Where’d Everyone Go?

Yes, I've noticed the site had gone quiet. It was very busy around Xmas - New Year, but presumed that most folk were on holiday and had time to sim and post, and after 2021 got going, those of us who are working all had to go back to the grindstone. Doesn't explain why the retired old boys went quiet though.

My other thought was that there was heaps of hoop-la re the release of Microsoft Flight Simulator (aka FS2021) [yes, yes, all the debate about naming, but whatever, that product (yawn)] and now that all that pizzaz has passed, it's standard business-as-usual life in the sim world.] Standard human behaviour.

Edited by MAD1

Yes, I've noticed the site had gone quiet. It was very busy around Xmas - New Year, but presumed that most folk were on holiday and had time to sim and post, and after 2021 got going, those of us who are working all had to go back to the grindstone. Doesn't explain why the retired old boys went quiet though.

My other thought was that there was heaps of hoop-la re the release of Microsoft Flight Simulator (aka FS2021) [yes, yes, all the debate about naming, but whatever, that product (yawn)] and now that all that pizzaz has passed, it's standard business-as-usual life in the sim world.] Standard human behaviour.

Thank you for the one USEFUL reply to this post so far. A lot of the regulars have gone elsewhere. Where? I don’t know but there’s gotta be busier places out there and not so much a ghost town like here. I miss the good ol days.

Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

Hey JohnnyJohnJohn, I'm not a prolific poster (especially not of screenshots), but I've sort of gone off flight simming for a bit and I think MSFS is to blame. Before, I used to lap up everything the community threw out there (eg freeware aircraft & airports, reviews, opinions, screenshots) and rushed to try it out in FSX or P3D. However, since the release of MSFS it feels kinda redundant and I've lost my enthusiasm for the "old stuff" to some extent. I'm even holding off on most MSFS add-ons as well (especially payware), while the sim is still evolving. So, I'm in a sort of no-man's land with flight simming at the moment and been returning to my Steam games backlog. (Also picked up "IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings-Tobruk" on sale recently). Edited by rooitou
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

What rocket? Whose rocket? NASA, China, ...??? (I heard on the news something about the China booster re-entering near the Maldives or somesuch in the Indian Ocean. But don't watch the news much these days, too much misery on it.) Re the buzz then the quiet, I expected that with Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS aka FS2020, sorry I put the wrong year in my earlier post), that there wasn't much activity for the last few years, but a whole heap of newbies, and old newbies (like me) got interested again, and hence the buzz last year, 2020, and over Xmas - New Year, and now things are settling down again. Edited by MAD1

Haven't you noticed there's a global deadly pandemic which is the equivalent of a World War against an invisible enemy?

Most people have more important things to do rather than play computer games.

Well, I guess that's your take on it. Not everyone runs around like their hair is on fire. I think a lot of people are actually flying, we have a lot of options now. I've never been a prolific poster. I scan the forums daily, here and other places. MSFS seems to get the lions share of posts, which makes sense as it's the new kid on the block.

I suspect there is some seasonality to the lower activity. With Spring comes grass to mow, outdoor sports activities, and graduations and weddings. When July heat drives many back indoors, it may pick back up. Then football season starts, and there goes Fridays and Saturdays.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I suspect there is some seasonality to the lower activity. With Spring comes grass to mow, outdoor sports activities, and graduations and weddings. When July heat drives many back indoors, it may pick back up. Then football season starts, and there goes Fridays and Saturdays.

I hear yah Bob. I wish this sight had a droning section. I'd be able to post tons of videos since I'm getting back into that again this summer as well too. Glad the sim has a drone mode. I can practice a bit around my areaa!

Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

It's either that or break down and cry.

Still, it has given me a chance to spend a whole second life in Skyrim... (another reason for my reduced simming).

I hear yah. I have other games I play sometimes too, but flight sim is the bulk of my entertainment. So many cool features, its really the best for a bored afternoon....evening, day, etc...

I hear yah. I have other games I play sometimes too, but flight sim is the bulk of my entertainment. So many cool features, its really the best for a bored afternoon....evening, day, etc...

I can only speak for myself, but I was much more into flight sim between 2009 and 2015. What changed was a move to a more rural area, in 2016 and other items garnering my interest.

1. Owning a classic car, and it needing fixing

2. Playing keyboards in a gigging band. Practicing the setlist comes before video games.

3. BeamNG Drive-- a car video game. Well... car destruction video game is more like it.

Lately I'm making my go around, and have gotten into MSFS 2020 in true pursuit, unlike I've done for the past few months.

What changed? .... a new joystick. And a bit of burnout on BeamNG. And a fascination with MSFS's beautiful scenery that is represented.

This time I want to learn how to add my own aircraft, as that is my new challenge for myself.

So to sum it up I ebb and flow... not too unlike the tide.

No I don't think covids a laughing matter I just think more ppl need to realize that the chances forums run dry now is because of covid-19.

Sorry John John John thought I was making fun of covid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk