Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long Timers

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot View Post
    The very first "flight simulator" I played was Star Fox on Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

I have many fond hours playing that game. I must have beat it three or more times I reckon. The ending in Star Fox for the SNES reminds me of that "master robot" thing (the God bot?) at the end of the movie Matrix Revolutions where Neo has his final battle with Agent Smith.

I did have the first Nintendo prior to the Super. Got that puppy due to a Kmart certificate I got as an award for selling more Boy Scout candy bars then I don't know how many districts in Southern Californiastan. I had won all the prizes so they had to come up with stuff to give me. LOL! If I can remember, the Kmart gift certificate was worth a $100 smackers and I knew EXACTLY what I was going to buy! A Nintendo. Oh, I spent so much time in Mario 1 it wasn't even funny. Back then there were no real saves unless the game gave you a code to return to that spot again much like how Metal Gear gave you codes. Yes, Metal Gear was on Nintendo. Freaking brilliant plot. The Metal Gear version for the first PlayStation was just AWESOME! The music? Superior. I can just hear that Into. music now and see the Ohio class submarine and me talking on a burst transmitter, which is right up my alley since I know my far share about TSCM/clandestine stuff and radio communications. The first "burst transmitter" was for Morse code in WWII. Anyway...

Even my mom got into the Nintendo fray. My Bro. and Sis. and I would watch my mom go from one Mario world to the next. No save I might add! Finally she made it to World 8, Level 8 and met Bowser and panicked. I said, "Just run underneath him!" Nope, she ran INTO him instead. LOL That was the last time she tried her hand at Mario 1. Back in the '80s my parents ran a bar and had a Pac Man arcade. I guess my mom was really good at Pac Man back then. I really liked the Pac Man version that came out for the Super. It was Mr. Pac Man and you walked around town and what not on "adventures." His eyebrows would go up in the air and had different facial expressions. Somewhere here I have a stand alone Flash version of the Atari Pac Man which I tried but failed to convert to HTML5.

Now even though I played Star Fox on the Super, the first flight game I played would have to be Top Gun and To The Earth on the first Nintendo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_the_Earth On the PlayStation 2 I LOVED Ace Combat Shattered Skies. I was pretty damn good in that game, let me tell you. I actively hunted down EVERYTHING on the far reaches of radar and latter found out from a gaming Mag that when you did that you acquired the F-22 and what not which I got and could never figure out why until I read that piece in that gaming Mag. LOL

Going back to the N64 there was of course Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Two words: Binary Perfection! I have the ROMS for my computer and USB N64 controller. Oh, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, but I gamed my rear end off. Often times the Sun saw me for two days straight. LOL! Even today I'm on the computer just learning my actual butt off! I don't play a lot of modern games though. Played ARC, 7 Days to Die, GTA V, PUBG and I have the latest COD Warfare, but I still enjoy my BF2 with AIX Mod, Generals Zero Hour (which had an awesome Mod call the Retarded Mod), ROMS and what have you.

I was totally blown away by the graphics and played every day after school.

When elementary school let out I'd walk down the street, cross a busy street to the 7-Eleven and play Street Fighter on the arcade. I'd always buy candy and what not with what little money I ever had. I know the following is going to sound kinda corny or what ever, but I have to mention it. I'm a history buff so I can see things in their historical perspective. In this instance of me being a free American kid walking down to a 7-Eleven in Southern Cali. of all places (should have never did that). This was during the time of the Berlin Wall, the division between the East and the West. If you lived in the Communist East side of Berlin you would NEVER have this opportunity of going to a 7-Eleven and playing Street Fighter, let alone owning a Nintendo, an Atari, etc. Maybe if you were lucky, and I mean freaking lucky. FFS, Levi jeans were hard to come by. A month after the Berlin Wall came down the first episode of the Simpsons aired. I was the same age as Bart at the time. Just a little history there.

