Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Achievements

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    49

    Default Achievements

    This is more of a gaming question than just about the flying. I was looking at some of the achievements that can be earned with flights in the game. Some of them require to land or fly "without assistance". I was trying to get the goal for landing on a grass runway
    "without assistance". I turned off the assistance that I could see, which were the landing assistance for the traffic pattern and the taxiing path. Also the ATC copilot AI. But it still didn't give the win to me. What else would be the assistance it cares about?

    Pat

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Aptos, California
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patinthedesert View Post
    This is more of a gaming question than just about the flying. I was looking at some of the achievements that can be earned with flights in the game. Some of them require to land or fly "without assistance". I was trying to get the goal for landing on a grass runway
    "without assistance". I turned off the assistance that I could see, which were the landing assistance for the traffic pattern and the taxiing path. Also the ATC copilot AI. But it still didn't give the win to me. What else would be the assistance it cares about?

    Pat
    Are you flying bush trips? You lose points anytime you click the GPS map to get the plane back on track.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    Are you flying bush trips? You lose points anytime you click the GPS map to get the plane back on track.
    No need to do this, ever. You can keep track of your location with LittleNavMap or an equivalent app, with no penalty.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    Are you flying bush trips? You lose points anytime you click the GPS map to get the plane back on track.
    No, not doing the bush trips. I started one once some time ago and I was not ready to do the navigation on my own. I now know I could do the workaround with one of the apps like Little Navmap if I needed to.
    I was setting up my own short flight to land at a grass runway in Michigan. But even with a good landing I did not get the credit. So I was trying to interpret what it meant about the assistance restriction

    Pat

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I think I found out what the sim means about no assistance. Go to Options and Assistance, then set the Piloting and Navigating to 'Hard' instead of Easy, Medium or Custom. It turns off a lot of the little gadgets. I have not yet proved it works but I think it must be it.
    It is kind of annoying for finding the grass runway with no tag to pop up for the airfield. No pavement, no tower, no lights. It was hard to see. I almost flew right over it until I checked the map on the MFD screen.

    Pat

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patinthedesert View Post
    I think I found out what the sim means about no assistance. Go to Options and Assistance, then set the Piloting and Navigating to 'Hard' instead of Easy, Medium or Custom. It turns off a lot of the little gadgets. I have not yet proved it works but I think it must be it.
    It is kind of annoying for finding the grass runway with no tag to pop up for the airfield. No pavement, no tower, no lights. It was hard to see. I almost flew right over it until I checked the map on the MFD screen.

    Pat
    Gee, just like real life!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    7,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
    Gee, just like real life!
    Gee, you took the words right out of my mouth.

    I guess I should really say that there are plenty of airports like that in real life -- hard to spot. I've seen plenty of those in FSX and P3D with ORBX. Nice to know they're in Fs2020 too.
    Last edited by lnuss; 05-09-2021 at 08:51 PM.

    Larry N.

    As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
    Gee, just like real life!
    OK, I probably deserve that. But I figure if I have hit a problem there are probably others that have had the same issue. The flight, a very short hop, if you want to do it. Flint MI KFNT to Waite field 29M. Grass runway among green fields and trees.
    I did this flight 5 times in 3 different planes and never triggered the achievement prize. I think I'm giving up on the achievements.

    Pat

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    7,488

    Default

    OK, I probably deserve that.
    Well, perhaps not. Thinking it over, it may be that there are few people who really understand how hard it can be in the real world to spot many airports, even some with hard surfaces. And some like Addison in the Dallas area are difficult to separate from the surrounding city.

    Sims like FSX didn't help people really understand that except with something like ORBX, since the default FSX, and even P3D (at least through V2), made even the loneliest unpaved airports relatively easy to spot -- none of them blended into the terrain, unless you had ORBX or something similar (if there was anything else that way).

    Larry N.

    As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Similar Threads

  1. Seeking Certificates and Achievements
    By JD-Slow-Thumbs in forum The Outer Marker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2020, 04:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •