MSFS 2020 Best CPU

What is the best CPU for MFS 2020?

Probably the fastest currently available.

Sorry if that’s not very helpful but I’m sure you could find the answer on google.

I personally have an i9-10900k but I think there are faster ones now.

Of course you can’t just get the latest cpu without having the latest motherboard etc

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

MSFS performance is dependent on the graphics card, not so much the CPU.

Any four core or better CPU will do the job.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

This question does not give enough information to furnish a useful answer. For instance, what monitor resolution will you be running? What are your expectations? What motherboard do you want to use? What GPU and memory will you be pairing with the CPU?

At 1080p, and high settings, you may be able to get 60 fps with an I5 11600K and a good GPU and fast memory and an M.2 drive. If you are going to run a 4K monitor on high settings, you may struggle to get 30 fps with an I9 11900K. Going beyond 60 fps is probably just a status symbol, of no real useful value. But you will need more fps to fly acrobatics than to cruise in a C152.

Do you plan to go with Intel or AMD? In general, the program as it stands now, will benefit more from a faster core speed than a whole lot of cores. Up until the last AMD iteration, Intel had an advantage, but I think the latest AMD processors have caught and maybe passed the 10th gen Intel offerings. I have not seen any test reports on running FS2020 on an Intel 11th generation processor, but I am sure it will be a little faster than the 10th gen. Again, this becomes a mute point if you get 84 fps on an I9-10900K at 1080p, 93 fps won't make any difference.

The program is still (and likely will continue) evolving. What is optimum now may not be in 6 months. I suspect that the program will eventually get more efficient at using more cores as time goes on. We don't know how often you plan to upgrade your computer?

Even with the fastest CPU, you won't be happy if you are using a RX570 GPU. Memory speed and latency affect the performance, so you need 3000 or 3200 speed memory for best results, but 3600 has caused problems for some. CL15 will work better than CL21.

You really need a fast M.2 to run the program at top performance. You also need a good internet connection (>50 mbps) to run at higher resolutions and at least 30mbps at any resolution.

Give us a lot more information, and the answer will be more helpful.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

MSFS is heavily bound to single-thread CPU performance, so you'll want a CPU that excels in single-thread performance. That may change down the road, however, once DirectX12 is implemented, but it remains to be seen if CPU performance will be affected by that.

Right now, the Ryzen Zen3 series boasts the best performance, and I can vouch for that since I own one. I used to run off a Ryzen 5 3600 and recently made the jump to a Ryzen 5 5600x. The difference is striking. I went from medium settings to high settings, and I still have plenty of room to spare for upping settings. All this on a 1440p ultrawide monitor, no less. I have it paired up with a 3060 Ti video card, and those two, along with 32GB of RAM, makes for a very sweet spot gaming rig, one that handles MSFS with ease.

To top it off, the 5600x retails for $300. That's hard to beat when it comes to value.

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Deja vu FSX!

I would have thought MSFS would be multi core capable.

Oh it's certainly "multi core capable", and all 4 of my cores are used simultanously. But there is still a main thread. I'm no computer scientist, but presumably there is one thread does that a lot of the "delegation" work to other threads and perhaps the GPU (I might be talking out of my arse, it's just how I think of it).

FYI, I've read somewhere that the point of diminishing returns is about the six cores .

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

In short, there's no such thing as the BEST CPU in FS... buy what you can afford high end if possible

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz