Long Timers

andyjohnston

But if I may go back even further than "star fox", my first flight simulator was really make believe, imagination! I had this lawnmower in the backyard, it was a manual device and only had two wheels in the front. I was small enough to put a little chair on in and it had two cardboard wings I had placed on either side and a "stick" in the middle, not a joystick but a regular stick from a broom. It resembles a biplane....

It didn't have rudder pedals, because I didn't know about them. I just pretend I was flying.

I use to fly that thing everyday for like 2 years.... Until I grew out of it. There was a neighbor girl that saw it too and we use to play airplane. She use to come over and made her own plane next to mine. However mine was better.

I used to think my bike was a jet of sorts, and since I used to watch the old Batman shows with Adam West, and it was the time the first Batman movie came out, I pretended my bike was the Batmobile and the fence gate was the entrance to my Bat Cave. The classic cartoon Muppet Babies covered imaginative stuff like this. Gone are the days of great television. Even today as an adult I like cartons because it's a great escape from reality, I think it stimulates your brain or something, and I'm sooo damn tired of the back and fourth on cable news. Just sick of it all.

She use to come over and made her own plane next to mine. However mine was better.

Of course! :D

I must of put in 8 years on vehicle flight dynamics and did it everyday 10 hrs a day/night.

I probably did the same thing with building Area-51 in FS2004. Hours and hours getting everything right, looking at Sat imagery and doing some research. I even had a Beechcraft 1900 go from "KXTA" to Nut Tree, California (KVCB) since I saw that aircraft was recorded doing that and its flight path was recorded on the Internet. Oh, I bet the Air Force and CIA love that stuff... LOL Travis AFB is nearby so maybe that's why the Beechcraft flew to Nut Tree. Don't know, really don't care.

Maybe not a true 'long timer', but maybe a 'mid to long' timer?

Started with the "game" aspect of Flying in the late 20th, first with X-Wing and TIE Fighter, then progressing to US Navy Fighters and SU-27 Flanker.

More Fighter Sims down the road (CFS, CFS2 & 3, IL-2/Pacific Fighters) got me into trying a 'real' Sim, so I jumped in and started with FS 2002, then switched over to FS9. Lots of Bush/Backcountry flying and long XC's later, my computer went south in '16.

Not having the funds for a proper flight sim setup, I went bereft (and so did all of my hard fought Skills) until just a couple of months ago, when I inherited a laptop with a standalone Graphics Card. Reloaded FS9 and some of the Planes/Scenery I had archived, and am going back through the motions of becoming a sim jockey again. This time though, my plan is to delve into fighter jets and see how I do with those.

In the meantime, more pattern work in my hopped up 172 around the confines of Centennial!

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Interesting to read all the posts. Lots of nostalgia including the IT history (I first learnt to drive a personal computer on the Tandy TRS80 ("Trash 80") in the 1980s, storage was on a cassette tape recorder!). Re my thread "25 years?", finally yesterday got around to finishing listening to Nels interview on Willy Canucks "The Haggis and Poutine Show" on Blue Sky Radio. As I've stated in posts elsewhere, one wonderful thing about FlightSim.com is the long history, with all posts still available, which can be very helpful given that many of us have older hardware and software, and posts from years ago are still relevant and helpful. As the old saying goes (am paraphrasing it here) "... those who ignore the lessons of history are destined to experience the same mistakes ...". Edited by MAD1