims over the last 4 decades too.

But.. I only joined Flightsim.com around 2015 to upload and share my own flightsim tutorials:

- https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=86570287

And I hope to keep coming back here for a very long time, since flightsim.com - to me personally - is an 1-of-a-kind, unique and very passionate community, where I can still (virtually) meet and engage with like-wise passionate aviation/flightsimulation loving individuals from around the entire planet.

I think I'm one of the oldest members, I have lots of interest so I don't appear often... the most I've posted has been since FS2020 came out.... now it works like a dream you may not see much of me again ha..... Although I do like posting screenshots....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

think I'm one of the oldest members

That well could be, but keep in mind that, when some software changed on this forum in 2005, join dates were reset for many of us. Even though mine says 2005, the original was 1998 -- many others were similarly reset, though not all.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

at the end of the day it really doesn't matter..... if the forum had deleted members for not showing up for very long periods I would not still be here ha... what does matter my first ever flight sim (Sub Logic) forget the name now came on 12 51/2 inch floppies for a Commodore 64 and before Microsoft the company existed! Bill gates had just stolen the DOS software ha

68891-flight-simulator-ii-atari-8-bit-front-cover.jpg

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

The very first "flight simulator" I played was Star Fox on Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

I have many fond hours playing that game. I must have beat it three or more times I reckon. The ending in Star Fox for the SNES reminds me of that "master robot" thing (the God bot?) at the end of the movie Matrix Revolutions where Neo has his final battle with Agent Smith.

I did have the first Nintendo prior to the Super. Got that puppy due to a Kmart certificate I got as an award for selling more Boy Scout candy bars then I don't know how many districts in Southern Californiastan. I had won all the prizes so they had to come up with stuff to give me. LOL! If I can remember, the Kmart gift certificate was worth a $100 smackers and I knew EXACTLY what I was going to buy! A Nintendo. Oh, I spent so much time in Mario 1 it wasn't even funny. Back then there were no real saves unless the game gave you a code to return to that spot again much like how Metal Gear gave you codes. Yes, Metal Gear was on Nintendo. Freaking brilliant plot. The Metal Gear version for the first PlayStation was just AWESOME! The music? Superior. I can just hear that Into. music now and see the Ohio class submarine and me talking on a burst transmitter, which is right up my alley since I know my far share about TSCM/clandestine stuff and radio communications. The first "burst transmitter" was for Morse code in WWII. Anyway...

Even my mom got into the Nintendo fray. My Bro. and Sis. and I would watch my mom go from one Mario world to the next. No save I might add! Finally she made it to World 8, Level 8 and met Bowser and panicked. I said, "Just run underneath him!" Nope, she ran INTO him instead. LOL That was the last time she tried her hand at Mario 1. Back in the '80s my parents ran a bar and had a Pac Man arcade. I guess my mom was really good at Pac Man back then. I really liked the Pac Man version that came out for the Super. It was Mr. Pac Man and you walked around town and what not on "adventures." His eyebrows would go up in the air and had different facial expressions. Somewhere here I have a stand alone Flash version of the Atari Pac Man which I tried but failed to convert to HTML5.

Now even though I played Star Fox on the Super, the first flight game I played would have to be Top Gun and To The Earth on the first Nintendo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_the_Earth On the PlayStation 2 I LOVED Ace Combat Shattered Skies. I was pretty damn good in that game, let me tell you. I actively hunted down EVERYTHING on the far reaches of radar and latter found out from a gaming Mag that when you did that you acquired the F-22 and what not which I got and could never figure out why until I read that piece in that gaming Mag. LOL

Going back to the N64 there was of course Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Two words: Binary Perfection! I have the ROMS for my computer and USB N64 controller. Oh, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, but I gamed my rear end off. Often times the Sun saw me for two days straight. LOL! Even today I'm on the computer just learning my actual butt off! I don't play a lot of modern games though. Played ARC, 7 Days to Die, GTA V, PUBG and I have the latest COD Warfare, but I still enjoy my BF2 with AIX Mod, Generals Zero Hour (which had an awesome Mod call the Retarded Mod), ROMS and what have you.

I was totally blown away by the graphics and played every day after school.

When elementary school let out I'd walk down the street, cross a busy street to the 7-Eleven and play Street Fighter on the arcade. I'd always buy candy and what not with what little money I ever had. I know the following is going to sound kinda corny or what ever, but I have to mention it. I'm a history buff so I can see things in their historical perspective. In this instance of me being a free American kid walking down to a 7-Eleven in Southern Cali. of all places (should have never did that). This was during the time of the Berlin Wall, the division between the East and the West. If you lived in the Communist East side of Berlin you would NEVER have this opportunity of going to a 7-Eleven and playing Street Fighter, let alone owning a Nintendo, an Atari, etc. Maybe if you were lucky, and I mean freaking lucky. FFS, Levi jeans were hard to come by. A month after the Berlin Wall came down the first episode of the Simpsons aired. I was the same age as Bart at the time. Just a little history there.

Then a friend in school introduced me to FS98 sometime in 1988 and I was like holy crap you can fly around the world!!!

High school introduced me to Sim City 2000 which they should have NEVER did, let me tell you. HAHA. I borrowed the giant book on it all from a friend and read the thing cover to cover and took copies of pertinent Info. Yeah, the grocery stores used to have copy machines... I'd make copies of magazines all the time. LOL! Today I play Sim City 4 on occasion. And yeah, when I realized I could fly around the world in FS2004 I made a first attempt in the PMDG 737-700 I think it was, maybe 800, and got as far as Auckland, New Zealand. Almost biffed it there too which is something I never do. Today in FSX I must have been around the world five or seven times. I've lost count, but what I do know is where damn near every country is. When I land I check the place out on Google Street View and sometimes read about the airport on Wikipedia. Yeah, I'm a freaking nerd. HAHA

I started my own flightsim journey on the Tandy-TRS80...

1.7 MHz CPU. Unreal how things have changed today.

Speaking of Tandy, I must have been Radio Shack's #1 customer back then. I had so many damn police scanners. LOL Today I still have three. Two of which are digital trunk capable since most public safety has migrated to P25 and what not. Though, sadly many departments are flipping on the encryption switch. So much for transparency and knowing what's going on in case of a major emergency and what have you. You brought this on /\/\otorla!

I told my story several times in this and the other Forum. In brief, someone gave me a copy of MS FS ver. 1 in 1984, and then I got version 2, (which I played on a NYC government PC in my office).

I'm assuming this was with the NYPD. There's gotta be a Sim City 4 meme somewhere here... :D

Anyway, I think I wrote Deuteronomy part deux.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot
"Come on, man."

When elementary school let out I'd walk down the street, cross a busy street to the 7-Eleven and play Street Fighter on the arcade. I'd always buy candy and what not with what little money I ever had. I know the following is going to sound kinda corny or what ever, but I have to mention it. I'm a history buff so I can see things in their historical perspective. In this instance of me being a free American kid walking down to a 7-Eleven in Southern Cali. of all places (should have never did that). This was during the time of the Berlin Wall, the division between the East and the West. If you lived in the Communist East side of Berlin you would NEVER have this opportunity of going to a 7-Eleven and playing Street Fighter, let alone owning a Nintendo, an Atari, etc. Maybe if you were lucky, and I mean freaking lucky. FFS, Levi jeans were hard to come by. A month after the Berlin Wall came down the first episode of the Simpsons aired. I was the same age as Bart at the time. Just a little history there.

Yep, Hadouken... Street Fighter, man that brings back memories. Same here, right after school. Every day, $0.50 cents on Street fighter....

Edited by BushPilot

But if I may go back even further than "star fox", my first flight simulator was really make believe, imagination! I had this lawnmower in the backyard, it was a manual device and only had two wheels in the front. I was small enough to put a little chair on in and it had two cardboard wings I had placed on either side and a "stick" in the middle, not a joystick but a regular stick from a broom. It resembles a biplane....

It didn't have rudder pedals, because I didn't know about them. I just pretend I was flying.

I use to fly that thing everyday for like 2 years.... Until I grew out of it. There was a neighbor girl that saw it too and we use to play airplane. She use to come over and made her own plane next to mine. However mine was better.

I have been around computers longer than on flight simulators. I still have my Commadore 64 (works) in my closet. I had them all. But only in FS9 and FSX did they have vehicles. I then got hooked and concentrated on tweeking flight dynamics for vehicles. I bought my desktops from garage sales and GoodWill stores and put them together. In 2013 I got new parts and put together an i7 2600k, 3.6 ghz, that could handle FSX. I must of put in 8 years on vehicle flight dynamics and did it everyday 10 hrs a day/night. FSMS doesn't have vehicles (yet). I have bought an i9 9900k, up to 3.6 to 5.0, GTX 1080 Ti, 64 of ram, etc. Have not used it yet. Maybe next year will get FSMS and Win 10 Pro and try getting back into simming. But if there is not going to be any race cars (that can do REAL speeds) then I will sell the i9 and 'retire'. What is next? I play pool 1 hour every day (9 ball) and getting good after 3 years. I also paint with acrylics and do 'abstract' paints. I can go 'wild' and anything goes, plus it never gets boring. I am 81 yrs now so don't need no stress so avoiding FSMS until it's stable (if ever). Now Windows 11 is out. So will wait on THAT to get stable (if ever - hehe). Time for my nap.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).