Looking For a Way to Increase FSX Font Size

leegra

I've been spending most of my free time for the past several months enjoying MSFS. Recently, I went back to another machine, where I have FSX installed, to see how it was working. To my surprise (and, the first time ever) the font size of the program had decreased significantly. I had to start using a magnifying glass on some of the text...I have searched everywhere I can think of, trying to find a way to bring back the original FSX text size. But, "no joy."...There were some suggestions back in 2015, but no real answer.

I've tried adjusting monitor settings, increasing Win7 size through the Control Panel, and clicking on default graphic settings, but they did not affect FSX. Still, very small font size...

I hope someone on the Forum can offer some suggestions as to how I can get FSX back to normal...Thanks in advance for all ideas and help...

Lee Graves

Thanks--I did read those, but no one seemed to have a way of increasing FSX's font size. Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by abrussell View Post:

"Have you tried Control Panel-Display-Screen Resolution. At the bottom of the list

is: Make text and other items larger or smaller"

Bruce

Won't this increase FSX font size, also?

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks--I did read those, but no one seemed to have a way of increasing FSX's font size. Did I miss something?

Lee Graves

Try this, it works in Windows 10 and might work in Windows 7:

Right click fsx.exe and click properties

Click "compatibility" tab

Click "run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose Windows 7

Click "Run this program as an administrator".

Click "change high DPI settings"

Click "use this setting to fix scaling problems...."

From the "Use the DPI that's set..." drop down choose "I open this program".

Click "Override high DPI scaling behavior."

From the "Scaling performed by:" drop down choose "System".

Click OK and OK again to save the settings.

• Like 1

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Mr. Zippy--I did increase the overall Win7 font size, but it had no effect on FSX.

Thanks Tim--Win7 apparently doesn't offer as many Compatibility choices as Win10. The bottom three on your list did not appear to be available options.

I made the available changes, but only one screen in FSX increased, and that was one starting PMDG's MD-11. It was a good try, though... When I saw the latter, I thought we had succeeded!...

Can anyone think of any other steps I can take?...Thanks again, for all suggestions...

Lee Graves

Hi Wim--I think you are correct. The easiest way to increase FSX's font size is to simply lower the Monitor resolution before starting the sim. Normally, the monitor runs at 1920 x 1280 (recommended), producing the hard-to-read font size I'm trying to boost. However, adjusting the resolution to 1280 x 720 before starting FSX makes the entire program quite readable--just what I I'm looking for...When I'm finished with FSX I simply re-set the resolution back to 1920 x 1280 and all is fine...

Is there anything else I might do to improve the situation?...If not,

my thanks to all who offered help...It's much appreciated...

Lee Graves

Lee - another way to do it: in Windows 7 at least.

Control Panel > Appearance and Personalisation > Display

Make text and other items larger or smaller

It allows you to set from a range of three settings - 100%, 125% and 150%

I have a shortcut directly to that page of the Control Panel for ease of access and switching. As long as you don't have any add-ons that are not disability-friendly, that can be quite convenient.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

• 2 years later...
On 5/20/2021 at 7:15 AM, tiger1962 said:

Try this, it works in Windows 10 and might work in Windows 7:

Right click fsx.exe and click properties

Click "compatibility" tab

Click "run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose Windows 7

Click "Run this program as an administrator".

Click "change high DPI settings"

Click "use this setting to fix scaling problems...."

From the "Use the DPI that's set..." drop down choose "I open this program".

Click "Override high DPI scaling behavior."

From the "Scaling performed by:" drop down choose "System".

Click OK and OK again to save the settings.

This works. 

BUT, it has to be re-set each time FSX Steam is launched. Is there a way to make the change permanent?

I'm using Windows 10 Home, latest version, on a laptop with a 2560 x 1600 screen, with integrated Intel Iris graphics adapter and 16 GB RAM.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

You'll need to take ownership of the Steam fsx.exe file and then apply the fix above; follow the take ownership instructions on this web page: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-windows-8#:~:text=Take Ownership of Files Windows 10 1 Open,button. 6 Select the Owner tab. See More.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64