Then a friend in school introduced me to FS98 sometime in 1988 and I was like holy crap you can fly around the world!!!
    High school introduced me to Sim City 2000 which they should have NEVER did, let me tell you. HAHA. I borrowed the giant book on it all from a friend and read the thing cover to cover and took copies of pertinent Info. Yeah, the grocery stores used to have copy machines... I'd make copies of magazines all the time. LOL! Today I play Sim City 4 on occasion. And yeah, when I realized I could fly around the world in FS2004 I made a first attempt in the PMDG 737-700 I think it was, maybe 800, and got as far as Auckland, New Zealand. Almost biffed it there too which is something I never do. Today in FSX I must have been around the world five or seven times. I've lost count, but what I do know is where damn near every country is. When I land I check the place out on Google Street View and sometimes read about the airport on Wikipedia. Yeah, I'm a freaking nerd. HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldVermeij
    I started my own flightsim journey on the Tandy-TRS80...
    1.7 MHz CPU. Unreal how things have changed today.

Speaking of Tandy, I must have been Radio Shack's #1 customer back then. I had so many damn police scanners. LOL Today I still have three. Two of which are digital trunk capable since most public safety has migrated to P25 and what not. Though, sadly many departments are flipping on the encryption switch. So much for transparency and knowing what's going on in case of a major emergency and what have you. You brought this on /\/\otorla!

Quote Originally Posted by UPHILL3
    I told my story several times in this and the other Forum. In brief, someone gave me a copy of MS FS ver. 1 in 1984, and then I got version 2, (which I played on a NYC government PC in my office).
    I'm assuming this was with the NYPD. There's gotta be a Sim City 4 meme somewhere here...

Anyway, I think I wrote Deuteronomy part deux.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 06-28-2021 at 02:14 PM. Reason: "Come on, man."
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    When elementary school let out I'd walk down the street, cross a busy street to the 7-Eleven and play Street Fighter on the arcade. I'd always buy candy and what not with what little money I ever had. I know the following is going to sound kinda corny or what ever, but I have to mention it. I'm a history buff so I can see things in their historical perspective. In this instance of me being a free American kid walking down to a 7-Eleven in Southern Cali. of all places (should have never did that). This was during the time of the Berlin Wall, the division between the East and the West. If you lived in the Communist East side of Berlin you would NEVER have this opportunity of going to a 7-Eleven and playing Street Fighter, let alone owning a Nintendo, an Atari, etc. Maybe if you were lucky, and I mean freaking lucky. FFS, Levi jeans were hard to come by. A month after the Berlin Wall came down the first episode of the Simpsons aired. I was the same age as Bart at the time. Just a little history there.
    Yep, Hadouken... Street Fighter, man that brings back memories. Same here, right after school. Every day, $0.50 cents on Street fighter....
    Last edited by BushPilot; 06-30-2021 at 03:46 PM.
    Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)
    Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

But if I may go back even further than "star fox", my first flight simulator was really make believe, imagination! I had this lawnmower in the backyard, it was a manual device and only had two wheels in the front. I was small enough to put a little chair on in and it had two cardboard wings I had placed on either side and a "stick" in the middle, not a joystick but a regular stick from a broom. It resembles a biplane....

It didn't have rudder pedals, because I didn't know about them. I just pretend I was flying.

I use to fly that thing everyday for like 2 years.... Until I grew out of it. There was a neighbor girl that saw it too and we use to play airplane. She use to come over and made her own plane next to mine. However mine was better.
    Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)
    Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

Default Vehicles

I have been around computers longer than on flight simulators. I still have my Commadore 64 (works) in my closet. I had them all. But only in FS9 and FSX did they have vehicles. I then got hooked and concentrated on tweeking flight dynamics for vehicles. I bought my desktops from garage sales and GoodWill stores and put them together. In 2013 I got new parts and put together an i7 2600k, 3.6 ghz, that could handle FSX. I must of put in 8 years on vehicle flight dynamics and did it everyday 10 hrs a day/night. FSMS doesn't have vehicles (yet). I have bought an i9 9900k, up to 3.6 to 5.0, GTX 1080 Ti, 64 of ram, etc. Have not used it yet. Maybe next year will get FSMS and Win 10 Pro and try getting back into simming. But if there is not going to be any race cars (that can do REAL speeds) then I will sell the i9 and 'retire'. What is next? I play pool 1 hour every day (9 ball) and getting good after 3 years. I also paint with acrylics and do 'abstract' paints. I can go 'wild' and anything goes, plus it never gets boring. I am 81 yrs now so don't need no stress so avoiding FSMS until it's stable (if ever). Now Windows 11 is out. So will wait on THAT to get stable (if ever - hehe). Time for my nap.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Blog Entries

Been here since FS98 days, and a moderator since shortly after joining!

