Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: There's still snow in the MSFS Rockies

Am I correct that if I turn left for example, I should put in some right rudder (top rudder?) to keep the plane from yawing, and vice versa?
    That's backwards, and would tend to keep you from turning at all. What happens in a real aircraft, and in many models in FSX and P3D, is that applying aileron makes the nose want to yaw in the opposite direction (this is called adverse yaw), caused by the downgoing aileron having more drag than the upgoing one. So rudder should be applied to correct this (same direction as the aileron). I'm sure Wolfgang explains that in his book, though it might be in different terms.

Try swinging the ailerons from full left to full right and back with no rudder input, and see if you get some adverse yaw then. Or perhaps the flight model is flawed (they too often are). Try that with other light aircraft, too.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    That's backwards, and would tend to keep you from turning at all. What happens in a real aircraft, and in many models in FSX and P3D, is that applying aileron makes the nose want to yaw in the opposite direction (this is called adverse yaw), caused by the downgoing aileron having more drag than the upgoing one. So rudder should be applied to correct this (same direction as the aileron). I'm sure Wolfgang explains that in his book, though it might be in different terms.

Try swinging the ailerons from full left to full right and back with no rudder input, and see if you get some adverse yaw then. Or perhaps the flight model is flawed (they too often are). Try that with other light aircraft, too.
    Thanks. I understood that banking left without rudder input causes adverse yaw to the right, etc., but I was confused re. how to counteract it. Your explanation is clearer than Wolfgang’s. I’ll try different aircraft to find one with a flight model that produces adverse yaw.

Meanwhile, I googled “top rudder aviation” and read that it means the high, or top, rudder pedal in a turn, and you apply it when you roll out of a turn. So coming out of a left turn, you would apply right rudder in coordination with the right aileron to level the wings.

I am learning something new every day! Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Hi Aptos,

Regarding the rudder ball in the 152, it does move when you bank but only with a pretty big initial bank. You'll see here that it's displaced to the right so you should apply right rudder to get it back in line.
    Name:  Ball.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  15.0 KB

I couldn't find anything under General Options for setting Auto-rudder so it's probably not on, but there are settings under the Controls. Mine are all blank as you'll see here. Maybe you should search for "Rudder" under Controls and make sure you don't have an assignment defaulted there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rudder controls.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	226234

Quote Originally Posted by Cavulife View Post
    Hi Aptos,

Regarding the rudder ball in the 152, it does move when you bank but only with a pretty big initial bank. You'll see here that it's displaced to the right so you should apply right rudder to get it back in line.
    Name:  Ball.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  15.0 KB

I couldn't find anything under General Options for setting Auto-rudder so it's probably not on, but there are settings under the Controls. Mine are all blank as you'll see here. Maybe you should search for "Rudder" under Controls and make sure you don't have an assignment defaulted there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rudder controls.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	226234
    Hmmm. I have rudder pedals. I haven’t drilled down in the settings further than pedal sensitivity. Maybe there’s an auto rudder on/off setting. I’ll let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12