Question about P3D and FS2020

Who here has P3D or the new sim 2020.

Do you think it's better then FSX and, can FSX aircraft be flown in P3D and FS2020?

Since i can't trust amazon or e-bay to purchase FSX, I'm forced to change sims.

Which one should i buy in order, to get back in the air.:cool:

There are two questions in this:

1. Do you think it's better then FSX and,

2. can FSX aircraft be flown in P3D and FS2020?

#1: Yes, MSFS2020 is an expensive arcade game (I know full well that I may be starting a flame war here),

#2: No. Modification: FSX AI (only) aircraft will work in P3D.

Jorgen

There are many things to consider here. First, Both P3D & FS2020 will require a pretty powerful computer to function well. You don't mention your computer specs, processor, GPU, memory, storage device? All of those things are very important. Secondly, FS2020 is a completely different program than FSX, different command structure, different sim engine, and different aircraft. You can't really use FSX aircraft in FS2020. A few have been ported over, but some of those create big problems for FS2020. Everything works completely differently. There are lots of videos on the net to cover how the new program works, and how to get the instruments to function (You really will have a lot to learn). The trade off is the environment is SO much more immersive, you will be astonished. But you really do have to have a good computer to enjoy it.

I can't speak to P3D but I think some aircraft will work, but since V4.5 or V5, most will not? I don't think the current iteration of P3D is even close to the scenic spectacular in FS2020.

If you want to fly very system specific airliners, FS2020 may not be a good choice as the top developers have not created aircraft of that detail for FS2020 yet. I think some of those are available for P3D.

I do think the Steam option is a good one for you if you want to fly FSX aircraft. I don't use it, I still run the program from a disk install.

In response to the post above, there are some very elegantly modeled GA aircraft in FS2020 that do fly vey realistically, including some small jets. If you mostly fly airliners, then the program has a few that look really nice, but the systems are not modeled at a level of detail some would demand. It isn't an arcade game, but it will disappoint for a fan of PMDG airliners.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Two important differences:

1. As far as I know, you cannot fly MSFS2020 without a good online connection, because the scenery comes from Google Earth....

2. There are, again as far as I know, no military aircraft in MSFS2020

Jorgen

1: Which verson of P3D? v1 and v2 and to a certain extent v3 will work with FSX, but from v4.5 and v5 they moved to a 64-bit construction and they will not, with a couple of exceptions, but:

2: Since v4.5 P3D is MUCH stronger, visually, than FSX. I have long-since dumped FSX off my box. Draw your own conclusions!

correction...Bing Maps because Microsoft.

There are a few military planes in FS2020 Marketplace

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Hi I cant speak for MSFS but it seems to be covered by earlier reply's, I have installed P3D v5 after Microsoft started trashing FSXSE before its release of MSFS, Very Very disappointed with V5 the 3D trees all look the same colour like they have high visibility vest on, ground textures are mainly default FSX a lot of my FSX addons have big problems. Did manage to sort out the trees and textures using the same format as my Natural World Scenery for FS2004 and released just before Christmas I found that Lockheed Martin had done a lot of work improving the landclass looked good by the end, but been mainly a GA person it just did not work for me so reinstalled my old Steam Edition to see if I could sort it out Microsoft had restored the awful things they had done, I decided to carry with what I had started and that is still work in progress it not only looks brilliant but has kept me sane over COViD and due for release late summer, Microsoft's 3D trees look good tho a lower resolution than v5 but the only time you'd notice it is if you go for a walk in the woods. Both v5 and FSXSE need a fairly high spec PC my sim of chose is Steam and well worth the low price they charge and does not suffer comparability issues like FSX, as with P3D it will only allow you to install on one PC if I can help further then ask.

Howard

Mail : biggles-tnw@outlook.com

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

• 4 weeks later...
Flightquarters, you can get FSX Steam Edition and never have to worry about obtaining a physical copy again. Anyway, I have FSX:SE, MSFS, and recently bought P3D 5.2. P3D is my favorite and best for simulating. MSFS2020 looks incredible and, until it improves, is best for GA and sightseeing. I'm keeping FSX:SE in case I want to use an old add-on not available in P3D 5.2.

Although FS2020 is coming along nicely, it will be a while, IMHO, before it has the simulation immersion of either FSX of Prepar3d. By this I mean that it is far from stable with random CTD's, autopilots that still go astray now and again, and erratic flight dynamics at times. And, although PMDG and Aerosoft appear now to be coming on board, there is at present a lack of study level aircraft.

I still use FS2020 and appreciate what it brings to the table, scenery exploration is fantastic, but for what I would call a decent simulation experience, I have purchased Prepar3d v5. With just the Orbx Global scenery, autogen trees and buildings, for me, it looks fantastic. I have actually bought quite a lot of Orbx scenery, and together with the PMDG Boeings and Aerosoft Airbus, it knocks spots of FS2020. It just works out of the box, doesn't need an internet connection, and in two months of using it, I have yet to experience a CTD.

Geoff