Thread: MSFS program Left open or closed each time after flying???

Default MSFS program Left open or closed each time after flying???

I started off shutting down FS2020 after flying but lately to save loading time I am just putting Windows to SLEEP mode and leaving the program open. Curious to learn what other do, of course with a new plane or scenery etc then it needs to restart. So far it works fine this way. John D, Nelson BC Canada

For some crazy reason (only known to me) I always shut MSFS down, no logical reason.
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

I suspect this is a very bad idea which could mess up the update process.
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

It didn’t even occur to me that you could leave MSFS open. Does it actually save time? I might give it a go, although as Plainsman has pointed out, it could mess the updates.

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs. - Reverb G2 VR Headset

Default updates

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    I suspect this is a very bad idea which could mess up the update process.
    You may be right but I would not and do not leave it permanently open, and anyway the updates will still be there for you to update next time you do a reopening, so far I am having no problems leaving it open for a few days when doing similar flights or one of the "adventures" . I think a "very bad idea" is one that does not work, not just one not yet tried. So I can be your guinea pig. Just playing with the Britten Norman Islander right now and it is a beautiful download with so many details.
    Best regards John
    Last edited by jrdale210; 05-14-2021 at 04:56 PM.

When I look at the load on the system, FS 2020 consumes a fairly large load on the CPU and the GPU. Leaving it on could be asking for trouble if anything interferes with the the ventilation or something causes additional load.

Pat

Exactly. This is the reason it is not a good idea.

I sometimes leave MSFS open and put the PC in sleep mode, mostly when I want to return later to a flight in progress. This saves the loading time (usually about 6 minutes for me), but it also avoids the need to save and reload a flight. I find the saved flight function highly unreliable:

It has often caused a CTD! (Although less so, of late.)
    Many settings are not preserved. (E.g., AP settings.)
    For some reason, you have no access to "Flight Conditions" in a saved flight. That means you can't adjust the time of day or the clouds, etc. I regard this is a serious and unnecessary flaw.