Darrell

But if I may go back even further than "star fox", my first flight simulator was really make believe, imagination! I had this lawnmower in the backyard, it was a manual device and only had two wheels in the front. I was small enough to put a little chair on in and it had two cardboard wings I had placed on either side and a "stick" in the middle, not a joystick but a regular stick from a broom. It resembles a biplane....

It didn't have rudder pedals, because I didn't know about them. I just pretend I was flying.

I use to fly that thing everyday for like 2 years.... Until I grew out of it. There was a neighbor girl that saw it too and we use to play airplane. She use to come over and made her own plane next to mine. However mine was better.
    I used to think my bike was a jet of sorts, and since I used to watch the old Batman shows with Adam West, and it was the time the first Batman movie came out, I pretended my bike was the Batmobile and the fence gate was the entrance to my Bat Cave. The classic cartoon Muppet Babies covered imaginative stuff like this. Gone are the days of great television. Even today as an adult I like cartons because it's a great escape from reality, I think it stimulates your brain or something, and I'm sooo damn tired of the back and fourth on cable news. Just sick of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot
    She use to come over and made her own plane next to mine. However mine was better.
    Of course!
    OOM errors? Read this.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    I must of put in 8 years on vehicle flight dynamics and did it everyday 10 hrs a day/night.
    I probably did the same thing with building Area-51 in FS2004. Hours and hours getting everything right, looking at Sat imagery and doing some research. I even had a Beechcraft 1900 go from "KXTA" to Nut Tree, California (KVCB) since I saw that aircraft was recorded doing that and its flight path was recorded on the Internet. Oh, I bet the Air Force and CIA love that stuff... LOL Travis AFB is nearby so maybe that's why the Beechcraft flew to Nut Tree. Don't know, really don't care.
    OOM errors? Read this.

Maybe not a true 'long timer', but maybe a 'mid to long' timer?

Started with the "game" aspect of Flying in the late 20th, first with X-Wing and TIE Fighter, then progressing to US Navy Fighters and SU-27 Flanker.

More Fighter Sims down the road (CFS, CFS2 & 3, IL-2/Pacific Fighters) got me into trying a 'real' Sim, so I jumped in and started with FS 2002, then switched over to FS9. Lots of Bush/Backcountry flying and long XC's later, my computer went south in '16.

Not having the funds for a proper flight sim setup, I went bereft (and so did all of my hard fought Skills) until just a couple of months ago, when I inherited a laptop with a standalone Graphics Card. Reloaded FS9 and some of the Planes/Scenery I had archived, and am going back through the motions of becoming a sim jockey again. This time though, my plan is to delve into fighter jets and see how I do with those.

In the meantime, more pattern work in my hopped up 172 around the confines of Centennial!

Alan

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen
    AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

Far North Coast, New South Wales, Australia

Interesting to read all the posts. Lots of nostalgia including the IT history (I first learnt to drive a personal computer on the Tandy TRS80 ("Trash 80") in the 1980s, storage was on a cassette tape recorder!). Re my thread "25 years?", finally yesterday got around to finishing listening to Nels interview on Willy Canucks "The Haggis and Poutine Show" on Blue Sky Radio. As I've stated in posts elsewhere, one wonderful thing about FlightSim.com is the long history, with all posts still available, which can be very helpful given that many of us have older hardware and software, and posts from years ago are still relevant and helpful. As the old saying goes (am paraphrasing it here) "... those who ignore the lessons of history are destined to experience the same mistakes ...".
    Last edited by MAD1; 07-17-2021 at 10:44 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123