Doing the best with my computer system

Hi People,

I have not posted for along time. I got MSFS as a present from my son and he downloaded it onto my computer as a suprise. I said to him there is no way my computer will run it as it is quite outdated now. I still fly with P3D and it is fine.

My specs:

Win 10, I5 3570k oc 4.5ghz, 16mb 1600 ddr3, 7200rpm 1TB drive, EVGA GTX 970, 42" LG television 1920x1080p, 30mbps internet

To my suprise I am getting fairly good performance, I have settings on low to medium with clouds on high [like my clouds]. What I have done in NVCP, I have set a custom resolution for my desktop 2304x1296, which looks good for my general use and then in the sim I have set my game resolution to

1843x1036, which is 80 render scaling.

The resolution is not pin sharp but with the big screen it looks amazing. I am getting a good 30-35 frames per second. but of course if I go to the big cities the frame rates drop to about 20-25. I do most of my flying with the TBM [love that plane] and general GA aircraft.

I have to say, MSFS has blown me away, yes there are problems, the annoying stutters when coming into land, updates that now when i go into General to change settings when flying the engine cuts out when going back to the flying.

I am going to upgrade eventually, I am going to get an SSD first and then later on this year I will buy a motherboard combo and then eventually get a new graphics card when the shortages are hopefully over.

Happy flying to everyone, I have made the best of what I have currently, will still keep experimenting to get the best performance possible.

So all of you with your mega specs, think about poor old me, Ha!

i5 3570k oc @ 4.3ghz, 16gb DDR3 Ram, 1TB HDD, GTX 970, 43" 4K Hisense TV , Logitech Yoke and Rudder, Logitech Flight panels.

My rig, settings, and thus general performance, is roughly similar to yours. I might suggest an overclock on the CPU and GPU, it seemed to help me smooth out some stutters. Actually, I'm quite curious if your CPU is a bottleneck? The utilization of one of my R3 3100 cores is close to 100%, while my 970 is also at 100%. So it seems like perfectly balanced system, for my configuration.

I use my native resolution (2560 x 1080), but with a 80% resolution scaling [Yes, yes, some of you will clutch your pearls and won't be able to imagine how I could stand the blurriness. We'll, I don't think it's that bad]. I also like my clouds, so I set that and buildings to high. I don't care much for shadows, so all those settings are turned way down. Rest are generally medium.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Hi KiloWatt,

I have my CPU overclocked to 4.5ghz and my GPU to 30% oc. My cores are maxed out and my GPU very close When in heavy urban areas. I set the graphics to keep a constant 30fps if possible. I set in NVCP 31 framerates max and adaptive half refresh rate. No vsync in MSFS.

When cruising my core 2 is maxed but the other cores vary. GPU is quite constant 75 to 100%.

Having the big screen makes up for the slight bluriness, my eyes aren't that good these days, everything is now getting blurrier.

I do use 8x Antilaising and 2x2 Multisampling, makes the runway clearer in the distance and ground textures.

I cannot go back to P3D now as the MSFS scenery and clouds are brill.

I am going to get an SSD drive shortly as my HDD drive does chatter alot in heavy scenery. Don't know if this will make a difference, but it will be a start to my upgrade.

i5 3570k oc @ 4.3ghz, 16gb DDR3 Ram, 1TB HDD, GTX 970, 43" 4K Hisense TV , Logitech Yoke and Rudder, Logitech Flight panels.

Sounds like you are doing well with what you've got on your system. Adjusting your graphics level to medium, more or less, is a good way to compensate for what is a marginal graphics card. I did a build at the end of 2020 to use for Flight Sim. It uses a GTX-1050 graphics card which is maybe slightly stronger than the 970. But I have only tried minor overclocking as I get nervous about temperatures and I don't like to set the fans to max. When I have checked my frame rate it is usually in the mid-20s. So relax and enjoy your flying!

When you upgrade get a motherboard that can use the m.2 slot for an SSD card. It is even faster than a SATA SSD drive.

Pat

system build: Intel I3-10100 on an Asrock mobo. ASUS GTX-1050 graphics. An M.2 500 GB SSD for storage (don't remember the brand)

Hi KiloWatt,

I have my CPU overclocked to 4.5ghz and my GPU to 30% oc. My cores are maxed out and my GPU very close When in heavy urban areas. I set the graphics to keep a constant 30fps if possible. I set in NVCP 31 framerates max and adaptive half refresh rate. No vsync in MSFS.

When cruising my core 2 is maxed but the other cores vary. GPU is quite constant 75 to 100%.

Having the big screen makes up for the slight bluriness, my eyes aren't that good these days, everything is now getting blurrier.

I do use 8x Antilaising and 2x2 Multisampling, makes the runway clearer in the distance and ground textures.

I cannot go back to P3D now as the MSFS scenery and clouds are brill.

I am going to get an SSD drive shortly as my HDD drive does chatter alot in heavy scenery. Don't know if this will make a difference, but it will be a start to my upgrade.

30% OC on the 970? I believe the core clock on the card is 1315 MHz, which would mean that you achieved about 1710 MHz; does that sound about right? Mine became unstable at around 1515 MHz (which seems to be the average). Did you water-cool that sucker to achieve that?

I have a 75 Hz monitor, so I aim for 37-38 fps, which I can usually achieve outside of major cities; but that absolutely necessitates 80% resolution scaling on this old card. I also find that it uses 3.5 GB of VRAM pretty much at startup, and will start to use the remaining (and much slower) 0.5 GB if it has to - I'm sure it's a driver optimization thing.

It uses a GTX-1050 graphics card which is maybe slightly stronger than the 970.

Ah, yes. A common misconception, due to the unintuitive naming scheme that Nvidia uses. The opposite is actually true, a 970 is considerably more powerful than a 1050, and even a 1050Ti. In fact, even a GTX770 (my previous GPU) is more powerful than a 1050Ti (which means a 1050ti is slightly below minimum spec). Check it out:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2577vs3649

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-770-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2174vs3649

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide