Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Adventures in Flightsimming

Default More Adventures in Flightsimming

Well, that didn't go as planned.

I stumbled back to the plane. It was still raining pretty heavy turning the ground to mud; I had trouble staying on my feet and expected to land on my face any second.

But then I was next to the tail and I grabbed it with one hand to keep me upright. I kept one hand on the metal skin of the aircraft as I got to the door and pulled it open before flopping in. It took only a few seconds to get the engine running, then I stomped on the left pedal while pushing the throttle bit.

The plane started to turn, but Huey wasn't back yet. I couldn't leave without him...could I?

As if to answer my unspoken question, he pulled the door open and tried to climb in. His legs were still dangling out. Good enough, I thought, and jammed the throttle all the way forward. Acceleration was slow because of the mud but eventually we picked up speed and the tail of the plane came up. As it did, I glanced out the back. There were two...no three people on motorcycles chasing after us, and the trees at the end of the field were getting close. I pulled back on the yoke, and we lifted up with no room to spare.

Huey cried out and I banked the plane hard to the left, reaching over with one hand to help pull him in. He was safe, but I could smell gasoline. One of those bullets had hit us, and we'd be in trouble sooner or later!

But I guess I should start at the beginning.
    Spent way too much time using these sims...
    FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Nice start, I am still laughing... (-:

Thanks everyone, I always appreciate any feedback!

I thought screenshot forum required a screen shot?

At first I had no idea who they were. I had just finished a job flying a fairly new Beechcraft from the factory to the new owner in France, and was quite literally on my way to the airport to head home when my phone rang.

The voice on the other end had explained to me that they were three business men from the Philippines who were on a corporate retreat in Barcelona. They were sneaking away and wanted a pilot who could take them on a trip. Did you know they spoke English there? It was a surprise to me.

Sure, I had agreed and they said they'd meet me in Paris. Talk about lucky, it just meant I'd have to relax. How terrible.

Not so lucky after all, they wanted to see the famous ski area at Courchevel. Alright, not my favourite place to land, but even I had to admit it was pretty. So we rented a plane and made the long trip there.

Sounds pretty normal so far doesn't it?

It was at the end of the second day, after I had finished eating I was on my way back to my room. I wouldn't call the place a hotel, more like an inn. As I passed along the row of rooms, there was someone standing against the wall ahead of me. I didn't pay him any attention until I got close and he stepped in front of me.

He was shorter than myself, and I'm not exactly tall to begin with, an Asian man with a frock of black hair. I stepped to the left to go around him, and he moved in the same direction, blocking me. So I tried the other way and he did the same. I was a little tired and not in the mood to fool around. That's when he spoke.

"Please, I need your help."

His accent was thick, so much so that understanding him wasn't easy.

"I think you have the wrong person," I said, pushing past him with a lot more force than I was using before.

He grabbed my arm. "No," he said. "I know who you are, and I know you will help me."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-25-2021-19-53.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	226318

Name:	5-29-2021-17-03.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	226364

I've said before, I'm a terrible sleeper, in fact you'd have to try real hard to find someone worse. Just the same, I was a little tired.

But I was also hungry, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to rest unless I had a little to eat. So I motioned for him to follow as I led the way to a nearby café. We sat at a table in one corner and waited for the server. She had a hard time understanding him, but my French is good enough that I was able to order.

As she left, I turned to him. "So, what's this all about?"

He clasped his hands and leaned forward, then sat back, then he leaned forward again. He opened his mouth, then closed it again.

"Today," I thought.

Finally, he spoke.

"My name is Huey," he began. "Thanks for taking the time to talk to me. Let me explain. I've got some people who are after me, and they've taken my family. My wife and my son. His name is Christopher and he's very sick. He's got..."

Between his heavy accent and the fact that I'd never heard over the condition, I had no idea what he said. So I just sat there nodding like an idiot.

"Why you?"

"They think I'm important, but I'm not. I'm just a simple person. I guess they have me confused with someone else."

"I got a call asking for a ransom," he said.

"A ransom?"

Huey nodded at me. "I don't have money."

"Tell me what you do," I said. "Why would they choose you?"

"Like I said, I think they have me confused with someone else," Huey said. "I work for the government, I just do websites and stuff. They want five million dollars."

"Then we have to do something about it. Come on." I led Huey to the front desk of the inn where I was staying, and left a note for the Filipino businessmen to say I'd been called away on an urgent matter. Then Huey and I hurried to the parking area where we climbed into the Bonanza I had rented, and set course for Paris.

Name:	5-31-2021-13-54.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	226392

The plane was pretty small, but I was glad it had an autopilot so I didn't have to concentrate on holding it steady. The takeoff from Courchevel is always a little hairy, since you don't know until the last seconds whether you'll get off in time, but we did and set a course for Paris.

Our flight made one thing painfully obvious: Huey talks too much.

He goes on and on about anything and everything, and his accent makes it hard to understand what he's saying. After a while I found myself leting him drone while I only caught the occasional word. I was half tempted to close my eyes, but evfen with the plane on auto that would still be a bad idea.

We got to Paris shortly after dark and immediately bought tickets for the first flight we could find that would get us across the ocean. The destination was JFK in New York, and we landed shortly before daybreak. Huey bought us breakfast at some little diner down the block from the airport, and we were back in time to catch or next flight, off to somewhere out west.

You would think eventually he'd run out of steam, but Huey goes on and on endlessly.

We flew in a small plane from Courchevel to Paris and he yammered. Then we flew all the way to New York, and he never stopped except to catch his breath. I was relieved to have the night to myself, but in my dreams Huey was carrying on.

That morning, as we wandered down the gate to a flight destined for Denver, he actually said something important. I had to stop myself and get him to back up.

"The ransom call came in on my cell," he repeated. He was about to start talking again when I interrupted.

"Then you must have the number it came from?"

Huey shook his head. "No, it was blocked."

"Well we can do something about that!" I said. I turned and hurried back along the gate, Huey had to rush to keep up. I went straight to the counter to refund our tickets. The woman working there looked at us with raised eyebrows, and asked why we were refunding tickets when we could just board the flight. At first she didn't seem to want to accept we've changed our minds as a reason, but she relented when it became obvious she wasn't going to get any more out of us.

I led Huey through the airport and we stopped in the little building where they would let us rent a plane.

Name:	3-14-2021-15-35.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	226426

I got us a little 172 and we made the long taxi out to runway 4L for takeoff. It wasn't until we were a good way along the taxiway that I noticed something, Huey hadn't uttered a peep in a good while. We took off and turned to a south-westerly direction.

It took a little while in that plane, but we eventually found our way to Washington, and landed at Reagan National. I've worked a lot of jobs over the years, you may have even read about one or two (or more) and I've made a few connections.

We parked and I had my phone out. Ryan answered immediately. "Of all the people I wasn't expecting to hear from today."

"Yeah," I said, "I'm in town and I need to make use of your expertise. Do you mind?"

"Not at all," Ryan said. "Why don't you come to the building and I'll meet you downstairs."

"You're a lifesaver, thanks."

There was a line of taxis waiting in front of the airport's main door, and Huey and I hopped into the first one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast