Hi Guys

I need help with choosing the best graphics card for MFS 2020. I am currently running MFSX with a nvidia 1050 but after upgrading to ,FS2020 i am getting a fair bit of stuttering. I have listed the main specs of my pc:

Windows 10 64bit

intel core ™ i7-8700k CPU@3.70GHZ(12CPUs)3.7GHZ

32768MB RAM

Directx 12

nvidia geforce gtx 1050

integrated RAMDAC

TOTAL MEMORY:18316MB

DISPLAY MEMORY (VRAM) 1977MB

SHARED MEMORY 16338MB

DirectDraw Acceleratio .Direct 3D Acceleration AGP Texture Acceleration ENABLED

These specs mean nothing to me so any help much appreciated.

Mark

Unfortunately, the cryptocurrency miners have driven video card prices to unthinkable heights. If you could find a used GTX 1070 or 1080 or a RTX 2060, that might be your best option?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Used card prices have gone crazy along with the new stuff. My 3 year old Vega64, which I paid $389.00 for 3 years ago, brought $740.00 on Ebay last week. Good luck to OP.
Ryzen 7 5800X@4.7ghz, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 32 Gig Gskill 3600, AMD 6800XT Black, Corsair 850w, Soundblaster Z, Samsung 970 M.2 1tb for o/s, Samsung 850 Evo 500g for MSFS, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb for Games

something I learned with MSFS2020 and building a new rig..... I bought the RX5600TX card with flightsim it's been nothing but a pain! Not being able to upgrade the card because of the miners and shipping disruptions compounding the shortage further I spent the money upgrading the ram to Corsair Dominator, which in itself improved the RX5600TX performance. then a new problem came out of that the computer would shut down, I knew it was not the graphics this time, so I started looking at the heat the system is producing ouch! high lol... I went out bought a Corsair liquid cooler spent an hour installing it yesterday and did the testing.... Absolutely amazing performance flightsim now runs full ultra and for the first time yesterday, I flew across London at 2000ft in the TBM with no problems....

I don't care what the experts say, fast ram and a good liquid cooler will help your graphics performance enormously!!!!! I can now even cross London in VR with settings at the high end with the same card... to be honest, it was all a bit of a learning curve with me.... what I took away from this is HEAT KILLS PERFORMANCE......... so if you can't buy a powerful graphics card buy mid-range buy fast ram and a cooling system then overclock and it all equates to happy landings not sad CTD's

these are some important factors when planing your build hope this helps you in some way......

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Used card prices have gone crazy along with the new stuff. My 3 year old Vega64, which I paid $389.00 for 3 years ago, brought $740.00 on Ebay last week. Good luck to OP.

Yeah, a year ago I bought the 970 for C$150. This card, despite just about hanging on by a thread, now goes for over C$350. It is most assuredly not worth that.

I don't care what the experts say, fast ram and a good liquid cooler will help your graphics performance enormously!!!!! I can now even cross London in VR with settings at the high end with the same card... to be honest, it was all a bit of a learning curve with me.... what I took away from this is HEAT KILLS PERFORMANCE......... so if you can't buy a powerful graphics card buy mid-range buy fast ram and a cooling system then overclock and it all equates to happy landings not sad CTD's

Yup. I overclocked my puny R3 (a 65W chip) and put a wildly oversized 215W cooler on it. It didn't impove my average framerate too much, but the framerate consistently is much improved. I regret buying average ram however; should have just jumped for higher tier RAM.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

You’re going to have to forget getting a new graphics card at the moment, unless you’re prepared to spend 2 or 3 times what they’re worth.

I would avoid eBay and similar sites, as scammers are listing loads of cards every day... usually from the Philippines or Ukraine... all cheap prices and postage free.

I’ve spent s lot of time reporting these to eBay over the last few days, but more keep appearing.

Then you’ve got the people listing “photos of graphics cards” again, it’s another scam.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

You’re going to have to forget getting a new graphics card at the moment, unless you’re prepared to spend 2 or 3 times what they’re worth.

I would avoid eBay and similar sites, as scammers are listing loads of cards every day... usually from the Philippines or Ukraine... all cheap prices and postage free.

I’ve spent s lot of time reporting these to eBay over the last few days, but more keep appearing.

Then you’ve got the people listing “photos of graphics cards” again, it’s another scam.

Regards

Steve

I saw a few people posting just the "boxes" while clearly stating "No Graphics Card Included". Yet there were multiple bids on the auctions. One 6800XT Box was going for over $900.00.

Ryzen 7 5800X@4.7ghz, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 32 Gig Gskill 3600, AMD 6800XT Black, Corsair 850w, Soundblaster Z, Samsung 970 M.2 1tb for o/s, Samsung 850 Evo 500g for MSFS, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb for Games

I saw a few people posting just the "boxes" while clearly stating "No Graphics Card Included". Yet there were multiple bids on the auctions. One 6800XT Box was going for over $900.00.

eBay should be doing more to stop these. Some scammers send you a bag of dirt, weighing roughly the same as a graphics card. That way they will have a tracking number and “proof” that they sent it.

I think most don’t send anything though as they don’t care anyway. They all have “0” feedback and they just sign up again using another string of random characters.

I myself, fell for one of these scams a few weeks ago. I found a cheap RTX 3090 on Etsy - rare find.. 20 others watching...

Fortunately PayPal wouldn’t wouldn’t let the sale go through. I soon realised that there were loads of others on there, so I spent several days reporting them. It actually seemed to work. I thought I was fighting a loosing battle but they do appear to have gone from the site (or at least last time I checked)

Since found even more on eBay, & getting them removed takes a lot longer.. and more appear ever day.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

If you have a friend that upgrades to every new release, that might be your best source for a used GPU.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Some of them are deliberately trying to attract bids from Bots, so they can trace the scalpers.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I know they claim to be doing this Tim, but most don’t make it obvious.. they all say “returns not accepted” and are breaking eBay rules themselves. I’m pretty sure most (if not all) are still hoping we will come along and give them our cash.

Regards

Steve

I've seen a couple with this warning in the item description: "THIS AUCTION IS FOR A PHOTO ONLY - DON'T BID ON THIS UNLESS YOU ARE A BOT."

I daresay most people won't read the item description though.

GPU prices are ridiculous at the moment and disk drives are about to go the same way, I'd wait until next year to make a PC upgrade.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I got lucky last fall and bought a GTX 1080ti, intending to replace it in a few months as soon as the prices came down. It looks like I will be using it for another year and that isn't so bad, as most of my settings are ultra and I very seldom experience stutters. I bought it for $500 and they are now going for nearly double that.

On another subject, I have used E-Bay many times (I bought my 1080ti there) and have never had a problem.

On E-Bay you can see the seller's history, and nobody with even 25 sales with 98% satisfaction would do anything to get a neg for a few hundred dollars, so when you see a seller with 100, 1,000 or 10,000 sales and a 98% approval rating you can be sure the sale will be on the up and up. Buying anything from Russia or Ukraine would be insanity IMO, so that isn't even worth mentioning. And you do have to read the product details.

I don't buy from sellers with less than 97% positive and I would never buy from a seller that has a higher than normal shipping cost, I see that as a sure sign of dishonesty (and if you do "get your money back" you won't be reimbursed for the shipping cost).

I won't buy anything from China unless it is something trivial that I wouldn't mind waiting six weeks for, and other than China, I don't think I've ever bought anything outside of my home country.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

A big factor to take into consideration when shopping for a new video card is the power supply it recommends you use. My 3060 Ti, for example, has a recommended power supply of at least 650w, which I have. The newer video cards are very power hungry, so be sure you have the power supply needed to run the thing.

If I were in your shoes, I'd frankly look for a new pre-built PC as those will give you the best option right now to get the performance you want for a relatively decent price compared to the sky-highway robbery that's going on with video cards today.

A little heads up too, it's the industry's worst-kept secret that NVIDIA 3080 Ti (and probably 3070 Ti) are on the way soon, which we'll likely see in pre-built PCs, unless you can land one in the open market by sheer luck. A pre-built with a newer video card is your best bet, it's just a question of what your budget is. Otherwise, you're in for a wait.

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)